Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

@Lazmo I'm seriously contemplating racetech valves and springs for my vtr front end set up for my riding weight, I'd like to do the rear shock one day but the bike is getting on so maybe not.

I'd like to play with cbr calipers as well for it but that's probably overkill for me

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Adds gravitas to your post

On a more serious note, how do you find the Wee-Strom 2 up? Like you I've had much more powerful bikes, but am seriously contemplating a 650 for commuting and gentle rides through the hills with the other half. Is it up to the task? I know its not going to be a rocketship, are there any downsides to owning one?
There are a few around at decent prices at the moment.
Yep, I’m very happy with the VStrom. Mine is a 2006 and I bought it in 2015 with 14K on the clock, in like new condition. I’ve since done another 20K on it. I immediately replaced the rock-hard original tyres with the softest BattleAxes I could get on it, dropped the forks to get it to steer better, did the front screen angling mod to stop buffeting and fitted a Delkovic carbon pipe. I’ve commuted on it a bit, and it is great, but lane filtering is pretty hard work as the bars and barkbusters are pretty wide, but the riding position and huge mirrors provides plenty of visibility of what’s going on around you. As far as carrying pillions go, my Wife and all three Daughters really like going on the back. The rise on the pillion part of the seat is not stupidly high, and it has good grab rails, though all my girls hang onto me. The power is modest but enough for two up, is progressive and smooth, but don’t expect instant huge amounts of oomph. It’s enough for me, as I’m trying to be more sane these days. One upside with pillions is the easy access rear shock preload knob, which stops it turning into a chopper with someone on the back… see the pic. The only downside to the bike, is they are very tall, and it could be an issue if you have ducks disease. Other than that, I love it… it can be hustled, if you put some body language into it, but it feels really good just cruising too… plus it’s a 90 degree twin, my favourite motor config, and with the pipe on it, sounds a bit Ducatiesque. Yes, I’d recommend one… but you’re right, it’s no rocketship.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
@Lazmo I'm seriously contemplating racetech valves and springs for my vtr front end set up for my riding weight, I'd like to do the rear shock one day but the bike is getting on so maybe not.

I'd like to play with cbr calipers as well for it but that's probably overkill for me

Steve, I can heartily recommend racetech stuff. I’ve had a frontend and a modded Showa rear shock raceteched on my Ducati 900SS, by Clements, and the bike was the best handling thing I’ve ever ridden. He also did my GSXR750 trackbike, which was a total dog stock, and much improved afterwards, but still not a patch on the Duc. I don’t know who the guru is these days, but I’d say your forks will be way bettererer.

cammas

Seamstress
Yep, I’m very happy with the VStrom. Mine is a 2006 and I bought it in 2015 with 14K on the clock, in like new condition. I’ve since done another 20K on it. I immediately replaced the rock-hard original tyres with the softest BattleAxes I could get on it, dropped the forks to get it to steer better, did the front screen angling mod to stop buffeting and fitted a Delkovic carbon pipe. I’ve commuted on it a bit, and it is great, but lane filtering is pretty hard work as the bars and barkbusters are pretty wide, but the riding position and huge mirrors provides plenty of visibility of what’s going on around you. As far as carrying pillions go, my Wife and all three Daughters really like going on the back. The rise on the pillion part of the seat is not stupidly high, and it has good grab rails, though all my girls hang onto me. The power is modest but enough for two up, is progressive and smooth, but don’t expect instant huge amounts of oomph. It’s enough for me, as I’m trying to be more sane these days. One upside with pillions is the easy access rear shock preload knob, which stops it turning into a chopper with someone on the back… see the pic. The only downside to the bike, is they are very tall, and it could be an issue if you have ducks disease. Other than that, I love it… it can be hustled, if you put some body language into it, but it feels really good just cruising too… plus it’s a 90 degree twin, my favourite motor config, and with the pipe on it, sounds a bit Ducatiesque. Yes, I’d recommend one… but you’re right, it’s no rocketship.

View attachment 390062
Loved mine but stupidly sold, from reading on the interwebs an easy way to lower the seat is to grab one from the 1000, apparently they are lower.

Beaker74

Likes Dirt

Anyone after an RZ500?

$35000, located in Brisbane. I'm happy to go and collect it if anyone wants it ;)

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Thanks for that @Lazmo, I'm not after a rocketship anymore, those days are behind me I think.
The seat height is not an issue, I'm 6ft, so not Rotorburn tall, but tall enough.
Just need to find the right one now.
6ft, you’ll be sweet. I’m 5,10 and don’t really have an issue once I’m on it, it’s just my aging body sometimes struggles to get on and off it.

It was my moto journo mates who put me onto the 650, they all raved about it, as sort of a cross between a Swiss Army knife and a 2 wheeled SUV. But they tell me the late model newer 1000 is now really good too.

Good luck in your hunt.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So what does one say to my neighbour that warms up his triumph for a few minutes at 5.30 am before heading to his shift job? Waking us and a several other neighbours up in the process?

It’s a modern fuel injected bike - it doesn’t need it, just start and go. Probably doing more damage idling rich and washing oil off the bores…

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
So what does one say to my neighbour that warms up his triumph for a few minutes at 5.30 am before heading to his shift job? Waking us and a several other neighbours up in the process?

It’s a modern fuel injected bike - it doesn’t need it, just start and go. Probably doing more damage idling rich and washing oil off the bores…
Tell him to pull his heads in.

Minlak

custom titis

Welcome to the coin flip
1) You say hey dude I know I have never spoken to you before and we are not "Neighbourly" at all but could you please be quiet when you go to your work in the freezing cold at 5:30 am
a) he goes oh shit you are right I am so sorry I will push it out of the neighbourhood and then start it
b) you now get rev bombs at 5:30 am to lull you back to sleep

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Welcome to the coin flip
1) You say hey dude I know I have never spoken to you before and we are not "Neighbourly" at all but could you please be quiet when you go to your work in the freezing cold at 5:30 am
a) he goes oh shit you are right I am so sorry I will push it out of the neighbourhood and then start it
b) you now get rev bombs at 5:30 am to lull you back to sleep
Yeah, that about sums it up… Sigh. Humans…

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Play really loud music at midnight

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Get up and go for a morning ride before work?

PS unless your neighbour is going to jump into bed with you and start wriggling, you're going to get zero sympathy from parents.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Maybe some education on now modern fuel injected engines don’t need to be warmed up. Give it 10 seconds tops for oil pressure to completely stabilise and for the ECU to settle the idle, and you’re away. Don’t beat on it for a couple of minutes obviously, but riding it will warm it up the fastest and minimise the time running cold and rich washing oil off the bores…