Metallic Vs Organic Pads

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys,

I'm about to get a set of 4pot XT brakes and have a choice between metallic and organic pads. The organic ones are about $30 cheaper.

Main priority is that they are powerful and grabby. Not as fussed about noise or wear.

What should I go with?

Cheers!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Uberbike racematrix. Thread closed.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've recently moved from organic to metal for the first time. (Shimano)
So far the metal seem a little bit more bitey at first application with a slight overall power advantage.
Haven't come across any noise issues as yet. Would still have no drama going back to organic.
They did seem to perform very well on a recent huge descent down off Lake Mountain.

moorey

call me Mia
This a vegan thing?

Sintered erryday.
:p
I personally find resin far more consistent and predictable, with no real power loss...and they’re quieter.
I’m 75kg and not riding as hard as most. Felix’s enduro race bike has always been resin, though the DH bike has metal.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:p
I personally find resin far more consistent and predictable, with no real power loss...and they’re quieter.
I’m 75kg and not riding as hard as most. Felix’s enduro race bike has always been resin, though the DH bike has metal.
I agree with this. I went back to organic on my Hopes and much prefer them overall to the metallics.
The only real drawback for me is the increased pad wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I agree with this. I went back to organic on my Hopes and much prefer them overall to the metallics.
The only real drawback for me is the increased pad wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
At $6 a set of genuine Shimano pads on sale, what me worry?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Resin pads have more initial bite, but less overall power than metal, and are more prone to glazing, which makes them noisy & very poorly-performing. Metal pads suck when really cold, but get good once they've warmed up a bit.