MET parachute

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone, does anyone know where I can buy a MET parachute helmet, They arn't Australian standards so I will probably have to buy online..... Grr, anyone have one they wanna sell me, it would be perfect for the type of riding I do PERFECT.

Thanks

floody

Wheel size expert
Sorry, don't have a supplier.

However,this...

...is in the first couple of images google brings up for that piece.
Met's earlier bolt on full faces were all well known face stabbers too.

I would use an XC lid or a full face. About the only crossover that looks the goods is the Urge Archi-Enduro fullface.

tricycle

Banned
if you bothered to read the attached story ,you would of read the helmet was smashed to pieces so imagine if he was not wearing it. i have 1 and its a sturdy number and 1 day im sure it will save my handsome face!!!!

floody

Wheel size expert
I wouldn't wear one if you paid me.

Real full face, or open face. No middle ground IMO.

If I was going out for a couple of hours and riding in a style, or on terrain, that would necessitate a full face I would just sweat it out in my D2.

BBMF

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone, does anyone know where I can buy a MET parachute helmet, They arn't Australian standards so I will probably have to buy online..... Grr, anyone have one they wanna sell me, it would be perfect for the type of riding I do PERFECT.

Thanks
PM Sent Mate..

tricycle

Banned
I wouldn't wear one if you paid me.

Real full face, or open face. No middle ground IMO.

If I was going out for a couple of hours and riding in a style, or on terrain, that would necessitate a full face I would just sweat it out in my D2.
come and ride a qld summer with 1 on dude!!!!!

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Don't do it!

6 years ago when I got back into mountain biking I bought a Giro Switchblade, which is very similar. At the time I thought it was great, I had this chin protector bit, and felt invincible. Then I started doing more downhilling, and before long I bought a 'proper' downhill helmet.

Having had a few crashes in my DH helmet, with hindsight, I can tell you the difference between the helmets is night and day. I have put the removable chin guard in the back of the garage, AND IT IS NEVER COMING OUT AGAIN, EVER.

If you crash wearing a correctly fitting DH lid, there is a lot of cushioning between your cheeks and jaw stopping the helmet's faceguard from hitting your face (unless you crash extremely hard I guess, but I think even then it wouldn't do too much damage).

If you crashed wearing the swithblade with the chin guard, there is NOTHING stopping the hard plastic from cutting straight into your face except for approx 1mm of polystyrene - it would damage you as bad or worse than whatever you land on, especially if you landed on nice soft mud. Luckily, this never happened to me *touch wood*.

Happy to take some pictures of it if you still think it's a great idea.

floody

Wheel size expert
come and ride a qld summer with 1 on dude!!!!!
I'd rather sweat buckets than wear one of those poxy things. So...Gladly. I've been out on 2hr+ rides in 30+ degree heat in my D2 and its no issue. If its a really grindy climb or long walk I just take it off. OR wear my S-works 2D instead.

BTW I don't believe those helmets pass any standards anywhere with the chin piece bolted on. Says something...

thylaxene

Likes Bikes
I tend to agree. Wearing a fullface helmet for serious AM riding or even in general would be better then wearing a "claytons" fullface like the MET. I think helmet makers are realising that there is a market for light weight and cool riding fullface helmets for AM/Enduro. For example I'd probably get something like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58789

The fact that you are thinking of the MET cause of the type of riding you are doing strikes me that maybe you should get a light fullface. Because you are only going to get faster and more ballsy and then crossover that invisible line where those "claytons" helmet will just not handle it.

Cheers.

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
Haha... yeah I just ended up getting a fox flux helmet it has a bit more protection on the back of the head.

I live in a pretty good spot for mountain biking Ive created a route with FAST backroads etc which combine with one of the local dh tracks followed by a big but not too bad climb followed by some suburan style downhill all the way back to my garage haha.

Recently breaking my nose I was in a bit of a panic but I guess nothing like the MET will protect your face from IMPACTS just from gravel rash etc, but thanks anyway guys for all the offers, I think ppl can just buy from crc anyway.

Of course I have my 661 evo fullface but having never invested in a quality xc style lid I am very impressed the flux is so comfortable and stylish I definatley recomend it to all mountain and aggressive xc riders.

Cheers.

Last edited:

wotsis

Likes Dirt
I've got a Parachute as well as what's probably the best ventilated full face helmet available (Specialized Deviant). Despite being light and well ventilated, the Deviant is still a lot hotter than the Parachute. The Parachute is no hotter than a normal XC lid.

I'm always puzzled by people who confuse the intention of the Met and a full face. The Met is designed to protect against falling flat on your face during normal riding, when even a slow fall can result in a smashed nose or broken teeth. If this results in a superficial cut or two on the face, who cares? It still beats dental surgery. I can't think of any reason *not* to have use a MET over an XC lid except for the fact that they cost more (which when doing a risk/benefit analysis is a perfectly valid point).

The Met is obviously not designed to protect your face when coming off ten foot gap jumps. But it doesn't sound like the OP is doing that kind of riding.

tricycle

Banned
I've got a Parachute as well as what's probably the best ventilated full face helmet available (Specialized Deviant). Despite being light and well ventilated, the Deviant is still a lot hotter than the Parachute. The Parachute is no hotter than a normal XC lid.

I'm always puzzled by people who confuse the intention of the Met and a full face. The Met is designed to protect against falling flat on your face during normal riding, when even a slow fall can result in a smashed nose or broken teeth. If this results in a superficial cut or two on the face, who cares? It still beats dental surgery. I can't think of any reason *not* to have use a MET over an XC lid except for the fact that they cost more (which when doing a risk/benefit analysis is a perfectly valid point).

The Met is obviously not designed to protect your face when coming off ten foot gap jumps. But it doesn't sound like the OP is doing that kind of riding.
that should be the sales pitch!!!!!!!!! i have 1 and that sums it up.i use it for trail riding and use my d2 for downhilling,i rode up the top half of beerburrum late this afternoon with my d2 on and it was not pleasant to say the least.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
i feel the urge!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to get one of these but then heard that whilst they are great as a helmet they are useless in hot climates as the venting is low and the sweat resevoir overflows blinding you on the gnarliest of descents.....

i still love the look of them so im wondering are these bad points still valid? Has anybody got any experience.