Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so sold the dash haha bloke was chasing me for it

i'm making a bike stand, somethiing that seems to be a hot topic of late, i'll post up some pics when its done because its at work

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drift trike, so the drift trike thread i started ages ago has disappeared but i did promise to post up mine, in my opinion how a proper one should be built so here it is

100hours work all up

Bright axles
316 stainless wheel spacers
fsa inmact headset
2 1/4'' exhaust tubing
solid bmx forks cut, machined and then the green machine bearing mounts were welded on
rear axles mount in the frame with a 12mm hole bored right through a piece of bar that was machined and press fitted inside the rear tube
there are alse grub screws holding in the rear axles so if you bend them you can replace them, ths has proved to be a worth while investment
ehxaust tubing was machined to have a slot for the rear bar to fit snug, top end was also machined to fit the head tube

this was my first metal project in high school when learning to weld in year 8 so be kind, they're not the nicest welds but they're solid and do the job!

IMG_9098.jpgIMG_9097.jpgIMG_9096.jpgIMG_9092.jpgIMG_9091.jpg

Last edited:

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Drift trike, so the drift trike thread i started ages ago has disappeared but i did promise to post up mine, in my opinion how a proper one should be built so here it is...
I'm thinking about building one myself. Is it possible to make it so the pedals only engage one way, like a standard rear hub? Just so if i'm flying down a hill, my legs arent spinning at a hundred miles an hour.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I too have thought about building one but just have too many things on the go right now...
What wall RHS is that on the back? Does it flex much? A bit would be nice....

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking about building one myself. Is it possible to make it so the pedals only engage one way, like a standard rear hub? Just so if i'm flying down a hill, my legs arent spinning at a hundred miles an hour.
yep thats what this one is a freewheeling hub with a bb spindle up the guts and cranks and pedals on the ends
the huffy green machine wheel is what i used had some forks the correct width so cut the ends off those, and the "forks?" off the green machine some how magically pressed into the end nicely and i welded up the bottom and there you go, had a bmx frame i cut up too, brough and fas impact headset and she's a beauty

I too have thought about building one but just have too many things on the go right now...
What wall RHS is that on the back? Does it flex much? A bit would be nice....
funnily enough i have nooooo idea built it so long ago i can't tell you and its not rhs either its a gal tube i found at home

its 40X40X2.5 at a good guess and 2 1/4 x2.5 mm ehaust tubing bent up and the i milled the slotd for the rear end and head tube, and trust me if you can mill the you'l get a straight rear end (if you dont the frame will have a permanent lean ans it'll kill you) and straight head tube, also helps when welding not to have any gap, the is NO FLEX this thing is so solid it surprises me, you'll bend axels before flexing it, we had like 8 blokes piled on that once for a laugh going down a little hill and it was fine all round

botch

Likes Bikes
I finally have something to contribute to this thread with :)

It's my first decent project, a rack to go on the back of my car. I was getting sick of loading the bike into the car (it's a nissan pulsar hatch), as the front wheel would always have to come off, it'd bounce around a bit, etc., so this rack is made to transport the bike in one piece, and takes about 15 seconds to load up. I have to warn you that it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I have only been welding for 6 months, and with an arc welder at that!!

I do want to get a mig down the track, and make another one of these, with hopefully less holes!! The biggest issue i had was blowing holes through the metal, which i think is where a mig would come in a bit better. I have a u-bolt which goes through the two holes in the upright and that holds the top tube of the bike in place, and the wheels sit about 100mm down into the frame.

Anyways, a pic to show...

Attachments

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
champion bike rack man looks very tidy

hats off to fo stick welding it, i could do it but i'd really rather not personally

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
will be making pipe organ tuning tools in the near future and will hopefully post up pics for those interested

stoo

Likes Dirt
New toys!

200A ac/dc tig, now I can smash Alu. shit together!

John Heine 4' pan brake, missing the smallest couple of fingers but it'll dp the job.

John Heine 3' foot Guillo, 18g....

John Heine baby inclinable smasher, I set it up for 1/2" eyelet dies, good jigger until I crunch my fingers in it...

Aussie made solid 4" bar bender on stand..

All pretty cheap, I've been after a guillo and folder for years, ace treasure.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FARK where'd you flog those from!? a gillo and bender are next on the list for me after the blaster and press

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike stand is finished, decided to let the kids at school try their hand welding, with mixed results, but hey! they've gotta learn somewhere, pics will be up asap!

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BIKE STAND IS HOME FINALLY!

after a few months of neglected bikes and moments of being half way home and and going shit i forgot it again! i got it home!

it was welded at a school by the kids to try and get them into metal working a bit more, sadly none were really into it, a get shame!

but here it is in all its blunt raw beauty and the best rip off or park tool blue i could find for $3 a can at bunnings!

made a little tool shelf/tray thing this arvo for it too!

IMG_9486.jpgIMG_9488.jpg

here are the drawers me and the old man built for the hilux, thought the brought ones were too wastefull in space and expensive and weak.
ours are 99% dust proof but the simpson desert will change that. rated to about 300kg a drawer on the front edge at full extension, one also has a lid so you can use it as a bed, there is also 5 jerry can holders behind them, a big box for oils, grease, fluids etc. a water tap and hose built in.

the locks are about as over complicated as possible the brought ones weren't good enough for the old man so we man our own, the push closed much like a door and have a 1/8th turn od the handle to open them, mostly stainless and brass fittings, stainless handles, brass latches and stainless pull rods in the mechanisam.

IMG_9272.jpgIMG_9275.jpgIMG_9267.jpgIMG_9278.jpgIMG_9355.jpgIMG_9279.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We're currently working on an Alfine mount and custom sprocket for our latest DH bike. It's not pretty, but as a prototype it seems to be coming together OK so far.

Excuse the crappy phone pics.

DSC01822.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ouch that face cutting look rough haha, nice work man, i'm admiring your rotary table, been after one for home for a while but everytime we need one its a thing we need to make quickly and we work around it and its all ways that after though of hmm we should get one but we forget untill we're in a rush the next time, love the work!

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ouch that face cutting look rough haha, nice work man, i'm admiring your rotary table, been after one for home for a while but everytime we need one its a thing we need to make quickly and we work around it and its all ways that after though of hmm we should get one but we forget untill we're in a rush the next time, love the work!
Yeah, the cutter we used has had a rough life. We're looking to replace the tips but haven't gotten around to it yet. The end result is good enough for now. :)

And the indexing table has been a godsend! Couldn't live without it now!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something a little different for this thread, but hopefully some find it interesting...

I've been bitten by the knifemaking bug and thought I'd share a couple I've recently finished. All hardened and being put to good use.

A few more on the go at the moment and hopefully many more to follow so if there's some interest I'll chuck some more photos up in here from time to time

kitchen knife.jpgjoel skinner.jpg