More trails for Tassie! Burnie MTB Park

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Another new development on the Northwest Coast of Tassie is the construction of the Burnie MTB Park.

Achieved by the work put in by the Eum Bay Trail Alliance (an arm of the Cradle Coast Mountain Bike Club) as managed to get the Burnie city council behind the first stage with funding a urban trail and pump track. The contract for the first stage has gone to RideMore to construct.

Stage two is going to be some proper single track MTB in local bush land.

nathanm

Eats Squid
hadn't heard of "Ridemore" before. Interesting website, nothing quite like a vaping excavator driver with 2 years experience to knock up a bunch of Dirt Jump...........sorry a Mtb park :D
At least people will have a reason to go to Burnie again. I've certainly always needed an excuse to head back to my home town.

Stredda

hadn't heard of "Ridemore" before. Interesting website, nothing quite like a vaping excavator driver with 2 years experience to knock up a bunch of Dirt Jump...........sorry a Mtb park :D
At least people will have a reason to go to Burnie again. I've certainly always needed an excuse to head back to my home town.
They built the Ulverstone bike park and the Kingston dirt jump park. They seem pretty good a dirt jump style developments. Not sure the full reason why the council chose them but I think that they should handle this one pretty well.
What most of us are really looking for is some traditional MTB trails, and the Emu Bay Trail alliance guys are working towards this.
The council sees more value in a Pump Track as it's big and visible (They can also see themselves cutting the ribbon in front of it). Trails on the other hand don't always give that easy to see value factor unfortunately.
Although single track is what we are working towards an urban development like this does show government bodies how popular bike infrastructure is.

nathanm

Eats Squid
They built the Ulverstone bike park and the Kingston dirt jump park. They seem pretty good a dirt jump style developments. Not sure the full reason why the council chose them but we'll see how it goes I suppose.
What most of us are looking for is some traditional MTB trails, and the Emu Bay Trail alliance guys are working towards this.
The council sees more value in a Pump Track as it's big and visible (They can also see themselves cutting the ribbon in front of it). Trails on the other hand don't always give that easy to see value factor unfortunately.
Although single track is what we are working towards an urban development like this does show government bodies how popular bike infrastructure is.
It's no Water Slide, but a bike park in Ulvie would be cool to check out. Kingston dirt jump park? Is that different to the "bike park" Dirt Art built? If not then, well, ergh.

Yeah councils love a quick and visible pump track and there's certainly good value in them. Good to see a local company getting the job as well. Market is certainly getting crowded now with so many local trail building companies and apparently all you need to do to get started is buy an excavator and the attitude of "Let’s go build some sick shit and get paid for it” .

Stredda

It's no Water Slide, but a bike park in Ulvie would be cool to check out. Kingston dirt jump park? Is that different to the "bike park" Dirt Art built? If not then, well, ergh.
They recently built a pump track at the Kingston park according to their Facebook page. I'm assuming this is in addition to the dirt jump area.

Yes there is a lot of little trail companies out there now, a bit like shuttle companies and skills coaches. I suppose it reflects the growth in the MTB market. There will be a limit for trail development though, not sure when that will happen but it probably isn't that far away.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
They recently built a pump track at the Kingston park according to their Facebook page. I'm assuming this is in addition to the dirt jump area.

Yes there is a lot of little trail companies out there now, a bit like shuttle companies and skills coaches. I suppose it reflects the growth in the MTB market. There will be a limit for trail development though, not sure when that will happen but it probably isn't that far away.
There are definitely a few who are more socials than substance and when it comes to remedy of defects, they are nowhere to be seen...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Can we get that in plain english? And who exactly do you speak of?
I don't fancy your chances of a public name and shame but in Acko's line of work, he'll either have experienced it first hand or been made aware of who to steer clear of.

Bloody solar installers have sold their vans and bought excavators.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I don't fancy your chances of a public name and shame but in Acko's line of work, he'll either have experienced it first hand or been made aware of who to steer clear of.

Bloody solar installers have sold their vans and bought excavators.
Pretty sure I know who he is referring to. There's really only one dirt artist in Australia who continually builds trails that crumble as designed so they can sell a maintenance package.

tobbogonist

a registered member
The lovely girlfriend just showed me a video of the construction going on in Burnie and said 'look honey their making bermes for you'.
Moving back in June.
Is there much of a scene on the nw coast? I wouldnt mind being a part of something.
Will spend a few months in Georgetown first as its only about an hour from Derby and I deserve a treat.

Last edited:

Stredda

The lovely girlfriend just showed me a video of the construction going on in Burnie and said 'look honey their making bermes for you'.
Moving back in June.
Is there much of a scene on the nw coast? I wouldnt mind being a part of something.
Will spend a few months in Georgetown first as its only about an hour from Derby and I deserve a treat.
The Cradle Coast Mountain Bike club is the main club on the NW Coast. We do a little bit of racing and have been mainly focused on trail development over the past few years, mainly the Penguin MTB Park and Dial Range but also involved with the Wild Mersey trails and a few of our members in the Emu Bay Trail Alliance have been instrumental in this development in Burnie with more still to come.

George Town will also have it's own trail network towards the end of the year too.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Nice I will definately be looking you up when i get back. Georgetown is exciting, i friend lives there and im trying my hardest to get him into riding. There will be no excuses.

tobbogonist

a registered member
The Cradle Coast Mountain Bike club is the main club on the NW Coast. We do a little bit of racing and have been mainly focused on trail development over the past few years, mainly the Penguin MTB Park and Dial Range but also involved with the Wild Mersey trails and a few of our members in the Emu Bay Trail Alliance have been instrumental in this development in Burnie with more still to come.

George Town will also have it's own trail network towards the end of the year too.
I have joined the cradle coast MTB club on Facebook, will try to get to the next meeting. It might clash with my bosses idea of reasonable work hours though.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't seen much work going on re the Burnie development recently, I hear there might have been a barrier/dispute of sorts, but haven't heard much on the details - anyone know how this is proceeding? Chatted to plenty of people who are super keen for it, but not much in the way of build updates.

tobbogonist

a registered member
It has disappeared from the Burnie city council project page and I can't find it on the 2021 budget. I'm going to as around this week and see what I can't find.

Stredda

Haven't seen much work going on re the Burnie development recently, I hear there might have been a barrier/dispute of sorts, but haven't heard much on the details - anyone know how this is proceeding? Chatted to plenty of people who are super keen for it, but not much in the way of build updates.
As far as I know Ridemore were back on site. I'll have to go have a look up there now I'm back working in Burnie.