Midlife cricycle project bike! Sub 10kg with pedals and a dropper? *Bike built post #61*

Ackland

chats d'élevage
View attachment 387133

Sigh, relegated to the cupboard of bling until the fork arrives. The delivery date is now May, although I could get one of the bright orange ones in late March.

Not sure how I feel about the bright orange ones, they look pretty cool on some bikes but I don't want to spend a shit load of money and regret it on something that might be hard to sell later.
It will all be old tech by the time you build it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Incredible self control. The colour's not going to make it weigh less, go faster or handle better, so just wack a fork on and start enjoying the new ride. Life is too short to worry about colour schemes or any of that other nonsense when you could be out riding it.

moorey

call me Mia
  • Canyon Lux Trail – Great pricing for a complete bike but not available, they also have stupidly large sizing, I’m 178cm and to get the reach that I would want I would have to buy a small (!?!?)
Why does theoretical size matter if it fits? I’m 172cm, a small by most sizing, medium is generally better, but I often prefer a large.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Incredible self control. The colour's not going to make it weigh less, go faster or handle better, so just wack a fork on and start enjoying the new ride. Life is too short to worry about colour schemes or any of that other nonsense when you could be out riding it.
I actually have no self control, but I still have my SB100 which is working really well and the crack hasn't increased so I'm getting plenty of riding done. If I didn't have a rideable bike, I be buying the first available fork on Gumtree, probably from a Kmart bike, mounting it the wrong way around for authenticity and flying to Maydena.

Why does theoretical size matter if it fits? I’m 172cm, a small by most sizing, medium is generally better, but I often prefer a large.
Yeah I didn't really explain this is the first post, but there is an explanation in post #11. Basically to get the reach I need on the Lux Trail I would have to buy a small, which has a seat tube too short for my long legs and the minimum insertion on the dropper post I'm going to run.

moorey

call me Mia
IYeah I didn't really explain this is the first post, but there is an explanation in post #11. Basically to get the reach I need on the Lux Trail I would have to buy a small, which has a seat tube too short for my long legs and the minimum insertion on the dropper post I'm going to run.
Ah. Sorry. I had similar/opposite problems with frame I’ve just ordered. Med was too short in reach but good ST. Large was nice reach, but too long in ST.

k3n!f

Alright, I weakened and I actually love the colour in real life. The weight is amazing with an uncut steerer tube, so sub 9.5kg might be on now.

I bought some metallic silver and black decals so I might replace the stock ones for a super clean look.

Now I just need some time to build it!

k3n!f

Alright, here is a half dressed photo from my only fans site.

I had a few hours this afternoon and sorted the internal routing, cut the fork steerer and changed the fork decals. My progress was limited as my 3yo daughter was "helping", which was actually great fun.

Super happy with how the metallic fork decals worked out, they look even better in person.

k3n!f

After Steve-OOO levels of faffing, I think I finally have the heat shrink working on the cables. There is a couple of wrinkles in it, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get it better than this.

Dropper is installed and working, brakes are assembled and just need a bleed. Definitely won't be able to do this whilst the 3 year old is in the house :rolleyes:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
View attachment 387891

After Steve-OOO levels of faffing, I think I finally have the heat shrink working on the cables. There is a couple of wrinkles in it, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get it better than this.

Dropper is installed and working, brakes are assembled and just need a bleed. Definitely won't be able to do this whilst the 3 year old is in the house :rolleyes:
I went with the cable coil instead of the shrink-wrap on the MTB due to having to change outers on a semi-regular basis.
I have heat-shrink on the gravel bike as it is running Di2.

k3n!f

Based purely on the seat post height - have you thought of playing basketball?
Hahaha! The seatpost was just sitting in the frame so I could figure out the length of the dropper cable. My BB to seat height is a modest 77cm.