Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that makes you the most nuts on RB. The only thing I can think of more nuts is the road racing sidecars. I remember seeing them live at Bathurst. I still have my bike licence but have not swung a leg over one for more than a decade. Had a new FZ750 in 1985 and a few trail bikes including an XR500 in Darwin.
No way in hell I would have got on one of those things haha.
A mate did the Aus Safari on a MX sidecar. I Think he gave up all bikes after that!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I’ve been a motorcyclist all my life. The bike that got me hooked was an 1882 rm80. Countless bikes latter I only kept 2. 06 triumph Daytona 675 and an rgv 250. The Daytona will come back out this year for summer.
A few bikes have stood out 2001yzf 426 (wow), husky txc 450 (coming off a husky te450 this thing was a blast), 2004 r6 (my first proper introduction to road bikes) and definitely the triump Daytona. I’ll dig out some photos at some stage
The YZf426 is the only bike that really scared me in the bush. Nephew had one as a sponsored rider, a box of go faster bits the size of the bike came with it. No idea what it was putting out but I spent an hour on it. It was ridiculously powerful. Suspension was crazy stiff unless you were pushing really really hard. When I finished I couldn't stand up. Next day I ached all over. He went from an RM125 then YZ250 to a YZf400 then this. After the 426 he had a WR450 which I loved and #1 now has one. Such a great bike. The RM was good and you could just wrench the throttle open any where, the 250 was a bit meh, not as good at all. Lots of old stuff too, the ancient YZs which were impossible for me to ride fast, just too heavy and the frames were rubbish compared to new stuff.

Ridden a few road bikes, RSR Aprillias, R6 and R1s and was thinking about a GS1250R, well the GS1300R M but too too too many dollars. Always worried about getting pulled over on the road bikes but they can't suspend a licence you don't have... I think.

I filled in and had a play on a sidebar at the speedway and had somevrides on a slider. Lots of fun but we weren't going flat out, just tuning the thing.

My dirt riding though was much tamer, I will dig out some trials stuff from the archives.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve had ZXR’s , GSXR750 Harley Sportster-with a hot motor and way too much money spent to make ‘it handle ‘ ….errr opps .
A very long time ago - I worked for Suzuki Australia , the 80’s n 90’s were a fun time , I really wanted an a RGV250 ….

And if one of these ZXR’ appeared , I would be all over it - they seem to have disappeared .

Attachments

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Always worried about getting pulled over on the road bikes but they can't suspend a license you don't have... I think.
Ha ha... you know, back in the day, as in my day, I'm talking the 70's... most of the 1 percenters, the ones wearing a skunge or patch... only had their L plates. That was pre power to weight restrictions, and the reasoning was, you couldn't lose your L Plates... just a fine.

Scotty675

Cable thief
The YZf426 is the only bike that really scared me in the bush. Nephew had one as a sponsored rider, a box of go faster bits the size of the bike came with it. No idea what it was putting out but I spent an hour on it. It was ridiculously powerful. Suspension was crazy stiff unless you were pushing really really hard. When I finished I couldn't stand up. Next day I ached all over. He went from an RM125 then YZ250 to a YZf400 then this. After the 426 he had a WR450 which I loved and #1 now has one. Such a great bike. The RM was good and you could just wrench the throttle open any where, the 250 was a bit meh, not as good at all. Lots of old stuff too, the ancient YZs which were impossible for me to ride fast, just too heavy and the frames were rubbish compared to new stuff.

Ridden a few road bikes, RSR Aprillias, R6 and R1s and was thinking about a GS1250R, well the GS1300R M but too too too many dollars. Always worried about getting pulled over on the road bikes but they can't suspend a licence you don't have... I think.

I filled in and had a play on a sidebar at the speedway and had somevrides on a slider. Lots of fun but we weren't going flat out, just tuning the thing.

My dirt riding though was much tamer, I will dig out some trials stuff from the archives.
The 426 was a brilliant bike, I wish I kept it. I remember the early 2000s well. I had a wr 400 and loved it, went to the yz426 for 2 years I think (that means I liked the bike) then back to a wr450 (electric start oh yeah). The 426 was snappier than the 450 that’s for sure. Played with yzf 250s for a couple of years then jumped ship to husky’s

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I've been obsessed with dirtbikes since I was a little kid and have ridden pretty constantly for the last 20+ years. Also an (ex) motorcycle mechanic by trade and always have some sort of project on the go. Tidying up a 95 XR250 to put on club reg currently.

Hanging for lockdown to be over to get back out for a squirt

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve had ZXR’s , GSXR750 Harley Sportster-with a hot motor and way too much money spent to make ‘it handle ‘ ….errr opps .
A very long time ago - I worked for Suzuki Australia , the 80’s n 90’s were a fun time , I really wanted an a RGV250 ….

And if one of these ZXR’ appeared , I would be all over it - they seem to have disappeared .
You pricked my interest with the RGV lol, were the go to first bike in my day. I really wonder how many of them would be left, they had a high rate of being thrown down the road. 2 on bikesales wanting upwards of $12k o_O

LPG

likes thicc birds
What Electric start did for dirtbikes is like dropper posts for mtb.
You mean make it so people could ride challenging trails without stopping off the side of the trail to put the seat down / kickstart he bike? :)

My only input for this thread: I used to have a drz400 and really enjoyed it. I don't have it anymore but have more bikes. I'm happy. It takes too much time to get organised to go for a good motorbike ride, I've got heaps of awesome mtb trails on the 35 minute drive between home and work which I was choosing every time.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I enquired as to getting a Motorcycle section similar to the E-Bike section to keep it all in one place.
The answer was that it currently doesn’t really fit with the forums - it was then suggested to me to make a thread to chat in.
I have seen a few people here and there with interest let’s see how this thread goes. :)
Doesn't fit with the forums???? Called rotorburn innit! Got rotors, post it up. BMX or anything canti... GTFO!!!:D:D:p

Minlak

custom titis
My current bike has a 6 axis thingy that gives you lots of information - one such thing is lean angle - apparently 49degs is the max you should go - I have been trying to legitimately get over 30 best I have I done so far is 28 lol - I swear I am getting around all the corners I want at a speed that I would have sworn would be over 30 deg lean - guess gotta try harder.

*legit lean angle not looking at cheating the angle by laying it over for no reason :)

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap

Not cheap, but seems to be all there. I had exactly this bike years ago and even took it to the IOM TT races. The stupid things we do when we're young...I wasnt racing the TT I hasten to add, just watching. Its the only sporting event I would want to go back and watch. UNBELIEVABLE...!!!