minimum steerer length?

Oracle

Likes Dirt
I'm building up a Yeti 575 and received the frame, forks and a bunch of parts yesterday.

The LBS I bought the stem, frame and forks cut the steerer tube and installed the star nut for me; but, I'm a bit concerned they've cut the steerer too short. I was going to run a couple of spacers, but with the Chris King headset (Sotte Voce no threadset) and Race Face Dues XC stem the steerer tube is 12mm short of the top of the stem, which is 40mm height.

I definitely won't be able to run any spacers, and am concerned the top (of two) stem bolts may not provide enough grip to the steerer tube. Should I take the forks back, or will it be ok so long as everything is done up nice and tight?

Jilbo

Likes Dirt
I went through all this recently when I purchased a set of forks and the steerer was 15mm shorter than stated, after talking to a lot of people the general consenses from around the traps was the bare minimum you want is for the steerer tube to end in the middle of the top bolt of the stem if that makes sense.

So depending on the layout of your stem as long as the top of the steerer tube lines up with the center of the highest bolt on the stem youy should be all good!

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This does seem to make sense.

I went through all this recently when I purchased a set of forks and the steerer was 15mm shorter than stated, after talking to a lot of people the general consenses from around the traps was the bare minimum you want is for the steerer tube to end in the middle of the top bolt of the stem if that makes sense.

So depending on the layout of your stem as long as the top of the steerer tube lines up with the center of the highest bolt on the stem youy should be all good!

Slowman

Likes Dirt
What you want is the steerer tube to finish about 2mm under the top edge of the stem. That is just enough for the top cap to sit on top of the stem without touching the steerer so that it will actually compress the head set. If it touches the steerer then it obviously won't compress the head set no matter how much you tighten it.

Cutting the steerer tube is best left to the last thing when installing a fork in a frame to avoid this precise situation. The question is who decided on the length to cut it? Did you tell them a measurement to cut it to? If it was their decision then I'd ask for new forks and then I'd never ever go there again.

And the reason you are taking it back is because it is the wrong length not because it sits 12mm short of the stem stack height. If you need spacers then it is the wrong length plain and simple.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
^^ Agreed

Did you specify a length for the bike shop to cut? Or did you tell them what you wanted done and had them take over for you?

12mm is a fair gap though.

It sounds like a botch job on the shop's behalf but just to make sure...

Oracle

Likes Dirt

OK, just removed the top cap without touching the stem bolts. The top of the steerer tube is ~5mm short from the middle of the top stem bolt! I can probably reduce this a little as the crown race is not entirely flush with the crown of the forks.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Did you specify a length for the bike shop to cut? Or did you tell them what you wanted done and had them take over for you?...
I said I wanted an extra 10mm of steerer above the stem and headset etc. The sales guy recommended we add an extra 10mm on top of that (for 20mm total steerer above the stack) stating we can always cut more later, which I agreed was a good idea. They were busy and I asked twice if he measured correctly before cutting, but...

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I wouldn't be riding on that mate....a little more than risky. I also think you're within your rights to enquire as to a replacement fork, or at least replacement uppers if that is what you specified.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
OK, just removed the top cap without touching the stem bolts. The top of the steerer tube is ~5mm short from the middle of the top stem bolt! I can probably reduce this a little as the crown race is not entirely flush with the crown of the forks.
I wouldn't be worried about 5mm and sounds like you can get it down to say 3mm BUT what happened to the extra 20mm?

Again any competent mechanic would have said we'll cut it later when we have the frame and all the parts and can fit them all together and make sure.

I'd still be taking it back to them, too short is too short especially if you need the spacers to get your position right.

Be flexible though, they can still make this right (on the proviso that you get down to a 3mm gap) with a higher angled stem which they swap for the current one you have, assuming similar price and quality.

The difference between a typical 6degree rise and a 15degree rise on a 100mm stem will give you an extra 16mm elevation. 20degrees will give you an extra 24mm elevation. You can also play with handlebar rise too.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Here's a pic for those that don't quite understand the problem:

I'll head in to the LBS tomorrow to see what they recommend. :cool:

Landon

Likes Dirt
Minimum Steerer Length

I also agree with you asking for a replacement fork if the steerer was cut shorter than you asked.

Personally, I always cut a steerer so it's level with or just slightly above the top of the stem and run a 2 - 3mm spacer on top. That way, I always have maximum grip on the steerer.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Yeah. Thats a little too low to be comfortable. What a pain hey?!

TALAS+RLC...possibly an expensive blunder...One potential option to look at would be a low stack-height headset perhaps? Cheaper too...

Oracle

Likes Dirt
...Personally, I always cut a steerer so it's level with or just slightly above the top of the stem and run a 2 - 3mm spacer on top. That way, I always have maximum grip on the steerer.
That's what I've always run, and wanted again.

Yeah. Thats a little too low to be comfortable. What a pain hey?!

TALAS+RLC...possibly an expensive blunder...One potential option to look at would be a low stack-height headset perhaps? Cheaper too...
Yeah, I've been saving up for over a year to build my dream bike...

Tomas

my mum says im cool
This is a replacable part, called a CSU. Should be avail from Netti. Wont be cheap. Not your issue though.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Central Steerer Unit? I think?

In Marzocchi and Rockshox they are essentially replacable parts if the streerer is cut short.

Never had to order a fox one before, but Netti are all about Fox these days, so should be doable.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
If the LBS wont play ball, King headsets have quite a high stack height, so going something shorter might work out.

Dont ride it like that, though. Not safe.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies! Took the bike in to the LBS this morning and they are going to replace the CSU. :cool:

So, it'll be a little while longer before the new bike is ready to hit the trails; but at least I'll be confident she'll be safe to ride hard. :p

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Granted , the LBS stuffed up , but Kudos on their part for admitting a error occurred and will solve the problem.

It does suck that it happened in the first place though !!!:rolleyes:

Good to see that you got a suitable outcome......especially since it is your dream bike.