Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've looked back and there are any number of Mac question threads, so I might just combine them all into one thread. When I get around to it, I'll merge them altogether as a nice little database of Mac info.

Ok, here's a simple one for you all;

How the hell do I find out how much memory space I have left??!!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Johnny do you mean Hard Drive space, or how much RAM is currently being used? The application you use to see all this info is in: Applications > Utilities > "Activity Monitor". There are a number of tabs towards the bottom of the application, showing CPU, RAM and Hard Drive information.
What version of OS X are you running?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Hard drive was what I was looking for. Found it, thanks. Best be clearing some space off my puter me thinks!!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Haha, they all get like that eventually. Another way is to just do a "Command - I" for "Get Info" on the Hard Drive Icon. That will quickly tell you Capacity and Space Available. No pretty pie graphs though :(

By the way, good idea getting all the info into one thread. It will come in handy having everything in the one spot.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
OK, i got a question.

Everytime I start up my MacBook Pro, Final Cut Express automatically opens at the last project i was working on. How do i stop this?

toodles

Wheel size expert
Hey, just because I'm retarded doesn't mean my computer is too!
It's named after a piece of fruit. It's biggest marketing advantage is that it's impossible for morons to stuff up and that you can get it in pretty colours.

Like Crayolas, Macs are there to keep "those" people away anything they can harm themselves or others with.

cam.w

Likes Bikes
It's named after a piece of fruit. It's biggest marketing advantage is that it's impossible for morons to stuff up and that you can get it in pretty colours.

Like Crayolas, Macs are there to keep "those" people away anything they can harm themselves or others with.
so thats why the mac's are white...

ps. An actual question, with my mouse, i am unable to use the little ball to scroll upwards but i can scroll downwards. S***s me to no end because it is so annoying!

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable

ps. An actual question, with my mouse, i am unable to use the little ball to scroll upwards but i can scroll downwards. S***s me to no end because it is so annoying!
I've got the same problem.
Swapped the dead mouse with one at work... :eek:
and now it's happened to that one too! :mad:

nizai

Likes Dirt
Hard drive space is also stated at the bottom of every single finder window you open.

At least it is in 10.3.9, cant remember if it is in 10.4.10 which I run at work.

N

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

so very true, partly why i got sucked in too

Martin.au

Likes Dirt

The Mighty Mouse is cool, but it's also flawed. That scroll ball can get clogged up pretty fast. One possible solution is to turn the mouse upside down and rub rapidly on a piece of clean white paper.

I use a Logitech instead.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bah, I've tried but my husband is likely to buy a PC laptop (or notebook - whatever the preferred name is these days) and probably request XP for it rather than Vista. I don't plan to push it & try to convince him to get an apple because if he doesn't like it (or wants to be stubborn about learing a different thing) then it will be my fault.

Me I reckon I'll be deciding between a MacBook or a IMac (the desktop version) for home.

Where is the best place to buy Macs - through the online Apple site or from a shopfornt? Probably be buying in Bunbury / Busselton (closest) or Perth around February I guess.