Manly Dam....... WTF???

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Did a lap of the dam this arvo and the powers that be have turn the track from the PWY to the start of the 19th hole into one big road...... And I mean every EVERYTHING resembling a rock was either hit with a diamond cutter or dumped with sand to level it off,,, WTF???

Please, please tell me that they are planning to re route the track in the bush cause if this is their idea of improving the track they might aswell bitumen the whole loop now.....

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
That's a bit disappointing! I'll have a look tomorrow. It's was never a easy trail for a beginner but that's why I enjoyed it.

will2

Likes Dirt
We get shot down for single track being non environmental, the fire road turns into to Nile when it rains, how can that possibly acceptable.

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did a lap of the dam this arvo and the powers that be have turn the track from the PWY to the start of the 19th hole into one big road...... And I mean every EVERYTHING resembling a rock was either hit with a diamond cutter or dumped with sand to level it off,,, WTF???

Please, please tell me that they are planning to re route the track in the bush cause if this is their idea of improving the track they might aswell bitumen the whole loop now.....

Are you referring to the fire road section? I'm assuming they fixed it back to being a functional fire road... There's been a lot of that happening around the beaches lately.

There was an audit that recommended various additional sections of singletrack. Sweet f#ck all was adopted.

On the bright side, new trails will be opening on the Bantry Bay side (in the national park) in the near future.

markgab

Likes Dirt
Are you referring to the fire road section? I'm assuming they fixed it back to being a functional fire road... There's been a lot of that happening around the beaches lately.

There was an audit that recommended various additional sections of singletrack. Sweet f#ck all was adopted.

On the bright side, new trails will be opening on the Bantry Bay side (in the national park) in the near future.

Went there today and i'm sadly disappointed :(
I MISSED THE ROCK SECTION!

Guess what i encountered.. a black snake...
I fcking stacked it.... could it be a red belly?

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The area the OP would most likely be talking about is the fire road decent from the parkway to the creek.

What the OP needs to remember is that its a FIRE ROAD! Its there to help with bush fires and to allow back burning. Riding on it is allowed but riding is not the reason for the road. They grade and level all fire roads every 5-8 years. It has happened to this fire road before and will happen again.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
I usually ride extended loop and there is no change there, just the fire road that goes down to the water and back up I guess?

Anyway I am looking forward to the new sections over at Bantry Bay!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
God forbid that the northern beaches boyos would have to go else where for a ride?!!

In fairness, its a fire road that we use as a mtb trail.... thats it!
As already stated, it has a greater purpose than to entertain the weekend warriors.

Get over it... there are other (and far superior) trails within easy commute of Manly Dam.....

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Guess what i encountered.. a black snake...
I fcking stacked it.... could it be a red belly?
Hope you didn't stack on top of it :) that would be my worse nightmare, see the snake and crash right on top of it. I missed a black one about that length by about 1 inch a little while back through a rocky section.

The area the OP would most likely be talking about is the fire road decent from the parkway to the creek.

What the OP needs to remember is that its a FIRE ROAD! Its there to help with bush fires and to allow back burning. Riding on it is allowed but riding is not the reason for the road. They grade and level all fire roads every 5-8 years. It has happened to this fire road before and will happen again.
God forbid that the northern beaches boyos would have to go else where for a ride?!!

In fairness, its a fire road that we use as a mtb trail.... thats it!
As already stated, it has a greater purpose than to entertain the weekend warriors.

Get over it... there are other (and far superior) trails within easy commute of Manly Dam.....
Sorry, my bad.... Assumed it was just an old fire road only accessed by rangers in 4WDs once in a blue moon.

stirk

Burner
Sorry, my bad.... Assumed it was just an old fire road only accessed by rangers in 4WDs once in a blue moon.
I can read the headline story.....

Homes around Manly Dam were burnt down in a bush fire, the homes could have been saved but the Fire Brigade could not traverse the unkept fire trail quickly enough to set up containment lines due to the rough conditions of the ungraded fire trail.

Questions are being asked why the fire trail was not managed.

Meanwhile in other news, an angry Mob of Nob's are complaining about a lack of rough and rocky fire trails in their area to ride their mountain bikes on and have stated they will now all go ride the fire trails in the Blue Mountains instead.

Oh fuck, no.....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
lol, give the guy a break, he didn't realise it was a fire road.

On another note, my knee is still rooted so fack everyone who can ride a bike on any surface!!!!

stirk

Burner
lol, give the guy a break, he didn't realise it was a fire road.

On another note, my knee is still rooted so fack everyone who can ride a bike on any surface!!!!

My local fire trails got messed up after the bush fires last October by trucks, graders and Dozers and took a few months to settle down and become interesting again.
Just let the mums and dads pack it down till you ride the Dam again oh and pray for some heavy rains, that's what sorted my locals runs out, big rains flush the loose top sand away leaving nice virgin rock.

Your knees have been stuffed for ages johnny, poor bastard, you gotta stop all that kneeling buddy!

dr1ver

Squid
Went to Manly Dam today, while I understand the reason for smoothing out the downhill section.

It is now ruined and not as fun as it used to be. Its all just loose sand now and almost caught me out at the beginning!

slowandold

Likes Dirt
They put the hazard reduction burn in, then graded the fire trail. So, in 5-10 yrs time the bush will have regenerated and be at the point of needing another burn, but the trail will have degenerated to the condition it was prior to grading. :frusty: