Marsh Guard or MuckyNutz

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I did a bit of a search but not much info . Who runs what and do they actually work ? Last few rides have been muddy and of course everything cops it . I know it won`t stop everything but anything is better than nothing .

marc.r

Likes Dirt
got a marsh guard after spending a weekend with mud constantly being flung in my face.

does the job and is minimal enough that its not worth removing over on dry rides.

most of those little mud boogers that flick up in your face on downhills are taken out. added bonus is your fork arch/stanchions stay cleaner thus your seals/service time should increase :). sure they are a bit # enduro and its $20 for a bit of plastic but hey... its only $20 and it works.

if your tight just download a template and make your own out of a milk bottle or something!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i use an 89 cent officeworks one. $1.78 got me front and rear mud guards, keeps the poo out of my eyes and linkages.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just cut an old tube to the length of your crown to lowers, slit it down the middle and put 4 zip ties through it. Free, just take it off when the weathers dry. Someone decided they could make money out of it obviously.

edit: like this...
p4pb7097076.jpg

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best thing about them is they stop all the mud, dust and grit getting near the fork seals.

The worst is when a rock gets stuck on the tyre and makes that scraping noise against the guard every time the wheel goes around.

Daisy

Likes Dirt
they are both very similar items. just get whichever you like......the end result will be minimal crap on your fork stanchions.
Cheers

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Just be careful about rocks getting stuck between the guard and stanchion... I've seen/heard/read of many a scratched stanchion from this.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Just be careful about rocks getting stuck between the guard and stanchion... I've seen/heard/read of many a scratched stanchion from this.
I think you'll find the guards are recommended for preventing the scratches.
They stop rocks from getting caught between the arch and stanchions.

Z

Zaf

Exact reason why I run one all the time out here in Alice, safety guard for my seals and stanchions.
Although, recently when my bike was out of action I switched my wheels onto my Fuel EX and was riding that about, it's amazing the difference it makes in keeping grit out of your face. The Fuel EX doesn't have the Marsh Guard on it, and I was getting sand and dirt, noticeably hitting, without the guard on.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
They don't go anywhere near the stanchions. They sit under the arch of your fork lowers.
Well what I saw was Pike specific... and the arch is quite high on them.
But what I meant was, a rock can be caught between the guard and the stanchion, not the arch and stanchion.

EDIT: Nevermind - my terrible memory remembered it wrong.
It was NSD, posting about using a Marsh Guard to stop a rock getting between the arch and stanchion.

Perhaps I should say hi in the fuckwits thread again. :)

Last edited: