Majura Pines Trail Building Thread

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Uhhhh, yes. As per the post above yours.
Well don't I feel like a douche lol

Where you've mentioned "bigger than what you're really comfortable with" you referring to the jumps, drops, etc?

I'll give it a crack over the long weekend :D

Klips

Likes Dirt
There's some big jumps, particularly for someone learning the trail, and I'm a bit soft when it comes to these things. No massive drops though, unless you're going at mega warp speed.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Thanks Trail Fairies - I rode Mt Majura on Monday with a group of guys - it's definitely a different option for riding in Canberra, it's very well built and has a flavour and character all of its own.

Glad you all like our work out at Majura :) There is more trail building to come over the next few months (new trails), so the place will only get bigger and better.

The next bit of work will be to start reviving Auto Alley (the western black graded xc trail), with the build day happening this Sunday at 9.00am.

Myself and a couple of mates have been riding Majura every Thursday lunch for a couple of months now.
Very impressed with the work that's gone into it. More and more riders appear each week but not crowded at all.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Has anyone ridden 'Whammy'? It's another drop in next to AJ's Leap.
I stumbled across it after taking the wrong turn.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I must congratulate the trail builders, I grew up in Majura and now live close so its my local. planet Claire is my fav run and I could do it all day.

the fire road to the top has been graded lately which makes the push to the top of the DH a lot better too.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just heard from a little birdy (who has family in forestry) that Majura will be clear felled in 1 month.

Anyone have any news on that?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
oh I sure hope not. Can deal with Kowen being felled, but not Majura...

But I guess thats the reality of pines.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Just heard from a little birdy (who has family in forestry) that Majura will be clear felled in 1 month.

Anyone have any news on that?
Al posted a hint up on facebook last night, but not the location so I'm guessing it's not supposed to be public knowledge as yet...

Also what that means for the 24hr scheduled for October....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I think my source may have said Majura but meant Kowen as they won't both be happening simultaneously.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well, my contact has double checked and is 100% that it's both Majura and Kowen that are to be logged with Majura to commence in 4-6 weeks.

Whilst I also find this difficult to believe after the cash injection that place received this person is in a place to know and I'm inclined to take their word for it.

Time will tell, so cross your fingers and pray to whichever god it is you grovel to that I am wrong.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Don't know, you have all the information I've been given and I don't think I can push for any more at this stage.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from the fb group

Majura Pines Trail Alliance Majura Pines is a working forest; this is something we have always known and was laid out in the Master Plan.
A portion of the forest is scheduled to be logged this year. Majura Pines Trail Alliance are in talks with ACT Parks as to how to best preserve the trails and keep as much of the forest open during the work.
As soon as we have definite information it will be posted here

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Heads up to anybody thinking of riding Majura - we shipped up to the Hackett entrance and rode up the fire trail to find signs saying it's been closed since June due to logging or some such.

Not sure what the story is as I'm not on Facebook.