Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Selling my landcruiser soon, big question is do I spend the money on a second hand ~2013 F800GS or spend up and go a Tenere 700?

Currently splitting the costs of a F800GS but the old man can’t keep up offroad when he’s on his Honda Crosstourer, so I’ll be buying another bike so he can run the current F800GS we have. If he’s on the BMW I’m either not there or I’m on my TE300 and fuck he’s got no hope then haha.

F800 pro’s: I know I like them, smooth, reliable and the year models I like are much cheaper than the Yamaha so it leaves me money to get suspension sorted (forks are WAY too soft, but magically still harsh on small bumps. Rear shock undersprung, and abit of a pogo at speed offroad).

Tenere pro’s: oooooo shiny. Something new. Apparently more dirtbikey than F800? Seat certainly looks that way and it’s reasonably slim for a 200kg 700cc ADV bike. By all accounts reliable and solid.

Choosing bikes is fun, but the doubt is real.

Yes I know ADV bikes are the gravel bikes of the moto world.
No I don’t care.
What about the earlier Yamaha XT660R? Lighter and obviously cheaper. Reliable efi motor developed by Yamaha Europe and lots of aftermarket parts.

After my honeymoon trip on motorbike from London to Beijing I'm very suspicious of BMWs. Admittedly my KTM was a maintenance pig, at least the problems were fixable. The BMWs had trip ending problems like fucked transaxles and punching the shock through the swingarm. My wife's DR650 was the unkillable cockroach on that trip.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What about the earlier Yamaha XT660R? Lighter and obviously cheaper. Reliable efi motor developed by Yamaha Europe and lots of aftermarket parts.

After my honeymoon trip on motorbike from London to Beijing I'm very suspicious of BMWs. Admittedly my KTM was a maintenance pig, at least the problems were fixable. The BMWs had trip ending problems like fucked transaxles and punching the shock through the swingarm. My wife's DR650 was the unkillable cockroach on that trip.

I thought about it but don’t really want a big single.

Well, if I was going that route I’d grab a husky 701, But I can’t be arsed checking valve clearanceevery 10,000km.

What BMW’s? I know the shock bolts weak but firming up compression and upping spring rate to stop hard bottom outs sorts out that problem on F800’s.

The more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards an F800. The Tenere will cost a fortune before I’m done with it and still won’t ride like an enduro bike, so I may aswel accept they’ll never come close to my TE300 and grab the cheaper, more comfortable on road BMW.

Oddjob

I thought about it but don’t really want a big single.

Well, if I was going that route I’d grab a husky 701, But I can’t be arsed checking valve clearanceevery 10,000km.

What BMW’s? I know the shock bolts weak but firming up compression and upping spring rate to stop hard bottom outs sorts out that problem on F800’s.

The more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards an F800. The Tenere will cost a fortune before I’m done with it and still won’t ride like an enduro bike, so I may aswel accept they’ll never come close to my TE300 and grab the cheaper, more comfortable on road BMW.
BMW R1200gs adventures were the ones that fucked their transaxles and punched out the shock mounts from pot holes. There was a F800 which cooked its piston rings.

What about a Triumph Tiger 800?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
BMW R1200gs adventures were the ones that fucked their transaxles and punched out the shock mounts from pot holes. There was a F800 which cooked its piston rings.

What about a Triumph Tiger 800?

I’ve ridden one and it was a little meh. Wasn’t bad at all, but the ergo’s of the F800 suit me better.

Looking at a few bikes this weekend (camping and moto trip cancelled cause I’m on call now, fuck it new bike time), will see what happens.

Oddjob

I’ve ridden one and it was a little meh. Wasn’t bad at all, but the ergo’s of the F800 suit me better.

Looking at a few bikes this weekend (camping and moto trip cancelled cause I’m on call now, fuck it new bike time), will see what happens.
You euro loving weirdo. Next thing you will have a Moto Guzzi.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

My only, admittedly minimal experience, was very satisfactory.

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
Remember the early World Superbikes… Gobert, Crafar and co backing it in big time
Loved that era of racing.

The final round of the 2000 World Supersport Championship at Brands Hatch would still be one of the best races I have ever seen.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I was at this race, Melandri had won before the race even started, he was ON that weekend and did a similar drift while waving to the crowd in morning warm up coming out of Siberia, but what a way to finish... anyone who knows how fast turn 12 at Phillip Island is is knows this is ridiculous.