More good news from Tassie

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Wow

That is looking amazing!

The north of Tasmania is doing great things for mountain biking!

Shame that progression on Mt Wellington is met with such opposition, or Tasmania could turn into a serious mountain bike destination!!

I still hold a glimmer of hope for maybe one or two new tails on the mountain at some stage!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Wow indeed.

I'd travel the straight for that. Hell, I'd swim the straight with my bike on my back for that.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
That is looking amazing!

The north of Tasmania is doing great things for mountain biking!

Shame that progression on Mt Wellington is met with such opposition, or Tasmania could turn into a serious mountain bike destination!!

I still hold a glimmer of hope for maybe one or two new tails on the mountain at some stage!
Penguin just opened a MTB park as well. http://www.tassietrails.org/8-routes/mtb/88-penguin-mtb-park

This ride near Mt Wellington looks good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V07PQjdBGr4

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
^That ride is on mount Wellington, not near it, and speaking of North South Track I would have thought committing to a 10km purpose built multi-use (but cycling orientated) trail leading across the mountain foothills into the bike park trail network was a pretty good indication of a willingness to support the sport on behalf of the mountain landholders, tasdisco?

It takes time for people to see the benefit of bike trails.
Hopefully these northern trails open up a huge amount more for bike tracks else where (and change councils attitudes towards riders and the trails). I answered a public consultation survey a couple of months back about more and longer trails out the back of mount Wellington. So hope for the south still.
It is a shame that I'm likely to be moved overseas before the north east trails are finished.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
^That ride is on mount Wellington, not near it, and speaking of North South Track I would have thought committing to a 10km purpose built multi-use (but cycling orientated) trail leading across the mountain foothills into the bike park trail network was a pretty good indication of a willingness to support the sport on behalf of the mountain landholders, tasdisco?
I suspect he was talking about the wellington park management trust's recent decision to ignore the recommendations of the long awaited greater hobart mountain bike master plan.

Taken from: http://www.wellingtonpark.org.au/as...masterplan_implementationupdate_april2013.pdf

 As was reported previously the HCC submitted a works permit request to the Wellington Park Management Trust (WPMT) in the middle of 2012 for converting a number of tracks to multi-use in Wellington Park. These trails include: Lower Radfords (Radfords Track to Bracken Lane Fire Trail connection), Middle Track and the unnamed track that runs behind houses from Bracken Lane to Fern Tree Park. These were chosen as the first to request as they were seen as “easy win” projects unlikely to cause issues. HCC completed a risk assessment and design details for managing speed and multi-use on the trails that was included in the request.
The permits for works on all of these trails have since been rejected by the WPMT due to potential issues with “social values”. The WPMT has now stated they will need to conduct a social values study on all tracks prior to approving any shift to multi-use. No time-frame has been provided by the WPMT on when this study will commence or be completed.
The committee made note that the MTB Master Plan that included these trail details was widely supported through extensive public consultation via the master plan itself, as well as through the Wellington Park Management Plan review. The implementation committee raised concerns over the implications that even these “easy win” projects have been declined, as the trails are integral to the integrity of the trail networks designed within the MTB Master Plan. There were also concerns raised around the unknown time-frame of when the WPMT will complete a social values study, that will then at least allow consideration of the requests.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Launceston City Council declined to contribute to the Northern Tasmania MTB plan well $60K maintenance for up keep citing that they just don't think they will get the numbers of MTBers from interstate or anywhere else coming to Launceston and surrounding areas to use these facilities. Some people in so called power have no vision.:decision:

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Hey Floody, what Cramhobart quoted is exactly what I was referring to!

The proximity of Mt Wellington to Hobart and the airport, could make it a very attractive draw card for the mainland mountain bike community if it provided more than one (be it very good and appreciated!!) available single track. The plan listed many small changes that would have had little impact on the mountain and required very little construction, which could have started the ball rolling.

Just saying!!!

floody

Wheel size expert
Yes, I was aware of that. Cannot expect everything overnight. WPMT is very much railroaded by the walking lobby, something similar needs to be rallied for bikes. It has been what, 3 months since the release of the masterplan? Its going to take some time no doubt.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Come ride here I think we may compete.
Congrats on the MASSIVE funding!
Thanks but no thanks.I did ride up there a quite a few years back to hot and humid riding up there.Plus all that rain in the wet season.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Apologies, I was referring to the implementation update. I should have remembered the release date of the overall plan as I was involved with it at the beginning. All the same 18 months is a fairly short time in the scheme of things. I don't think the issue of trail development is done and dusted yet.

Anyway! There are clearly other places to ride in Tassie far apart from an iconic rock overlooking urban Hobart, and this Derby development should be a good thing.