Met parachute

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Anyone own one and more importantly do you find it too hot? I'm tossing up between a met parachute and Bell super 3r. Unfortunately I have a huge melon and am not sure the Bell comes big enough. I'm trying on a Met parachute tomorrow but would like to hear from someone who has ridden in one UP and down hills in hot weather if possible. I'd like a bit more protection for our "enduro" terrain riding days...

slowmick

38-39"
i have a big melon - the MET parachute didn't come big enough for me (no XL). When i pulled it down over my head it folded my ears over which was pretty uncomfortable and hard to talk to the sales assistant. struggled to get it off.

I have a standard BELL 2R and a Super 2R both fit fine with the cheek pads removed (fat face to match fat head)

Good luck when you try it on - alas heads aren't spheres so the cm size is not the whole story.

DMan

i have a big melon - the MET parachute didn't come big enough for me (no XL). When i pulled it down over my head it folded my ears over which was pretty uncomfortable and hard to talk to the sales assistant. struggled to get it off.

I have a standard BELL 2R and a Super 2R both fit fine with the cheek pads removed (fat face to match fat head)

Good luck when you try it on - alas heads aren't spheres so the cm size is not the whole story.
Sure isn't. Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a go since I'll be at the shop but I might hunt down a 3R to try then as well seeing you can get your melon into a 2R

stoo

Likes Dirt
I have a Parachute, and a fat head. It's a good jigger with the thinner cheek pads ( comes with two sets ).
Airflow is great, no problem on the climbs in summer.

rstim

Likes Dirt
If your looking at these helmets why not try a Fox proframe as well. I love mine comfortable and breathes well.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

DMan

I'm currently looking at the same set of helmets - what did you go with? How is it so far?
I never got there mate. I ran out of time sadly. I wear an XL TLD A1 so I don't think the Parachute would have fitted anyway. The Bell 3R is supposed to be a bigger fit than the 2R though so I will still keen to try them both at some stage.

scblack

Leucocholic
Anyone own one and more importantly do you find it too hot? I'm tossing up between a met parachute and Bell super 3r. Unfortunately I have a huge melon and am not sure the Bell comes big enough. I'm trying on a Met parachute tomorrow but would like to hear from someone who has ridden in one UP and down hills in hot weather if possible. I'd like a bit more protection for our "enduro" terrain riding days...
Several months ago, I tried the same helmets, trying to get a light DH helmet. On my head, they felt horrible. I found the anchoring to the head to be less than confidence inspiring, they were not snug and usually the cheek guards dug in.

I ended up getting a TLD D3 carbon, and it fits perfectly.

Admittedly my riding is more DH oriented and I am happy to forego the uphill riding. If I am going to ride hills I chuck the xc helmet on. My opinion was more to have the right helmet for the job, rather than compromise either the lightness or the protection depending on current riding. Each to his own.

DMan

Several months ago, I tried the same helmets, trying to get a light DH helmet. On my head, they felt horrible. I found the anchoring to the head to be less than confidence inspiring, they were not snug and usually the cheek guards dug in.

Admittedly my riding is more DH oriented and I am happy to forego the uphill riding. If I am going to ride hills I chuck the xc helmet on. My opinion was more to have the right helmet for the job, rather than compromise either the lightness or the protection depending on current riding. Each to his own.
Yeah, but I ride as much up as down and when it's fucking hot I need my head to breathe. I'm looking for a compromise but the damn thing still needs to be comfortable that's for sure!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Yeah, fair points. That's why I was most interested in the MET because I would not be tempted to remove the chin bar. I would be committed to 'full protection' mode at all times....but still well ventilated.
Interesting you say the convertible helmets didn't fit snug.....did you try the Giro Switchblade? I tried it on & it felt very snug/tight/cosy.

Yeah, but I ride as much up as down and when it's fucking hot I need my head to breathe. I'm looking for a compromise but the damn thing still needs to be comfortable that's for sure!
Yeah me too....I don't have the budget for a helmet quiver. I'm looking for do-it-all versatility, full face protection....and some ventilation.

DMan

Is the MET durable?
I don't mean in a crash, I mean day-to-day bumps, scratches, strap toughness, plastics etc?
Not like a full DH helmet by my view is it'll be better than smashing my face potentially into the ground than my A1. It's still a compromise

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I've got a parachute.

I don't wear it a lot, mainly because Its overkill for 90% of my riding.

Its fantastic. I find it no hotter than other helmets and I'm a sweaty guy pedaling 100kgs plus the bike up a hill.

I run the fat cheek pads still and find the helmet fits me great.

-Shaun

Delazy

Got a new bike!
If your looking at these helmets why not try a Fox proframe as well. I love mine comfortable and breathes well.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
ive been looking at the proframe for awhile now... already owning a flux and metah its the obvious full face choice for me... BUT pricing is rediculous... the new range sent the price skyrocketing... the Met is ALOT more tempting at $229 vs the proframes $350+

scblack

Leucocholic
Interesting you say the convertible helmets didn't fit snug.....did you try the Giro Switchblade? I tried it on & it felt very snug/tight/cosy.
Everyones head is different, I didn't think it was so great. Just the TLD convinced me - it fitted like a glove, and gave me heaps more confidence. And if my head sweats like a tap, so be it. Safety over a bit of sweat/heat.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the MET durable?
I don't mean in a crash, I mean day-to-day bumps, scratches, strap toughness, plastics etc?
Had one for a year or so but have only worn it half dozen times. IMO and uncrashed opinion the quality is good with straps, wear and tear etc, and as far as a FF goes it's light and breathes ok. It even feels breezy at first, but it's still a FF and the heat just doesn't get out like a regular lid once you slow down. I'd take it off for pedalling back up, then you think, what's the point, maybe 1/2 kilo lighter than a real FF when in use is about it.

Also, I fitted thicker pads as I got a mad hot spot around the back, but I've never found mets to fit as good as others.

diskoe75

Likes Bikes
I've got a parachute.

I don't wear it a lot, mainly because Its overkill for 90% of my riding.

Its fantastic. I find it no hotter than other helmets and I'm a sweaty guy pedaling 100kgs plus the bike up a hill.

I run the fat cheek pads still and find the helmet fits me great.

-Shaun
I'm a fan of the Parchute as well. Top helmet.
Feels pretty light on your head and has plenty of ventilation. It's also great having the choice of thick or thin cheek pads to clip in on your rides.
Been blessed with a big fat head myself too....and the fit of this in the large size is really good.

Also have the Bell Super, generation just before the chin-bar was added....and the fit of that one, is no where near as plush or comfortable as the Parachute.