Maydena Bike Park

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I took my Aurum as I didn't want to trash my Range in the mud. Turned out we actually got a pretty good 3 day window with the weather and I would have been happier on my Range on everything except the double blacks, they are nuts.
Next trip I'll take my Range, ride the blacks and below and just hire a Sender for a day for the crazy stuff.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That sounds perfect. I was thinking week of the 14th for Maydena. Mind if I hang out with you and the boys?
No worries, will PM you, we are staying in the cvan park and have 3 nights there with a possible 4th if needed. Dont have to be at Cradle till the 18th.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This.

Doesn’t it act like a DH bike of sorts?
It does but there aint no replacement for displacement and the Legend has a full 200mm of travel front and back. The Pole has 160/150.

I don't get on well with hire bikes so might take the Pole and the Legend. I'm not sure I will be hitting any double blacks but I hope my skills will improve over the course of the week to the point where I might consider it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

No worries, will PM you, we are staying in the cvan park and have 3 nights there with a possible 4th if needed. Dont have to be at Cradle till the 18th.
Cool, just sent a pm. I'll probably book a cabin in town so will have a spare room if anyone wants to split accomodation costs on 14-18 Jan.

rstim

Likes Dirt
So I got the all clear last night to do a 4-5 day midweek mtb trip in January. Was thinking of hitting up Maydena or Derby.
If your planning on heading to Derby send me a message I live close and should be able to come show you around.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
It does but there aint no replacement for displacement and the Legend has a full 200mm of travel front and back. The Pole has 160/150.

I don't get on well with hire bikes so might take the Pole and the Legend. I'm not sure I will be hitting any double blacks but I hope my skills will improve over the course of the week to the point where I might consider it.

I took my 160 Pivot Mach 6 to Maydena around a year ago. It was just enough to hit single black trail. I tried riding one of their double black, but it was too steep and I chickened out. Ended up walking it and proceed to one of the blue ones. Any super endo bike with about 170/180 should be enough to do it.

Was there for 2 days and the sky wouldn't stop dumping! The mud was so sticky the wheel wouldn't spin on the way down. So make sure whatever bike u take have plenty of mud clearance in case the weather is being mean.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I took my Aurum as I didn't want to trash my Range in the mud. Turned out we actually got a pretty good 3 day window with the weather and I would have been happier on my Range on everything except the double blacks, they are nuts.
Next trip I'll take my Range, ride the blacks and below and just hire a Sender for a day for the crazy stuff.
Can you describe this crazy stuff please @Duane?

Yet1

Likes Dirt
I found the double blacks at Maydena no real harder than the blacks, there was just no 'B-Line' on a lot of the features that you would get on the blue/black trails. Some of the black and double black trails are f$%@n steep. I have happily ridden my 160mm bike on every trail there. Did cop more of a beating on some trails though, but was definitely capable.

Oddjob

Just booked in from 11th of Jan to 16th for Maydena. Have a whole house and a transfer from Hobart airport to myself so if any burners want a cheap deal on accomodation and transfers PM me. Woot!

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you describe this crazy stuff please @Duane?
I guess I'm not the person to ask because apparently the double blacks are no different to the blacks which I rode happily. . . ?
They were wet and being so steep I struggled on the doubles for any sort of grip. The drops were a bit bigger too with more consequence.
Dryer conditions could make a difference. But I'm just an old hack.

pavey

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, heading down with some mates from Jan 1st till the 6th. me and one of the other guys are staying an additional day to what everyone else in our group had booked for so we need to sort out some accommodation for the Saturday night (Jan 5th). anyone down at the same time with some spare space? (will pay obviously)

Oddjob

Can anyone tell me about the shuttles at Maydena? Do they use crank holders for the bikes?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Can anyone tell me about the shuttles at Maydena? Do they use crank holders for the bikes?

No not crank holders. Bike stand up or hang up vertically with wheels in hoops. Whatever you call that sort of set up.
Just read that Maydena was evacuated because of fires.

Oddjob

No not crank holders. Bike stand up or hang up vertically with wheels in hoops. Whatever you call that sort of set up.
Just read that Maydena was evacuated because of fires.
Cool thanks. The fire warning has beendowngraded due to change in weather. Maydena fb page says they are operating as normal tomorrow.

Oddjob

Anyone got any tips for tyre choice at Maydena.

Planning to run a Shorty f/HR r combo on the Legend for loose or wet conditions and an HR f/Agressor r for the dry.

Running a 27.5+ DHF f/Aggressor r on the Pole. Only planning to ride the Pole in the dry.

Would this be ok?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Anyone got any tips for tyre choice at Maydena.

Planning to run a Shorty f/HR r combo on the Legend for loose or wet conditions and an HR f/Agressor r for the dry.

Running a 27.5+ DHF f/Aggressor r on the Pole. Only planning to ride the Pole in the dry.

Would this be ok?
Forecast looks dry for a week.

Can't go wrong with DHR2 on both or Magic Mary up front and DHR2 rear.
Will be good for the loamy and soft dirt sections ... and the chance that it rains.

"rolling resistance" is negligible in Maydena.

But to answer your questions, yeah your tyres will be fine.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, holy fucking shit, Maydena blew my mind. Spent 2.5 days there and want to go back ASAP.
Just the size of the features was amazing, the berms were out of this world.
I don’t even want to go back to Thredbo now haha.

Last edited:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Yeahnah. I will hopefully be avoiding that.
King Brown, Tinder, Pamela, Supercross, Orbit and the Local!

So, holy fucking shit, Maydena blew my mind. Spent 2.5 days there and want to go back ASAP.
Just the size of the features was a amazing, the berms were out of this world.
I don’t even want to go back to Thredbo now haha.
Yeah it gets a bit like that.