Mezzer or zeb

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yes, thats the one I'm looking at. Have you tried a mattoc? If so is the mezzer just like a bigger mattoc or something better again?
Pretty sure they are worlds apart. Mezzer Pro has lots of very trick things going on with the IRT etc, and is apparently notably better than the Mezzer Expert. I never looked into a Mattoc but I'm sure someone one the web has done a feature comparison between the range.

And as @Oddjob says, Mezzer is fantastic for smashing into things. Amazing on mid and big hits, top end supple is harder to tune for. Apparently the more travel you run the easier it is to get it right.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I've got both.

Chassis feel is similar between the two forks, but the damping is definitely firmer in the Mezzer. The air spring on the Mezzer is also more aimed at racers smashing through stuff as opposed to the Onyx which is more buttery and optimised for small bump compliance.

So if you're looking for a comfy couch of a fork, the Onyx is for you.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Thanks Oddjob, that is just the sort of feedback I am after. Leaning toward the onyx based on that. While I would like to think that I am a racer capable of smashing through stuff, I'm more a weekend hack smashing into stuff. Also, the Onyx might be a better match to the Topaz I have on the back.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Thanks Oddjob, that is just the sort of feedback I am after. Leaning toward the onyx based on that. While I would like to think that I am a racer capable of smashing through stuff, I'm more a weekend hack smashing into stuff. Also, the Onyx might be a better match to the Topaz I have on the back.
Not sure if it bothers you or not but new Onyx due soon. Biggest change is 38mm stanchions. Presume some tweaks to internals as well.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Ok, so spent some garage time on the mezzer kit from Shockcraft. Didn’t take many photos with oily hands all the time. But here’s the pistons and stock rebound piston shim stack. Looks like I already had the ‘softer’ rebound tune. Only two shims, with a crossover in between. The higher flowing piston (above) will hopefully help, because the new tune has three shims against the piston (no crossover).

Will have to wait until Sunday to give it a run, but garage push test feels like there’s some definite changes in damping characteristics.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Interesting to know if the new piston is flat, with 3 shims on the face would certainly change the pressure point of when the flow changes from the lsr passage to go through the shims, possibly why you can run more lsr with this kit, which in turn why it's more linear?.

The stock piston is dished so the crossover shim is preloading the face shim, not sure if you could mimic the above changing the stock shims around but i guess the new higher flow piston may have a contribution in this.
anyway hats off to dougal, hate to think of how much time he put into this.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Yes, thats the one I'm looking at. Have you tried a mattoc? If so is the mezzer just like a bigger mattoc or something better again?
I had a mattoc pro3, then diamond d1, now on a mezzer.
The mezzer is stiffer than the mattoc so not as compliant at the hands, i found the mattoc to "open up" earlier at lower trail speeds, the mezzer works very well at higher speeds.
if you find the mattoc firm, the mezzer will generally feel firmer (depending on setup).
if you like the marz feel, i not too sure you could replicate it with the mezzer.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Cool. Thanks. Could drill the rebound ports bigger on stock probably but making it flat would be harder. Just buy the kit and go with it. I have the original tune and I gave up making it good at cruising pace. I do like it when ‘trying’ to go fast. Has good support and gives a confidence in the front end. No doubt it could be better, to give compliance and support.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently the clash has an old marzocchi 350 NCR which is fantastic, but is a bit short on travel and the coating on the stantions is wearing off so its reaching the end of its life....
Let me know if you want to sell the 350 when you do retire it. The NCR damper and air spring are backwards compatible with the 55 series, and i would love to make another 55NCR!
I have this on my hardtail (55ATA NCR) and it was an amazing upgrade.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Could drill the rebound ports bigger on stock probably but making it flat would be harder.
I’d say lapping the face on some sandpaper to remove the dish would be easier than drilling (milling?) out the rebound ports.

All in all, the shim job was pretty easy. Instructions could have been clearer as to which side up he wanted the new piston. I just made it look like the old one.

And I found there were two rebound shim thicknesses at the same diameter at 0.12 and 0.15 thick. These were hard to tell apart. My digital calipers only go down to 0.1mm precision. So I guessed based on their flexiness.

Also confusing that the “stickier” rebound stack has fewer shims than the “poppier” stack. Will probably ask Dougal about this before I try one or the other.

Last edited:

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I had a mattoc pro3, then diamond d1, now on a mezzer.
The mezzer is stiffer than the mattoc so not as compliant at the hands, i found the mattoc to "open up" earlier at lower trail speeds, the mezzer works very well at higher speeds.
if you find the mattoc firm, the mezzer will generally feel firmer (depending on setup).
if you like the marz feel, i not too sure you could replicate it with the mezzer.
Thanks for the comparison. I do like the mattoc, but yes, if the mezzer is firmer damped then I dont think its what I am after. Onyx has been ordered.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Let me know if you want to sell the 350 when you do retire it. The NCR damper and air spring are backwards compatible with the 55 series, and i would love to make another 55NCR!
I have this on my hardtail (55ATA NCR) and it was an amazing upgrade.
I will be in touch once I've got the onyx.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks for the comparison. I do like the mattoc, but yes, if the mezzer is firmer damped then I dont think its what I am after. Onyx has been ordered.
NB the Onyx OTT system impacts the small bump compliance and end of stroke support. The more you wind on the OTT the more air you need to maintain 25% static sag. So try the DVO recommended settings first and the tweak /bracket from there.

NB I wind OTT full on because I'm a fat shit and like my bikes to be like couches. Then use lots of LSC to keep from pogo'ing. It's weird but somehow works.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
More feedback on the Shockcraft fettled Mezzer after racing yesterday. Controlled, supportive, compliant and stout sums it up.

I did 11 runs and was pretty cooked by the end of the day but had zero hand pain (elbow and shoulder joint pain was there but that's from being old and having the dust upgrade to my cartilage after I hit 45ish) and there wasn't an instance that the fork got my attention which is the single biggest compliment I can give it.

The fork recovers with much better control on the brakes where previously the rebound could never quite find its happy place...either pinging off things or packing, never in that goldilocks zone. The fork stayed predictable all day and I never even touched a dial...I thought I was a serial twiddler but it turns out I just like well set up suspension and when I find it I forget about it (this is what happened with the Intend fork and this has now confirmed it).

Best RWU up fork that I've ridden. Very impressed and really is a credit to Dougal's tuning methodology. IMO the tuning package (this or Nigel's at NSR) is a necessity if you have a Mezzer and want the best performance you can get out of it.

Specialized Cannibal tyres turned out to be quite good too in the rocky, dusty terrain too FYI. Stout sidewalls though.