mid travel 29er suggestions

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Looking to purchase a new (or newish) mid travel 29er this year. Probably in a few months' time.

Currently thinking of options along the lines of:
  • Specialized Stumpy EVO
  • Ripmo AF
  • Banshee titan
  • Commencal meta (am or tr?)
  • YT Jeffsy
  • Canyon Spectral

Other thoughts:
  • Privateer frames?
  • Nukeproof reactor or mega?
  • Revel, Transition, Pivot etc. (But not sure on $$)

Obvs stock is an issue in post-covid world. But how does one go about arranging to test drive these things (assuming a local distributor)? Is it even still possible these days to get test rides?

What are people's thoughts on warranty and support of big brands vs the smaller ones listed above?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i havn’t seen too many if ata kk demo days for smaller brands, giant/trek/ some spec, but no others, don’t think you;d get one with canyon/yt/banshee

add transition spur to your list, shorter travel i know , hearing stories i still think brands like giant are most reasonable when it comes to warranty, have heard positive stories re canyon also

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice selection. Did you mean Titan for mid travel, same with Ripmo? They're 160mm / 145mm.

It really depends on your requirements as they're all going to ride differently. Any specifics regarding trail type, fit and geo requirements etc?

dirtdad

Did you mean Titan for mid travel, same with Ripmo? They're 160mm / 145mm
It's like music genres, I just don't know where to draw the line. I ride around Sydney south (rocky, scrubby, tech). Like downs more than ups. But don't shuttle or chairlift much.

The line in my head is probably 150mm rear travel. Only based on currently having 140 and feeling that I'd like a little more, but not heaps more. But then I'm trying to compare such vastly different setups, like the 147mm DW link ripmo, 155mm KS link titan, 130mm HSP (eg. deviate highlander), or 140mm air shock 'aggressive trail' frames like the meta tr or np reactor... :shrug: In terms of the banshee, I might also look at the Prime, but without being able to ride them, I;m just not sure whether I'm giving up too much squish for some expected efficiency?

Currently I ride a Mondraker Foxy 27.5. I find it fits pretty well (I do need to get over the front a bit to corner well), and looking into geo numbers it's got 500mm reach. That's hitting the XL size on most of the frames listed above. So I'm wondering what the slacker front ends and steeper seat tubes (but smaller reach) of more recent frames will do to bike feel.

Threw a few frames in the geo geeks site: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/...zed-stumpjumper-evo-2021-s5,yt-jeffsy-2021-l/

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Highlander is 140 or 150, its the Druid that's 130 - but they have a longer travel model coming.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Sounds like your right in the sweet spot for a lot of brands at the moment. I really think that geo is more imports at than travel numbers these days. I’m on an alloy previous gen Transition Sentinel and it is quite the plow machine even though it’s only 140mm out back. It’s slack and long and there’s not a great deal of anti-squat.
I would add Norco Sight to your list and definitely include the nukeproof in the shortlist

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Similar boat, hoping to go frame only later in the year depending on a few things. My shortlist is: Revel Rascal, Banshee Prime, Cotic FlareMax / Jeht and maybe Transition if they bring out something between the Spur and Sentinel.

I doubt I'll be able to ride any of these besides the Revel prior to purchasing.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've got the pick of bikes to choose from. Most of the recent releases it seems we're in this space.
And whilst not suggesting you said this is your only / main criteria, the travel doesn't always tell the full story.

Having spent time in the geometry geek site there's just so much to choose from.

Personally, I'm currently feeling the HPP bikes, hoping what Forbidden have due will be less park / plow and more heavy weight trail bike.

Last edited:

dirtdad

I know Specialized is out of favour with some people. But I'm looking more and more at the stumpy evo. Even the Giant Trance X looks pretty good geo / spec wise. But would probably prefer a less widely ridden brand for purely irrational reasons.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Similar boat, hoping to go frame only later in the year depending on a few things. My shortlist is: Revel Rascal, Banshee Prime, Cotic FlareMax / Jeht and maybe Transition if they bring out something between the Spur and Sentinel.

I doubt I'll be able to ride any of these besides the Revel prior to purchasing.
Hmmm so there would be your Transition frame coming up in the near future? Colour me interested.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d go the 2021 COMMENCAL TR (or maybe AM if you want more of an enduro rig). I rode my partners AM on the weekend and friggin loved it.
There is a large AM frame for sale on Facebook at the moment.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an Orbea Occam. It does everything you describe and I love it....

In the end I was choosing between the Occam and the Revel Rascal, unfortunately the value of the Occam won out. I was fortunate enough for a great test ride on my local trails which sealed it...

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Titan gets the vote from me. Still the best bike I've ridden and the only thing that may change that in the next few months is that damn Highlander.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d go the 2021 COMMENCAL TR (or maybe AM if you want more of an enduro rig). I rode my partners AM on the weekend and friggin loved it.
There is a large AM frame for sale on Facebook at the moment.
Lucky he has time to wait, nothing available until April-July on the website.

I’m in the same boat also, but think I’ll go for the Cotic Jeht for something different.
Of the other choices, the Titan does give me a little movement

dirtdad

Cheers all, thanks for the food for thought!

Mates got the druid via summit
I did see Summit have a SLX Druid in Melb stock. Doubt they ship bikes interstate just for a test though.

large v3 prime in Wollongong
May take you up on that at some point. Even just to see one in the flesh. Thanks!

Lucky he has time to wait
Only kind-of. No real rush (have other less trail-capable bikes), but I did crack the frame of my current steed on Sunday!

Orbea Occam
Had not looked at these. But will take a look at the Occam and the Rallon. They both look pretty nice.

hoping what Forbidden have due will be less park / plow and more heavy weight trail bike
This could be interesting. There is certainly something about idler pulleys that tickles my fancy.