Metallic Vs Organic Pads

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Can you go from resin to metal pads on the same rotors? Are metal pads noticeably louder/ more squealy than resin pads? What about semi sintered pads? A good trade off between R and S pads?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
you can run the same rotors for both but your rotors do pick up pad material onto their surface as part of the bedding in process. Ive gotten into the habit of cleaning this off rotors even when just putting new pads of the same material in. Makes for a less noisy fresh braking surface.

DMan

you can run the same rotors for both but your rotors do pick up pad material onto their surface as part of the bedding in process. Ive gotten into the habit of cleaning this off rotors even when just putting new pads of the same material in. Makes for a less noisy fresh braking surface.
So just a light sanding?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Can someone explain the difference between semi-metallic and sintered please? I'm looking to replace pads and have those two plus resin as options. Nukeproof on sale @CRC have a range for all kinds of brakes

DMan

Can someone explain the difference between semi-metallic and sintered please? I'm looking to replace pads in Avid BB5's and have those two plus resin as options. Nukeproof on sale @CRC have a range for all kinds of brakes
I just asked that too. I've read it's a compromise between resin and sintered. It's an old article but pretty much explains it.
https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/buyers-guide-to-disc-brake-pads/
The level of metal in them can vary between producers it seems. I'm going to try them in my MT5s though. Resin on this bike isn't quite coping with my needs

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I just asked that too. I've read it's a compromise between resin and sintered. It's an old article but pretty much explains it.
https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/buyers-guide-to-disc-brake-pads/
The level of metal in them can vary between producers it seems. I'm going to try them in my MT5s though. Resin on this bike isn't quite coping with my needs
Note there are some wild semi-metallic pads like the Trickstuff Power and Power+ which give more braking power but shorter life then metal pads. I'm pretty sure the Uberbike racematrix and Discobrake copperfree fall into the same category too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
FWIW I bought a set of brakes that were "borderline useless". Owner had given up and bought new brakes. Torched the pads with the butane torch thing and a heap of smoke rubbish came off them. Bled the brakes. Never a problem.........calipers are now on my new bike.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
Really they should all be called "soft/.../hard" pads, cos they all have metal particles in them, and all but true sintered pads have resin to hold the particles together. It's just the ratio and particular mix of swarf that changes within/between each manufacturers range. Ashima used to try to avoid the "resin/metal" nomenclature and educate the customer (they had 3 or 4 pad compound options per caliper) but eventually gave up.

Blame Shimano or ebc if you like, it's a bit like carbon vs silica rubber in tyres (remember that?)