Locking bikes up in the garage.. solutions?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hi everyone,

I've just moved into a new house in the decrepit, dystopian slums of north-of-the-river Melbourne.

It has a brick garage with a front roller door and a fairly weak side door, but I don't really trust them. I need a solution for locking up my bikes in the garage. I've got 2 motocross bikes, a DH and an XC bike. At the moment I have them all stacked together and chained to each other with a high-tensile peice of chain (not sure if high tensile stuff is any better in terms of getting cut through?) as well as 33 inch mud tire and wheel, and my gripsport rack. Needless to say I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

I'm keen to see anyone elses setup.

Current thoughts are:
- Find a bigger chain (can anyone help on where I would source this?)
- Find a bigger padlock (again, how big do I need?)
- Hide the cut off and grinding wheels.
- Continue chaining everything together.

Other options:
- Get renters insurance (split between 3 housemates it might be okay cost wise).
- Get a steel plate with a loop welded onto it, dynabolt to the ground and then weld the bolts to the plate. I would do this at the back under the work bench (which had some random stuff covering it when I moved in) so I can remove it and cover it up again and noone will be the wiser when I move out.

Thanks everyone :)

moorey

call me Mia
:insert predictable pink poodle 'goat/watchdog' comment.

You haven't got a room inside you can dedicate to pushies? Even a spot in the conservatory, or ball room?

Ideate

Current thoughts are:
- Find a bigger chain (can anyone help on where I would source this?)
- Find a bigger padlock (again, how big do I need?)
- Hide the cut off and grinding wheels.
- Continue chaining everything together.

Other options:
- Get renters insurance (split between 3 housemates it might be okay cost wise).
- Get a steel plate with a loop welded onto it, dynabolt to the ground and then weld the bolts to the plate. I would do this at the back under the work bench (which had some random stuff covering it when I moved in) so I can remove it and cover it up again and noone will be the wiser when I move out.
You seem to already know what to do..

I use 10mm (get as big as you can get) square link chain from Bunnings. It's expensive and I'm sure you can buy it from somewhere else but it's the best in terms of security and portability. Never use any type of cable lock.

Very good idea to hide the angle grinder because that's the only way you'll get through big square link chain.

If you're good with a welder then you could make an array of security gadgets to bolt down. You could make a rack with a solid bar go through all of the frames and wheels that could clamp together with a massive lock.

Again, hide the angle grinder because really.. anything you make or use will simply deter a thief. If they're any good, they'll always get your stuff.

So like everyone else has said.. insurance. Make sure you take pictures of everything to make insurance claims a little easier too.

Install an IP camera (they're not that expensive, especially considering you have all that gear).. what's another $100 for a 1080p IP camera?!?

10mm-squarelink.jpg

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Spent half my student days in a Brunswick sharehouse. Bikes (only had a commuter then) went in the back room rather than in the garage. Just kept them out of sight when the garage door was open.

Our one break-in was only after small stuff (cameras, jewellery etc) which is pretty much opportunistic scumbags, rather than organised thieves who target things like bikes and tools.

I like your idea of drilling a plate into the ground actually.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Mate you should have insurance and check/ask how much the company's policy allows on MTB's, all policies are not created equal you must be truthful lest they will deny your claim at any turn.

Big chain with loop fixed to floor (dynabolts threads burred over) good idea of yours

A couple of dummy camera's

Calvin27

Eats Squid
- IP camera and sensor light. Should be no more than $100 all up. The IP camera and sensor light don't even need to be connected together. The IP camera also usually has a photo/alert function. Some also have two way voice. I use it for my dog when he decides he's gonna do something he's not supposed to!
- Try a really long pole and sit it up against the wall on the floor. Attach the bikes to it. This is a good renters approach - not locked down and requires no bolting etc. but good luck trying to lug a 3m pole anywhere. We had this in an apartment bike cage and to be honest I have no idea how they even got it in there in the first place! If they are gonna cut it then well they gonna cut it so not much you can do.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This stuff is the shizness

http://securityforbikes.com/

It's very expensive but probably as good as you can do in the circumstances.

I have the Torc ground anchor and 13mm chain. It's good enough for caravans, motor bikes etc (i.e. for insurance purposes in the UK).

My apartment block garage has been broken into a few times but this has kept my 2 high end bikes safe.

Last edited:

Ideate

I assume the problem with those is it is a rental. Not sure what the rules are on drilling out and bolting down stuff in a garage.
Just fill in the holes when you leave. Or ask the landlord. Usually they're ok with small stuff.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
:insert predictable pink poodle 'goat/watchdog' comment.

You haven't got a room inside you can dedicate to pushies? Even a spot in the conservatory, or ball room?
Theft is inevitable. There is even a chance with that kind of collection that it would be a home invasion for the whole loot rather than just an opportunistic grab and go. A dog, even a small one, will be a better deterrent than whatever locks and chains are employed. The NRMA put out stats on it as well.

As for your set up, get a section of thick round pipe and run a monster chain through it. At each end lock the set up into a box like National Parks use on their gates to stop 4WD enthusiasts from busting into excluded areas. Your best bet is to make the job too difficult.

If you wanted a bit of a laugh you could get one of those crippling rape alarms and stick it in there somewhere. A few girls I knew had them at uni and when set off in a confined space the pitch and volume is enough to make you mildly nautious. Lanyard goes over wrist, when pulled from the alarm...boom.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You could get a loft bed and keep the bikes in a rack under it in your bedroom.

Can you block off either entry? Something like a large shelf or bench behind the flimsy door or blocking the roller door in the down position may be of assistance and holding off the peeps.

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
It's probably obvious, but if you are going to keep them in the garage get in and out of your premises as quickly and discretely as possible. The longer you have the bikes "on display" around your place (faffing around getting them into/out of your car/ute etc. in the driveway or with the garage door open) the more likely it is that thieving scum will see them and then know where they are stored, making all the anti theft devices useful.

Out of sight out of mind.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Those big Mofo 10mm Square Link Hardened chains. Attached with hardened steel locks (I've got the Oxford ones). Attached to steel ring bolts chem-set into the floor. Angle Grinder is not is the same shed.

Sure, won't stop a determined thief, but I'm going on the idea they'll go for the easy to take stuff rather than the expensive gear.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Search for any local rigging places near you. Over this side of town we have places like ie. Nobles in Dandenong. They will have suitable chain available cut to any length to suit your needs.

Id go 13mm grade 70 or 100 chain minimum, then get the biggest lockwood padlock you can find (monoblock etc (fyi: 16mm is the thickest you can use with lockwoods monoblock). Then head down to your local electrical suppliers and get some heat shrink to fit the chain and cover the whole chain leaving a link exposed at each end. Much better value then anything you can buy premade from motorbike shops etc.

Travis.