Manned Space X launch

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Bwhaha, excuse of the year right there Mr globe Trotter
But - next generation of Space X with be methane powered I believe. Its an easy molecule to manufacture on Mars - just need carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, water and electricity.

stirk

Burner
I have a meeting in bloody Brussels tonight. Zoom at 11pm is vey uncivilised, thankfully i dont have to present this time...
Brussels full of covid19?

I'm just joking with ya re the travel, but still it's funny that pollution is still deemed stunning. It looks disturbingly cool when you link it back to where it came from.

Some of the sunsets we see that look amazing can be attributed to pollution, especially the brown ones. I recall an idea to build an elevator into space, what happened to that one?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Brussels full of covid19?

I'm just joking with ya re the travel, but still it's funny that pollution is still deemed stunning. It looks disturbingly cool when you link it back to where it came from.

Some of the sunsets we see that look amazing can be attributed to pollution, especially the brown ones. I recall an idea to build an elevator into space, what happened to that one?
Bushfires make the best sunsets :)

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Instead of starting another space X I’ll post this here.

In case anyone is Intersted, starship will most likely explode this evening :) test is scheduled in about 5 hours.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
was it supposed to have all 3 engines fire up on landing?....I can see how that may have contributed to the minor turbulence on touchdown!

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m guessing all 3 were meant to fire but the header tanks that ran the engines on landing lost/ran out of pressure and the rest is history/explosion.
All in all, an amazing flight. Whilst I’m sure they would of loved to kept SN8 in one piece SN9 is just around the corner, hopefully some more flights before the end of the year!

ausdb

Being who he is
Not space x, but massively cool.

Cruise stage separation 7.38 aest tomorrow morning.
I was listening to the old people's radio station on the way to work this morning and they interviewed a geologist boffin. There is a small piece of rock (chert) from Marble Bar in WA on board the lander which is being used as a calibration target for some of the sampling gear.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That was fucking cool.
Today wasn't so cool. Best thing was reading someone referring to it as "Space Karen’s penis compensator". Here's a theory/explanation:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Today wasn't so cool. Best thing was reading someone referring to it as "Space Karen’s penis compensator". Here's a theory/explanation:

That was all expected as I understand it, and as it was going to be ditched anyway damage to the vehicle wasn't too much of an issue.

They sure got good data on its performance with dropped engines though!

Looks like the separation failed, and booster was trying to do its flip for the return burn with a monkey on its back. They're saying it held together way longer than expected and they can probably save some weight in the structure for future builds!

But the one that flew was already obsolete, the next couple already built have a lot of design changes - this was launched almost to get it out of the way ;)