more toys for the project studio

Ty

Eats Squid
thanks to the guys who bought my planet X and parts, the money is making my home studio much more functional.
the big flat thing is a mic pre amp with vacuum tubes circuits, it sounds great, nice natural warm sound. the mic is made buy rode microphones who do some of the machine work for ariel industries. just messing around this afternoon i'm stoked at the quality of the sound, i can't wait to lay down some proper tracks.

Ty

Eats Squid
microphones put out such a low voltage signal that they need to be boosted up before you can do anything with them, modern preamps have circuit that are so well made they sound unnatural because people are used to the sound of music made with older analog gear, useing computers to edit the audio doesn't help either. so many modern pre amps (the signal booster) come with tube circuits that you can turn on to "colour" the sound, it makes it sound more pleasent to listern to and not as "cold" or digital.

the large studio microphone kinda works with same principals as a speaker, with a larger diaphragm (simlar to a speaker cone) being able to pic up sound more clearly, think of it like a 1 inch speaker putting out bass compared to a 10 inch woofer. the 10 inch will always be much clearer at all volumes. the problem with a woffer though is when you go to put out high frequencys it moves too slowly and sounds muddy, this is because the weight of the cone. the diaphragm on the mic is about 6 microns thick so there is almost no wieght to slow the movement so it picks up a frequency rage of 10hz to 25khz varying about 3 dB along that range.

in simple terms it makes the material i record sound more like stuff that comes out of a real studio rather than a spare room in someones house.

Ty

Eats Squid
personaly i work on drum beats, instrumental hip-hop, trip-hop, dj shadow, quannum projects, mr scruff, type stuff. thats mainly done with my turntables and digital drums.

but i record alot of rock/orignals stuff for friends, up and comings etc etc, for the last year i've had exclusive access to a full studio, 48 channel digital desk, $3000 microphones, all the pro tools plug-ins i could ever wish for but deal is coming to an end in a few months so i decided to get my home gear up to scrach.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah if you do let me know, I'll have a chat to the old man (if you haven't put two and two together yet, check my name in my sig :wink: ).

Ty

Eats Squid
do your folks make cabinets aswell as heads?

p.s i hate to say it but i'm in love with the current fender cyber twin, it may not always sound right but damn it's a useful box for when you don't want to cart alot of gear around.

wombat

Lives in a hole
We're doing the heads, combos and quad boxes, check the site, the cabs should be up soon. There's always more stuff in the works though, he's a noisy bugger :p
If you want something in particular though send an email, dad knows heaps more than I do.

SquarkyD

Likes Dirt
nice!

i've got at my place
Digidesign Digi001
Behringer MIC 2200 (same as urs)
Rode NT-3
CAD GXL-2400
JBL 2408 Monitors

btw the digi is for sale if u know anyone interested ;)

i'm currently in a 24track analogue studio and damn, i LOVE it! mixed down one of my tracks today, had a total of about 12 channel inserts (eventide, t.c., lexicon, urei, drawmer, BSS outboard gear) all real gear, none of this plugin jazz :p

Ty

Eats Squid
how much for the 001?

i was close to getting a NT3 but the NT1-a was just such a bargain, and i've got a couple of 57s for instrument work and general stuff.
i've been useing a 24/48 track control 24 studio with Protools HD for the past 18 months and damn i'm going to miss have a cupboard fulled with a few neumanns u87s and older AKG stuff, damn changes of management messing up my recording.

i'm a plugin slave personaly but i love the sound of urie/universal audio 1176 compressor, if i had a heap of cash that would be the one of the first bit of really nice outboard i would buy (after some thing more practical like a T.C m2000)

have you managed to get the tube on the 2200 really cranking? i've been ABing with my NT-1 between some focusrite pres and the ultragain and i'm not hearing much "glass" in there (the focusrite pres are a bit quiter but thats about it)

SquarkyD

Likes Dirt
yeah i havent really explored the ultragain yet, i've just been using it on vocal stuff for its warmth.

as for the digi i'm willing to let it go, boxed all manuals etc with a 8ru rack frame for $1500. its served me well but its time to move on...and get a bank loan :twisted:

Ty

Eats Squid
yeah i'm not getting much warmth through it, well not as much as i would of liked, i can't really complain you get alot of pre for your money.