Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Only when I'm on the net. When I open a new page. But it's pretty random in nature to be honest. A lot of the time when I'm filling in a text box of some sort.
I have this happen sometimes when I'm on the net at Uni. I've narrowed it down to being something to do with joining a wireless network. It seems to ask me if I go to a certain area of the uni or if I click on a page which must only be available to lecturers or those with passwords. Not sure what the fix is, but I'm convinced it's something to do with wireless networking and user account privileges.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nah, different pop up. My password was altered by a shop worker and this was the result. If you can tell me how to make screen shots I'll show you exactly what it is.

tu plang

knob
Do you leave mail open? It may be mail in the background trying to check your mail every 15min (or whatever its set to) he may have cleared your keychain and hence things like mail wont have passwords saved.

Screen shot = command (apple key) - shift - 3 for a full screen

or

command - shift - 4 and you can select an area.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sweet, thanks mate. No it's constantly doing it. I'm reading up on it now, it seems that the shop tech used it to change my password back.

I originally went in for some help on something > shop assist. changed password without informing me > went back to have it reset > now I have keychain issue > farkin idiots. :mad:

The stupid thing is that I just press cancel until it goes away and continue along with no problems!

Burgertron

Likes Dirt
You want TechTools

is there a way of giving my macbookpro a pep up so it runs a bit faster and also fix small glitches like when rograms close unexpectedly or due to an error. i spoke to a friend who works for mac a while ago and he said theres a simple application in the hardrive utilitys folder i should use regularly but i cant remember which one he said it was.

gosh its really frustrating being rather non-computer savvy. and before you ask no i have barely any music/photos/videos/etc on the hardrive.

nicky
Hi Nicky
Tu Plang was right about repairing your disk etc but if you have applecare you will have a basic version of TechTools which is a will make your machine run smoother...
With TechTool Pro you will be able to:

• Protect your computer and data.
• Create an emergency repair partition.
• Diagnose and repair problems with your drives.
• Optimize your drives.
• Recover data from damaged drives.
• Test critical computer components and sub-systems.
• Perform routine maintenance on your computer.
• Reveal the culprits which cause your Macintosh to crash.
• Test new equipment.
• Make sure that your computer is running as fast as it should be.
Basically its rebuilt my machine and now its sooooo much better
MK

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I go into keychain via applications/utilities and all I can do is get the list up for the sites/applications that are using the login chain. Now I have only ever used one password for this and it does not accept it. I know that tis password is correct because this is what I use to update software all the time. Am I right to assume that the shop assist. has used another password to help me change the password that they changed and the keychain is looking for that one...., the one the shop assist. used to to help me....., oh god.

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
I go into keychain via applications/utilities and all I can do is get the list up for the sites/applications that are using the login chain. Now I have only ever used one password for this and it does not accept it. I know that tis password is correct because this is what I use to update software all the time. Am I right to assume that the shop assist. has used another password to help me change the password that they changed and the keychain is looking for that one...., the one the shop assist. used to to help me....., oh god.
That's strange Johnny, I would get back onto the shop about it if this doesn't work: Stick in your disc (Leopard or whatever) and find the disk utility and run a verify/repair permissions. make sure you do this from the disc and not the applications/utilities etc.

Steve's_Sky1: The MacBook is really an excellent, excellent portable computer, if you don't need the extra portability, go for an iMac, they are awesome computers, the screen is beautiful and they can handle everything you want + more. If you want the best of both worlds and can afford it - MacBook Pro ;) :D

Steve's_Sky1

Likes Dirt
Steve's_Sky1: The MacBook is really an excellent, excellent portable computer, if you don't need the extra portability, go for an iMac, they are awesome computers, the screen is beautiful and they can handle everything you want + more. If you want the best of both worlds and can afford it - MacBook Pro ;) :D
Well yer i tossing between both of them laptop i could take anywhere example (school)

Sorry if this have been asked before but is it possible to get MSN Messanger on a mac or not?? or is yer like a messenger for macs??

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
Well yer i tossing between both of them laptop i could take anywhere example (school)

Sorry if this have been asked before but is it possible to get MSN Messanger on a mac or not?? or is yer like a messenger for macs??
Yup - The actual messenger for Mac is not quite as featured as the Windows version which IMHO is a good thing - it does what its supposed to without all the crap that the Windows version has become.

If you want more features than Adium is an excellent, excellent application which supports MSN and just about every other protocol out there.

If you really want as well, iChat can support MSN via a round about way (this is my personal preference). If interested PM me and Ill link you to a guide I wrote on how to do it.

www.mactalk.com.au is a great community I am a part of - very helpful for any questions you have :)

Steve's_Sky1

Likes Dirt
Yup - The actual messenger for Mac is not quite as featured as the Windows version which IMHO is a good thing - it does what its supposed to without all the crap that the Windows version has become.

If you want more features than Adium is an excellent, excellent application which supports MSN and just about every other protocol out there.

If you really want as well, iChat can support MSN via a round about way (this is my personal preference). If interested PM me and Ill link you to a guide I wrote on how to do it.

www.mactalk.com.au is a great community I am a part of - very helpful for any questions you have :)
Ok thanks for your help most appreciated:)

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

How to I get my songs off my iPod? I have all my songs on the other computer 3600+.

I have tried to use Podworks but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the current time.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
senuti

has an identical gui to itunes and you can select which folder in goes in, very simple

and while im at it, i have couple of questions,
twice in the past, my macbook froze while unplugging the cable for my Sony ericsson phone (k750)

well those phones dont require the unplugging thing, then i proceeded to restart it, but somehow the programs that we open (safari) lost everything.

my bookmarks dissapeared and so did all the settings
i used to have istats running the bar on top, that dissapeared as well, which i tried to reinstalled but came up with a very long error message.

the crash thing has happened a few times before and everytime it happened, the program that was running lost all of it info, many times on Itunes too.

!help!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey I finally have a mac - 20" Imac, basic config just optioned for a slightly bigger hard drive, and figured I'd buy additional memory much cheaper myself later down the track or when needed. Also opted for Iworks software & that's about it for now.

I'm loving it so far! The screen is almost as big as our TV! Yeah the tv is only a 26" lcd.

One question I do have is what Anti Virus software people use with Macs?
I was thinking of just getting Trend Micro PC Cillin again as that's what I had on the other computer (of course now it's no longer compatible). Just thought I'd ask to see if there are any better options or something that works particularly well with the Mac.

Or do mac's not even need anti virus?

LOL took me a while to figure out that I could configure the mouse so that the right click is a secondary button in functionality! Other than that it's not too dissimilar to using a windows computer.

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
Congrats on the purchase mate, your going to love it. The iMac is a beautiful machine.

Anti-virus software for Mac is also known as snake oil, don't let anyone convince you you need it. Well there is a but - it can be handy to stop you forwarding on Windows viri to other windows users, but they wont affect your system. generally though, it's a joke. Look for some free stuff if you really need it.

There have been 0 viruses for Mac EVER. There have been several security threats, all plugged quickly and any other holes people will tell you about all involved social engineering - ie. tricking people into installing a program that would constantly annoy you to buy it or something even though it claimed it was free. Nothing major and even still I could count those events on one hand.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions and check out www.mactalk.com.au

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
senuti

has an identical gui to itunes and you can select which folder in goes in, very simple

and while im at it, i have couple of questions,
twice in the past, my macbook froze while unplugging the cable for my Sony ericsson phone (k750)

well those phones dont require the unplugging thing, then i proceeded to restart it, but somehow the programs that we open (safari) lost everything.

my bookmarks dissapeared and so did all the settings
i used to have istats running the bar on top, that dissapeared as well, which i tried to reinstalled but came up with a very long error message.

the crash thing has happened a few times before and everytime it happened, the program that was running lost all of it info, many times on Itunes too.

!help!

Are you talking of a complete kernel panic, where you are told you have to restart by holding down the power button for 6 seconds?

I've had that happen in the past using some dodgy USB devices. I Still can't explain why you'd lose bookmarks and things though.