Michelin Wild Enduro issue [Warranty?]

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Seems that the tyres in question are nearly two years old. Maybe they were old stock in the factory, maybe they didn’t move quick from the local distributor, maybe the shop had them too long.
Wild Enduros were only 'invented' in 2018, so that would be the max age of them.

Youngsters compared to some tyres hanging in a shop for years.

Not as if Michelin is a rubber noob either.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Seems that the tyres in question are nearly two years old. Maybe they were old stock in the factory, maybe they didn’t move quick from the local distributor, maybe the shop had them too long.
I’ve never owned a Michelin bicycle tyre, so I have no anecdotes to add.
The trouble with forums though is that they generally only get the feedback of the zealots in favour & the butt-hurt against…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 years isn't ancient for an MTB tyre in my opinion, before covid came along runout model MTBs could have sat on the floor of the LBS for a year alone. I have 6 older bikes, 5 are mtbs, and I don't replace the tyres every 6 months, generally the front tyres always last a few years. This Canis is a 26" so I would guess it may have been old stock to start with.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in....235524/page-1854#lg=attachment384166&slide=0

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wild Enduros were only 'invented' in 2018, so that would be the max age of them.

Youngsters compared to some tyres hanging in a shop for years.

Not as if Michelin is a rubber noob either.
That was my argument, but I was told the Michelin rep wouldnt care because they could have been left in the sun... And I was also told not to bother because they were a Wiggle purchase.

Haakon

I have some Michelin commuter tyres I had on the Mongoose once in the shed that must be pushing 10 years old, maybe 8. Were in use for a couple of years and stored since. They're fine...

Haakon

Pulled these off yesterday and put the Continentals on. I was going to offer these FTGH is someone wanted to try them out for a bit, but I think they're better off in the bin...

Realistically they likely wouldn't have catastrophically failed any time soon, but I got sick of looking at them and I didnt quite trust them.

Also, the front tyre went rock hard on the knobs, it was getting a bit sketchy on the hardpack - the new Conti was sooooooo much gripper around sandy Stromlo.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Jeez looking at those side knobs you’ve barely ridden them! Or not to their full potential anyway. I’ve had 3 sets of WE’s so far and the only niggle I’ve got is the paint on the logo smears off quite easy with rock contact.
you guys definitely got some duds there but it’s certainly not indicative from my experience of the quality of their tires.

Haakon

Jeez looking at those side knobs you’ve barely ridden them! Or not to their full potential anyway.
Probably both :) They did bugger all kms over the year following "the crash" of course...

Haakon

Do you think maybe you aren't riding enough?
I know I'm not, not by a long shot! In my defence though, that DH2 hung on the wall of the shed for 3 years... And I split the riding over 3 bikes.

Anyhoo, glad newer WE are made better. I sure did like them when they were new.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Marathon Mondials look amazing!
I’ll consider them for the next set.
They are great touring tires. My wife and I used them on our hardtails on a 5 month, 11,000 kms ride the length of the Andes in 2019. Pretty shitty gravel roads and they were fine. Only used one set. Cons: only take tubes. You will get punctures.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I got an update from Pushys on my tyres.

Michelin claim it's from sitting there unused for a prolonged period... Which is in line with some others' comments - but still a bit shit considering no other tyres have ever done this no matter the time frame of being unused... On or off the bike.

Great tyres when new, but really disappointing from such a high profile company in the rubber world.

Even my riding shoe soles (NW Clan) and car tyres (Pilot Sport 4) are Michelin and they're both fantastic!

Haakon

I got an update from Pushys on my tyres.

Michelin claim it's from sitting there unused for a prolonged period... Which is in line with some others' comments - but still a bit shit considering no other tyres have ever done this no matter the time frame of being unused... On or off the bike.

Great tyres when new, but really disappointing from such a high profile company in the rubber world.

Even my riding shoe soles (NW Clan) and car tyres (Pilot Sport 4) are Michelin and they're both fantastic!
Thats utter bullshit... Its from a poorly selected rubber compound that degrades quickly. Used or unused is irrelevant - in fact unused should last longer because its not getting sunlight UV on it!

Its making me wonder whether I should throw $800 worth of Michelins on the Alfa and get the Pirellis.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats utter bullshit... Its from a poorly selected rubber compound that degrades quickly. Used or unused is irrelevant - in fact unused should last longer because its not getting sunlight UV on it!

Its making me wonder whether I should throw $800 worth of Michelins on the Alfa and get the Pirellis.
Straight rubber deteriorates really fast, and they introduce additives to slow the process down.

Haakon

Straight rubber deteriorates really fast, and they introduce additives to slow the process down.
Yep, by compound i mean the overall brew of synthetic and natural materials.

I think it was likely just a factory problem - QC. New production line maybe, someone messed up somewhere. Which is all fine, it happens - but this automatic "blame the consumer" approach annoys me.

Haakon

In their defences…consumers are largely flogs, and multi year old tyres really can’t be considered up for warranty in a sane world.
No argument there. Except these were cracking up when 12 months old...