Metal, Hardcore, Punk and everything inbetween

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the prompt & detailed reply droenn.

An overview of the artists below. If a particular band grabs ya, let me know & I can give you specifics. Maybe best to do this via a PM....

Last edited:

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing you spent a lot of money at Metal Mayhem and possibly Peril Underground many years ago?
Yeap, lot of coin & time spent in that dingy vault, listening to music & the CD skipping when a train would pass overhead......good times.

Can't say I've heard of Peril Underground. There was a store Radical Records in Dandenong I'd occasionally frequent, but Metal Mayhem was by far & away where most of my collection was acquired, with a little from its predecessor, Metal for Melbourne.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yeap, lot of coin & time spent in that dingy vault, listening to music & the CD skipping when a train would pass overhead......good times.

Can't say I've heard of Peril Underground. There was a store Radical Records in Dandenong I'd occasionally frequent, but Metal Mayhem was by far & away where most of my collection was acquired, with a little from its predecessor, Metal for Melbourne.
Peril was a basement shop just off Elizabeth St. They didn't sell a whole lot of CDs, but what they did have was pretty obscure. They were more of a tattoo parlour and goth clothing shop. Neither of which I was into at the time.
I spent a lot of money at Metal Mayhem too. Though my CDs are mostly stashed away now. Just a few favourites get played these days.

Jpez

Down on the left!
What was that tiny little metal store in one of those little through ways off Swanston st run by Greta and her German husband? I think.
wasn’t much for Metal but occasionally found myself there with my punk mates. Looooong time ago now. I also remember getting a free feed at the Hari Krishana restaurant on Elizabeth with my punk and metal mates occasionally. Everyone no matter how weird or homeless looking was welcome in there.

Jpez

Down on the left!
What was that tiny little metal store in one of those little through ways off Swanston st run by Greta and her German husband? I think.
wasn’t much for Metal but occasionally found myself there with my punk mates. Looooong time ago now. I also remember getting a free feed at the Hari Krishana restaurant on Elizabeth with my punk and metal mates occasionally. Everyone no matter how weird or homeless looking was welcome in there.
Pipe imported??

Labcanary

Was Missing Link somewhere you frequented?

When I was but a kid outta school I took a gap year in England and worked in Eastbourne. There was a tiny little record shop there, hidden away down a side street. It was owned by a very cranky old punk who had a formidable mohawk, and a very loose idea of "opening times". One day I walked in there to find he had cut off his mohawk because he cracked the shits after he saw some kids with a similar hairdo. Did I mention he was cranky?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Was Missing Link somewhere you frequented?

When I was but a kid outta school I took a gap year in England and worked in Eastbourne. There was a tiny little record shop there, hidden away down a side street. It was owned by a very cranky old punk who had a formidable mohawk, and a very loose idea of "opening times". One day I walked in there to find he had cut off his mohawk because he cracked the shits after he saw some kids with a similar hairdo. Did I mention he was cranky?
Yep. Missing link and Au Go Go and Grenville records were my go to places. Sure there was another but can’t remember.
found this interesting write up about record shops back in the dray
http://manwithoutshame.blogspot.com/2012/12/1980s90s-melbourne-record-shop-rundown_9.html

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Was it a successful business model? Throw in old & I might just think about starting up a shop * shakes both fists in the air, while shouting at clouds *

Labcanary

Was it a successful business model? Throw in old & I might just think about starting up a shop * shakes both fists in the air, while shouting at clouds *
If your expected customer base are cranky and introverted, it's a winning model.
My favourite second hand bookshop as a teen was run by a very cranky guy who hated customers. It was a lot like Black Books actually.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Stumbled onto these guys a little while ago, don't mind 'em. Listening to their 3 albums I reckon Tasty Nasty would have been their ticket to much bigger things had 1 or 2 of their band members not decided to grow up. :(

Tracks 3, 4, 5, & 8 are my favs on this album.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. Missing link and Au Go Go and Grenville records were my go to places. Sure there was another but can’t remember.
That basement place under the old Bunnings on Bourke St? Not that I can remember what it was called or anything

Jpez

Down on the left!
That basement place under the old Bunnings on Bourke St? Not that I can remember what it was called or anything
You mean McEwan’s? Fark showing my age there. Don’t remember any basement record shop under there. Au Go Go in little Bourke had a basement.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah McEwens maybe. Wasn’t AU go go upstairs off Lt Bourke? I’m even more confused now

Yes. There used to be loads of great record shops in the city but they all went belly up because useless old gits like me couldn’t find them

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah McEwens maybe. Wasn’t AU go go upstairs off Lt Bourke? I’m even more confused now

Yes. There used to be loads of great record shops in the city but they all went belly up because useless old gits like me couldn’t find them
Au Go Go had three floors. Basement second hand I think. Or was that upstairs. Can’t remember. saw some great little shopfront gigs there.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m completely lost now.

I did just get to the link you posted before though, great read, cheers

slowmick

38-39"
We used to do a loop for a while of the record shops and poster/t-shirt shops.
Was Metal for Melbourne under the Gas and Fuel building before fed square?
Did Au Go Go wind up in the top end of Bourke street at the start of the 90s?
One in little lonsdale street up near all the outdoor stores? might have been more punk by then?
I remember the one under the old McEwens but wasn't that a relocation of another shop?