Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah sure, wasn’t having a dig, answer given makes sense. It’s just also bloody hot with no shade and then there’s the runoff etc. Not my cup of tea, was curious as to the motivation.
Yeah, it's not for everyone's taste that's for sure, maybe a shade sail or two later on. I'll confess that I hate mowing :p, it's a whole day affair for me, plus pick up palm tree fronds and broken branches from the other trees.

MasterOfReality

After forever
There were a few factors for deciding to concrete the entire lot:
  • we weren’t allowed to put another driveway to the curb.
  • because of that, we needed to get access off the existing driveway. Swinging a 200 series in there needs a bit of room! So once we worked out what was comfortable, I just went fuck it do the whole lot….
  • our young kids can go berserk on their bikes.
  • that part of the block wasn’t graded/contoured properly and the water would pool everywhere and be a nuisance.
  • there was a whole lot of pea gravel down the side of the house in a poor landscaping attempt which was a massive pita, and we wanted to get rid of that.
  • potential boat, caravan parking, besides you can never have too much parking space.
  • cut down on mowing and maintenance
By concreting it, we fixed all those issues. Besides, I'm half Italian so the inner wog came out :)

The drainage (all 100 mm piping, including the shed and we also had that side of the house rejigged to 100 mm piping) was pre-planned (in one of the photos you can see a drain set into the concrete between the shed and house. The driveway has falls in it to spoon all the run off to the drain, and a bit runs off the other side. It pissed down today and it worked awesome. That drain exits some 25 m further away into the bush part of our block.

Yeah it’s gonna get hot out there, a shade sail will prob make its way into the picture later on as well as some big pots with trees.

There is a courtyard along the side of the house next to the shed. The next phase is to landscape that, along with the shed and apron area.

Also looking into the possibility of having a rendered besser block fence with aluminium slats built along our frontage (approx 60 m), with an electric gate across the existing driveway.

Yes it’s a big area and may be too much concrete to some eyes, however we also have approx 850 sqm on the other side of our house (this side properly levelled and grassed), so as a whole it’s not too bad.

I still feel like I need a classic 911 or Alfa 1750/2000 GTV or even a Montreal in my life, I can wash them all next to each other!

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Story -

I had about a 2m tall 600L+ fridge freezer as my beer fridge in the garage, it was 14yrs old and was loosing its cool, even fully turned up it was just about chilling beers but the freezer still worked.

This fridge had 8 years of MTB stickers on it, I nearly felt like stripping the steel off it before taking it to the recyclers today. It was saying goodbye to an old friend.

So, bought a 120L bar fridge yesterday, second-hand for $80, only 2 years old and was used as an occasional drinks fridge.

There wasn't as much real estate for stickers but I have a drawer full so was looking forward to getting it stickered up.

Missus says I'll have to drink smart rather than buy 5 cartons at once. It fits 2 easily though.

Got the fridge home... Fark, it still has the plastic coating over the SS finish, started to strip it off really easily, ahhhh shit, about 30mm in from the edge it was like glued on. After 2 hours and many solvents I gave up.

Ok the front that looked 100% now looks like shit... needs some wall paper without overlapping my good stickers.

Got a squillion stickers but not too many that fit in that space.

Re-cycled some damaged but newish tyres I had been holding on to (for no reason)

Even built a storage unit with 3 shelves to take up the space that the old freezer used to occupy.

Must be easier on the electricity too.

ozzybmx

Stans in the fridge...I'm buying a shed fridge.
Only the new ones, I have about another 3 in use.

Joes for tyre smasher #2 son only, I bought 5 x 1L bottles a year or so ago, only 1L full left and he's on a half used bottle. Never met a bloke who smashed through tyres and sealant as fast as he does.

No point wasting good stuff on him, he only unloads the full tyre load to atmosphere anyway.

ozzybmx

Chilled bum cream? I hope there’s no double dipping on that one. :oops:

View attachment 382812
Burn cream... expensive stuff from the hospital.

I moved 4 tubs of bum cream to a drawer (Chamios cream) it used to live in the fridge too until yesterday.

Had to streamline operations, went from about 400L of fridge space to ~100L with an unused token freezer compartment.

I dont use chamois cream anymore anyway, anything under a 2hr ride I wear jocks, over 2hr I will wear padded chamois shorts, a big day out I will use chamois cream.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

I moved 4 tubs of bum cream to a drawer (Chamios cream) it used to live in the fridge too until yesterday.

Had to streamline operations, went from about 400L of fridge space to ~100L with an unused token freezer compartment.

I dont use chamois cream anymore anyway, anything under a 2hr ride I wear jocks, over 2hr I will wear padded chamois shorts, a big day out I will use chamois cream.
Oh…burn cream. Ha. Ok that makes more sense.

ozzybmx

If you need burn cream maybe it is time for an ebike?
#1 son stood in a camp fire with crocks on 8 years ago. The fire was used all Easter weekend for about 80 people and was filled over with the grey burnt ashes... I suppose it looked like you could walk on it.

He was rushed to Berri Hospital then Renmark for the Royal Flying Doc to take him to Adelaide.

4 weeks in the burns unit.

Those people do amazing things there.

1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his foot with skin grafts off both thighs to fix it. Lucky boy.

They reckon the fact he kept the skin on his heel and the ball of his foot has saved him so much grief. He did lose all the skin between is toes so it will need 'cut' later as the skin will grow between his toes and give him webbed like feet.

ozzybmx

Wow, hope that has healed as best as possible. Burns are bad.
He's 100%.

When we looked around the burns unit in the Adelaide Womens & Childrens Hospital, we were the lucky ones.

There were kids with 50% burns or more, little babies that were in a bouncy seat while mum did kitchen stuff, just to get the freshly boiled kettle tipped over them. Kids that had fell in fires and had hands, arms and facial burns... it was terrible. Then us with a burnt foot...

Burns are a terrible injury, they are about 100% guaranteed to get infected.

There are the worst injury you can get.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Too bloody right; I worked on a medical show years back and the process of dealing with them and doing the grafts was eye-wideningly horrific. Never forgotten that.
I stuck the end of my finger into a rip saw many years ago and lost the tip. Pretty bloody painful but the skin graft patch further up the finger hurt more. What’s a medical show? Like ER on tv ?

Flow-Rider

Burner

You wouldn't want to get too tanked at your place, you might grab the tyre sealant out of the fridge and have a quick scull by accident.