VIC Lysterfield trail survey (please help!)

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it of concern that the project manager for the Warburton trail system was previously the Lysterfield ranger?
PV negative attitudes are towards unofficial trails, the Warburton project is all new official trails and some reconstruction of old trails so there will be no issues there. Silvan concerns me. Some awesome unofficial stuff there that I'm concerned about.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
PV is making it hard in a few spots, Bendigo is struggling with them at the moment as well. I wish you guys the best!

http://www.mtbbendigo.com/index.php/blog/epic-announcement/
yeah, i've supported bendigo in so far as i can with this too, absolute tragedy losing the golden triangle event because of some near sighted decision making from PV. fingers crossed for a good outcome at lysty, because i feel like the results here could have an impact on other clubs and parks like bendigo...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
On top of the survey, please consider sending an email to the MPs in the area (listed above). Even if its just short, they probably wont take too much stock in the content, it would be more a numbers game than anything.

And thanks heaps to everyone thats dropped in a submission!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I got a response from pv today, which is more than I was expecting. Disappointing but expected attitude. "We hear your concerns, thank, but we're going to pursue our current agenda of making it impossible to expand your trail network"

Thank you for your email of 23 January 2020 to the Hon. Lily D’Ambrosio MP, Minister for Energy, Environment, and Climate Change, regarding mountain bike trails and facilities at Lysterfield Park. As this issue falls within Parks Victoria’s responsibilities, your correspondence has been forwarded to me to respond.
Thank you and the Lysterfield District Trail Riders for providing the comprehensive economic assessment report that will be duly considered by Parks Victoria staff when reviewing all the submissions received to the Lysterfield amendment.
Parks Victoria recognises that mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in Victoria, and that Lysterfield Park is well established as a mountain biking destination, now and in the future.
As such Parks Victoria is not closing or disrupting existing trails, tracks and roads that already provide for existing mountain bike trails.
Parks Victoria has sought to amend the existing Churchill National Park and Lysterfield Park Management Plan to reflect changes in visitation and types of use, and ensure contemporary management practices are applied to the protection of Aboriginal cultural heritage and environmental values; collectively this will all be considered and form the basis for future decision making.
The planning process includes analysing where mountain biking may continue to grow in the appropriate areas of the park.
Parks Victoria also recognises the importance of investing in kids’ programs and getting kids into nature.
Thank you for your email and attached economic assessment, which will be considered in the finalisation of the amendment to the Churchill National Park and Lysterfield Park Management Plan.
Should you require further advice on this matter, please contact Joshua Chikuse, Manager Park Planning on 8427 3711. Yours sincerely
Stuart Hughes
Director Park Planning and Policy Parks Victoria

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
But there's hope, political channels are being pursued!

FYI All,

MP Meetings with James and Luke went well.

James and Luke plan to meet with MP Lilly D'Ambrosio to discuss our concerns with the new management plan. The three main concerns are 1. The huge increase in the SPA, 2. That the SPA is "protecting" land like the area below the dam wall which has no or little environmental or cultural value due to past disturbance and 3. That the approved trails fail to address the need for more challenging descending type trails, the type which continues to be built informally.

I met also with the Casey council senior rec planners and Cr Rosalie Crestani. She is looking to draft a motion of support at the next council meeting in late Feb and take part in the photo op I've lined up with John Ferguson from the Age/Australian. Hopefully, this article will go out in the next few weeks.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
And again, thanks to everyone that filled in the survey and/or sent emails. Strength in numbers is a big part of increasing our chances of making a difference to this.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But there's hope, political channels are being pursued!

FYI All,

MP Meetings with James and Luke went well.

James and Luke plan to meet with MP Lilly D'Ambrosio to discuss our concerns with the new management plan. The three main concerns are 1. The huge increase in the SPA, 2. That the SPA is "protecting" land like the area below the dam wall which has no or little environmental or cultural value due to past disturbance and 3. That the approved trails fail to address the need for more challenging descending type trails, the type which continues to be built informally.

I met also with the Casey council senior rec planners and Cr Rosalie Crestani. She is looking to draft a motion of support at the next council meeting in late Feb and take part in the photo op I've lined up with John Ferguson from the Age/Australian. Hopefully, this article will go out in the next few weeks.

Best of luck SPA below the dam wall.. We have had issues on the yarra trails where land has been used as paddocks for 100+ years is now considered culturally significant and soil cannot be disturbed in any way.
I’m a bit of a greenie and more than happy to have significant areas locked down. But parks lack credibility when they try and protect land that has been legally butchered, like under the dam wall..