ROAD Marin Muirwoods

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Frame - 2022 Marin Muirwoods CrMo
Fork - Marin steel moto-blade (?)
Handlebars - FMFXTR 90mm riser cut from 780 to 720 (Ram Cycle Parts)
Stem - Marin generic
Headset - FSA No.8B
Grips - Marin generic
Saddle - Marin generic
Seatpost - Marin generic
Front brake - Tektro M275 180mm
Rear brake - Tektro M275 160mm
Cranks - Bafang BBS02 500w mid drive
Chain - KMC X10
Pedals - Hacked Generic Cheese
Rear derailleur - microShift Advent X
Rear shifter - microShift Advent X
Cassette - Sunrace 10sp 11-51t
Wheels - Marin generic - forged hubs, 32h double wall rims
Tyres - Schwalbe Citizen 700x42c
Total weight - One day I will borrow some scales to weigh my bikes, I'm gonna say under 20kg...

It started with me riding the sled to work trying to keep up with my Mrs after upgrading her to a Bafang mid drive unit and 3 speed hub. The tiny cranks and single speed blew my knee up after 90km over a few days, and that was it, NBD.

Jumped on bicyclesonline, after trawling Gummie and everywhere else looking for a commuter/city bike this popped up and was $999, sick I thought. Except when I went to buy it was $1258 shipped because I was looking at the US site. Oh well, it ticked the boxes, Muirwoods is a 1980's original MTB from Marin, and now it has morphed to a MTB inspired urban commuter made from CrMo and ready to rock some massive tryes if you want to get off the bitumen, with modern MTB style gemoetry to boot. XL has a 475 reach, 657 ETT, 67.5 HTA, 74 STA, low standover and looks great.

Ordered it Thursday night, received it the following Monday morning. Unreal! It came packaged with a bunch of velcro straps with foam blocks, super solid and easy to lift the whole thing out and undo to finish assembly. Very easy to put together, but I had to change the stem height and it was tricky to tension the headset and not make it too tight or loose, also I think it budged a tiny bit when riding as I'm gettng some vibration in the front under hard braking so will check that out tonight when I get home from work. No other dramas assembling, took it for a quick spin round the block and it felt really good, motor kit was due to arrive the next day.

Motor kit came, it all looked like it would be straight forward so I started pulling the cranks off to fit it. The drive side chainstay, despite having a nice indented bit, was 3mm too wide for the motor unit so I was suddenly in need of longer bolts, washers and some BB spacers, of which I only had washers. Quick trip to SpecFast, then the LBS's to see if I could get the BB spacers locally. First LBS Cycle City had a large box of ring like things which I rifled through for ten mins, to no avail. 99 Bikes didn't think they existed, so Pushys it was. I entered the shop, was attended to by a friendly fellow in about 10 seconds, who went straight out the back to get the rings, meanwhile at least two other staff asked if I was being looked after as the first guy took a few mins to locate 3 rings for me. He returned, I checked the size, and he said just have them. Yep, that happened at Pushys Fyshwick, saved my day and didn't charge me anything, legendary.

So I got the motor fitted on Tuesday night, but was still waiting for the handlebars which I ordered on Monday after testing the rig and realising as suspected the flat bars were too low. Was dicing up whether to do the cockpit setup and redo as my bars apparently weren't due until the following Wednesday (was now Friday) but fuck that, I hate dong cockpits at the best of times and it's always a bit of a saga fitting all the bits on the bars for a kit based e-bike commuter so not doing it twice.

Stoked that the bars (they're pretty solid for $55 shipped) rocked up on Saturday, so it was going to be a big day of building. The bars only just made it with existing cabling, massive relief. The fat clamp on the Cleanskin light was an absolute PITA, I had to mount it up near the brake lever because not enough room on the riser bar for the display unit and light near the stem. I was able to make some little extensions to use my previously cut to 26" guards on the front and the back just snuck on to the top pannier holes. I had to file a small groove in the pannier rack to stop the rear der cable having an even worse bend than how it came from the factory.

I have just routed the cables and not shortened or tidied them up properly yet as it's good to run it a bit while still having easy access to cables before you stick them all in conduit to make it look tidier, but I did wrap the bottom bundle and have it looking OK. I also used a skateboard truck bushing to space the motor and allow clearance for the underneath cable routing.

The 250w version of the motor is good for about 35km/h on the highest setting on flat pedalling with it, this 500w is good for 45km/h. It felt very similar to the 750w units I've ridden before. We both rode to work this morning, 15km in 35 minutes on >95% bike path, Mrs is on level 5 and I'm between 2 and 3 on mine to stick with her.

AdventX is impressive, smooth shifting, solid feel, and the gear sensor which a lot of kit builders overlook is really great as you just shift when you like and it cuts power momentarily. The frame is really nice and has the compliant steel feel, more so than the other steel bikes I have had.

The only bad thing about the bike is the cheese pedals, which would be fine for most people in dry conditions but I hate slippery platforms esp when wet. While I was doing the build I came across some spare pedal pins and had a bright idea. I drilled some holes and screwed the pins in with threadlock, two per side on the outside of the platform, I didn't want full on big pin platforms riding in work shoes and this worked brilliantly, I hope they are strong enough to stay in. I'll also get a stand as it has the proper mounting for a bolt on one.

I'll snap a few more detail pics later, but it needs a name, so far suggestions are:

Slamsterdam
Black Steel
Murly - mate and both agree this is a poor person's Surly

I also wrote a letter to my local MP about e-bike legislation and how it is a barrier to commuting. This poor bugger today was on his $5k+ e-MTB pushing into the wind at about 24km/h while Mrs and I rode past at about 32km/h effortlessly, and actually only using about 200w to maintain the speed, the display now has a watt meter so you can see what you're using at any time.

Total build cost excluding labour and old parts was just over $2300. Should be paid off in fuel savings late next year.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I just went and watched the video which I had not done before, I just read the spec and thought oh yeah, cool vid. I also read the full details and discovered the graphics on the frame are reflective.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice.
Are the guards carry over or are they new for this build?
Do you know if this frame is shared with any MTB in their range?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Very nice.
Are the guards carry over or are they new for this build?
Do you know if this frame is shared with any MTB in their range?
Scotty T said:
I was able to make some little extensions to use my previously cut to 26" guards on the front and the back just snuck on to the top pannier holes.
I think this is the only steel off roader, looks really nice:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Front braking vibration was the delrin bushing in the QR bedding in, quick tighten and almost gone. Headset still had a tiny bit of play, it's now tighter than I'd usually do them but I reckon it's also bedding in. It definitely loosened since the initial build.

slowmick

38-39"
She's definitely a unique looking bike. Makes me think of the Australia Post E-Bikes.

Hope it gives you many trouble free years of commuting.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
She's definitely a unique looking bike. Makes me think of the Australia Post E-Bikes.

Hope it gives you many trouble free years of commuting.
My mate has a pre-electric model of the Post bike with a 750w mid drive, it hoots.

Observations from about 150km of commuting.

The Bafang cranks are made of cheese. 4-5km and mine will start to creak, no matter how tight I've done them. The torque rating is 40nm but I don't have a massive torque wrench for that, and found many reports of these things coming loose. One report said if you torque them properly the first time they are usually OK, but I cranked them as hard as I could and they keep undoing, wife's takes longer, prolly because she's a bit lighter. I'm ordering 2 sets of Lekkie Buzz Bars, can use Shimano Steps square taper but they are only available from overseas and either shipping is stupid or they will take a month. I'll just pay the 70-100 extra per set and support a small NZ company.

32km/h is a really nice cruising speed for both bikes, we gave it a little pedal today on the flat sections and made it to work in 31 minutes, on the open flat section there were no riders or walkers so we easily sat on 35. 15km ride feels like a brisk 1-2km walk as far as excercise. I've implemented knicks under my jeans or under shorts as the saddle is not great in boxers, but it is totally fine in some basic knicks.

The front brake is still a bit annoying, a bit squeaky and grabby almost chatter feel when you crank down on them but nothing is loose so not that kind of chatter, will clean the pads/rotors properly and see how that goes, if no joy replace with better ones. Might need to quick bleed, lever feel is just slightly softer on front.

Otherwise this bike is a fantastic ride, the 90mm risers are in a great position of not completely sat up and it's super comfortable.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Did a total of 53km on Tuesday, got low voltage drop towards the end, so range is about 45km on med/full noise settings. On the leg home I left after lunch for a haircut appointment and wound it up to 11, over my 14.2 km commute I averaged 34km/h. On Canberra's bike paths it was almost as exhilerating as MTB'ing, hit 54km/h on the flat at one stage, pretty much full pedal effort and starting off a decent hill to get there but maintained it for half a kay or so.

Mrs and I are commuting in 30 odd minutes which is average 28km/h, the best I ever did when I was fitter and riding lots was 32 mins on my old commuter and it completely smashed me.

Fresh CNC anno bits.

Quick pic at the dam.