Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Never been a motorbike person but recently got my son a 2015 KTM 125 SX - oh dear - now I have to learn about two strokes. Looks like we already need a new spark plug. This will be a steep learning curve I'm sure.

Minlak

custom titis
Never been a motorbike person but recently got my son a 2015 KTM 125 SX - oh dear - now I have to learn about two strokes. Looks like we already need a new spark plug. This will be a steep learning curve I'm sure.
It’s going to be a huge learning curve - you wheeled it out of the shed it needs a rebuild - started it yup that’s a rebuild - went for a ride yup another rebuild - buy the spares in bulk :)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Learn the ins and outs of your air screw, if you find you're fouling plugs too often, put a smaller pilot jet in it...or just twist the throttle and hold it pinned....prinnnnnngg ding ding ding baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaa!
This vid should teach you most of what you need to know.

Minlak

custom titis
2 stroke Powerband might also make for an interesting learning curve :) Make sure the riders are always ATGAT especially new riders that want a go that swear they know what they are doing.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
2 stroke Powerband might also make for an interesting learning curve :) Make sure the riders are always ATGAT especially new riders that want a go that swear they know what they are doing.
You might be surprised how smooth the power delivery would be on that 125SX, still no 250F but they aren't the on/off switch they used to be.

Minlak

custom titis
You might be surprised how smooth the power delivery would be on that 125SX, still no 250F but they aren't the on/off switch they used to be.
Been a while since I have been on a 2 stroke - they probably are better now :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nephew had an RMX125 works bike some 10 years ago. Ish. I expected the old on off power delivery like the YZ250 a mate had in the dark ages. Really surprised me. There was usuable power from maybe 4,000 rpm through to redline. Yes it came on stronger after 6,000rpm but not the sudden dump of old. You could easily keep it in the power band but less of an issue chasing gears if you dropped off. My 290 HRC trials bike was more like a low revving 4 stroke than a 2 stroke. Plenty of low torque for 2nd and 3rd gear then had the explosive power of a 2 stroke for jumping. That had a multi stage reed or something from memory. 1st gear was good for dumping newbies on their arses.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
You can certainly tell when it hits powerband, and the young bloke has brown trousered himself trying to do mono's but doesn't seem to be the whack in the pants I keep hearing about.

Minlak

custom titis
You can certainly tell when it hits powerband, and the young bloke has brown trousered himself trying to do mono's but doesn't seem to be the whack in the pants I keep hearing about.
In the old days it was more of an issue with people thinking something was wrong. Maybe felt slow off the line and you kind of look around and down etc seeing if everything is ok then bam it hits power band - was never really an issue if you were accelerating super hard and expecting power

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I succumbed to group pressure and will not be getting a Suzuki DR 400 - I hope you are all happy
The Doctors are a good solid, comfortable bike.

Butt...

What you really need to do is properly educate yourself by watching 6 or 9 hours of Ronnie Mac content. Emulate his riding technique and general approach to life and you'll be set!

4-strokes-suck