Midlife cricycle project bike! Sub 10kg with pedals and a dropper? *Bike built post #61*

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Sorry for the delay, I've been working or riding since I built it. It ended up coming in $2000 less than the Pro build, but with better hubs, spokes, handlebar, stem, saddle, tyres and my bike included pedals in the total price. Definitely worthwhile building it up "from scratch" from a value and customisation perspective.

It came in at 9.47kg with pedals ready to ride, but without a bottle cage as the carbon one is still in the post. Sub 9.5kg with a dropper and pedals is still pretty tidy. Enjoy some pics!

The colour scheme worked out really well. Thanks to those who convinced me to get the orange fork!

Still hate the brand, but they have made a very nice frame so I'm just going to ride it and feel a bit dirty.

Very smooth Fox DPS shock.

Really nice machining on the linkage.

The XTR crankset is very sexy. I normally take all the protective stickers off and just ride it, but I think I'll leave these on to keep them looking fresh.

Nothing shifts smoother than XTR. I have little interest in electronic shifting, I have enough digital things in my life to charge already.

I really like the custom decals on the fork.

Saddle needs some more time to break my bum in I think...

I left the steerer long and ran out of spacers that match. I'll need to fix it as it is messing with my OCD.

Clean cockpit.

First recon ride on the bike path. Goes good.

Last edited:

k3n!f

Thanks everyone!

The build was pretty straight forward. Tricky bits were faffing through my fist dropper install, maximum gumby attempt at a gravity bleed (see fuckwit thread) and extensive cursing trying to get the Pirelli tyres on, although they beaded really easily because they are so tight.

Looking forward to getting the suspension sorted. With recommended settings I'm only getting 90mm travel out of the fork so I might have to take out some volume spacers. I'll post a ride review when I've had some more time on it.

Full OCD level spec list with weights below:

FrameEpic Evo
1773​
ShockFox DPS
258​
ForkFox F120 170mm + starnut
1442​
Front WheelDT240/Duke
574​
Rear WheelDT240/Duke
672​
WheelsetDT240/Duke
1246​
Front axleKabolt
44​
Rear axleStock
33​
ValvesStock
7​
Front TirePirelli Scorpion
671​
Rear TirePirelli Scorpion
648​
SealantStans
160​
Front RotorMT800
143​
Rear RotorMT800
118​
Front BrakeXTR
194​
Rear BrakeXTR
210​
Crankset + 30tXTR
522​
Bottom BracketXT
76​
ChainXTR
237​
CassetteXTR
362​
ChainringXTR 30t
0​
Rear DerailleurXTR
240​
Shifter + cableXTR
125​
HandlebarMCFK 720mm
128​
GripsEbay
34​
StemNewmen 50mm
70​
HeadsetFSA
65​
SeatpostFox TF SL
365​
Seatpost leverShimano
37​
SeatWTB SL8
150​
SeatclampBike Yoke
9​
Bottle CageeBay
0​
PedalsXTR
309​
Misc
50​
Total
9468​

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Thanks everyone!

The build was pretty straight forward. Tricky bits were faffing through my fist dropper install, maximum gumby attempt at a gravity bleed (see fuckwit thread) and extensive cursing trying to get the Pirelli tyres on, although they beaded really easily because they are so tight.

Looking forward to getting the suspension sorted. With recommended settings I'm only getting 90mm travel out of the fork so I might have to take out some volume spacers. I'll post a ride review when I've had some more time on it.

Full OCD level spec list with weights below:

FrameEpic Evo
1773​
ShockFox DPS
258​
ForkFox F120 170mm + starnut
1442​
Front WheelDT240/Duke
574​
Rear WheelDT240/Duke
672​
WheelsetDT240/Duke
1246​
Front axleKabolt
44​
Rear axleStock
33​
ValvesStock
7​
Front TirePirelli Scorpion
671​
Rear TirePirelli Scorpion
648​
SealantStans
160​
Front RotorMT800
143​
Rear RotorMT800
118​
Front BrakeXTR
194​
Rear BrakeXTR
210​
Crankset + 30tXTR
522​
Bottom BracketXT
76​
ChainXTR
237​
CassetteXTR
362​
ChainringXTR 30t
0​
Rear DerailleurXTR
240​
Shifter + cableXTR
125​
HandlebarMCFK 720mm
128​
GripsEbay
34​
StemNewmen 50mm
70​
HeadsetFSA
65​
SeatpostFox TF SL
365​
Seatpost leverShimano
37​
SeatWTB SL8
150​
SeatclampBike Yoke
9​
Bottle CageeBay
0​
PedalsXTR
309​
Misc
50​
Total
9468​
Wow that frame is seriously light! Not much heavier than just the fork

k3n!f

I haven't posted an update for a while on this bicycle as life has been pretty busy. So far, it has 2200km on the clock, although due to trail closures from floods a disappointing amount of that has been on paved bike paths. The silver decals are holding up well and it has otherwise nearly been flawless.

There are three small issues that I have encountered. Firstly I haven't been able to get full travel out of the fork and have acceptable sag. I thought it was because it came from the shop with three volume spaces, but I've gradually reduced those to zero and still only get 100-105mm out of the fork when the sag is at 25%. I'm not sure, but I suspect the step cast forks might have a smaller spring volume so they ramp up much quicker than my vintage 32 on the last bike.

Secondly I had some issues with creaking, and after much frustrations and many googling I discovered that 12 speed XTR cassettes have a tiny plastic spacer which is installed on the inside of the cassette. I didn't know this was a thing so it must have gone in the rubbish bin when I built the bike. I unleashed my inner MacGyver and made one from a Chinese take away food lid and the creaking has gone.

1671860421157.png

Finally, I've had troubles with my feet unclipping with the new XTR 9100 pedals seemingly regardless of how much I tighten up the clipping force. Granted, my shoes are a bit old and the tread is worn down but it didn't happen with the 9000s. I think the problem is the silver machined surface either side of the mechanism which was flat on previous pedals has been changed to curved which gives my shoes too much wiggle room and the cleat pops out, usually when I'm in the air bunny hopping something. The other option is the cleats are just too worn, so I might start by changing them and seeing if it helps.

1671860794672.png

You Yangs this morning!

IMG_8261.jpg

Last edited:

k3n!f

Boulder with those treads? Are you one of those who climbs it? :eek: (Kudos if so, it's not a terrible climbing trail...)
Yup, I haven't found that track before but had a good time trying to get up it. I think I walked three or four short segments but managed to get up the rest. Looks like it would be a fun trail on the way down too.

I'm one of those psychos that enjoys the challenge of a good techy climb, although my fitness it a bit down this summer.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Finally, I've had troubles with my feet unclipping with the new XTR 9100 pedals seemingly regardless of how much I tighten up the clipping force. Granted, my shoes are a bit old and the tread is worn down but it didn't happen with the 9000s. I think the problem is the silver machined surface either side of the mechanism which was flat on previous pedals has been changed to curved which gives my shoes too much wiggle room and the cleat pops out, usually when I'm in the air bunny hopping something. The other option is the cleats are just too worn, so I might start by changing them and seeing if it helps.

View attachment 395590
I gave up on Shimano pedals for this reason, can’t remember the XTR generation pedals but tried new cleats, maximum tightness and feet would still pop out at the wrong time. Mainly in the air or bunny hops. Been running HT M1s for a while now. No more random feet popping out. Lightweight too ;)

Bike looking great as well.

Rebo

Cannon Fodder
@k3n!f Fantastic looking build and bike - thanks for sharing! How did you remove the original frame decals without scratching or damaging the frame - did you just peel them off carefully?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
@k3n!f Fantastic looking build and bike - thanks for sharing! How did you remove the original frame decals without scratching or damaging the frame - did you just peel them off carefully?
Pretty sure they're just stuck over the top as the originals will be under the clear coat

k3n!f

Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't been around much this year.

They were just stuck on over the stock decals. They were vinyl and lasted for about 4000km before they started looking scabby, so I removed them. The only aftermarket stickers left on are the fork decals which still look great.

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 5.52.39 pm.png

I'll try and write a review/update of this bike soon. There are not many bikes that are this fast on the climbs, but still fun to shuttle at Maydena. Very impressed.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't been around much this year.

They were just stuck on over the stock decals. They were vinyl and lasted for about 4000km before they started looking scabby, so I removed them. The only aftermarket stickers left on are the fork decals which still look great.

View attachment 405796

I'll try and write a review/update of this bike soon. There are not many bikes that are this fast on the climbs, but still fun to shuttle at Maydena. Very impressed.
And a KOM nice work!
I'm looking for a light trail bike and I think the Evo Epic is too XC for me so looking at the Stumpjumper ST and I agree with you that Specialized sucks with the higher end pricing for the spec that you get but I can't find anything that comes close to ticking all the boxes that the Stumpy does.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I haven't posted an update for a while on this bicycle as life has been pretty busy. So far, it has 2200km on the clock, although due to trail closures from floods a disappointing amount of that has been on paved bike paths. The silver decals are holding up well and it has otherwise nearly been flawless.

There are three small issues that I have encountered. Firstly I haven't been able to get full travel out of the fork and have acceptable sag. I thought it was because it came from the shop with three volume spaces, but I've gradually reduced those to zero and still only get 100-105mm out of the fork when the sag is at 25%. I'm not sure, but I suspect the step cast forks might have a smaller spring volume so they ramp up much quicker than my vintage 32 on the last bike.

Secondly I had some issues with creaking, and after much frustrations and many googling I discovered that 12 speed XTR cassettes have a tiny plastic spacer which is installed on the inside of the cassette. I didn't know this was a thing so it must have gone in the rubbish bin when I built the bike. I unleashed my inner MacGyver and made one from a Chinese take away food lid and the creaking has gone.

View attachment 395589

View attachment 395590

You Yangs this morning!

View attachment 395586
Looks... Epic :) I like the angles, I reckon it would be a fun bike!

How are you finding the Pirelli's?