Living/Riding in South-West Sydney?

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy all,

Presently I live in Sydney's North-Nor-West in Ryde but will be starting a new job in Camden (will be riding Mt Annan/Wylde after work every day :D) on the 16th of next month. As such, I am planning on renting (maybe buying later) a property in the South-West rather than making the 1 hour+ commute each day (despite having a company car).

Can anyone from the area recommend somewhere convenient (i.e. close to M5/M7 motorway), relatively safe (concerned about having my bikes stolen, not my personal safety) and where I can get a 2 bedroom townhouse/apartment for $3-400/week? I was thinking about Liverpool due to it being a little city centre of its own but have heard some disconcerting stories from my friends who work at the hospital there.

Oh, also I'm looking forward to checking out Kentlyn when I recover. WTB a tour guide!

tex72

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I would steer clear of Livo. & surrounds. Trust me you will be concerned for your safety personal or otherwise.

Maybe look at Horningsea park, Carnes Hill, Oran park, Harrington park. All nice newer areas, closer to everything you have listed. Lots of young families & plenty of greenspace. Not sure about the cost of rent though. Would be a good place for a first home buyer to invest with the 2nd airport & associated infrastructure being pumped into the area.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy all,

Presently I live in Sydney's North-Nor-West in Ryde but will be starting a new job in Camden (will be riding Mt Annan/Wylde after work every day :D) on the 16th of next month. As such, I am planning on renting (maybe buying later) a property in the South-West rather than making the 1 hour+ commute each day (despite having a company car).

Can anyone from the area recommend somewhere convenient (i.e. close to M5/M7 motorway), relatively safe (concerned about having my bikes stolen, not my personal safety) and where I can get a 2 bedroom townhouse/apartment for $3-400/week? I was thinking about Liverpool due to it being a little city centre of its own but have heard some disconcerting stories from my friends who work at the hospital there.

Oh, also I'm looking forward to checking out Kentlyn when I recover. WTB a tour guide!
I know the pain when it comes to commuting. I worked at North Ryde for some time and the driving nearly drove me mad.

The traffic around the Camden area is really bad these days. If you are working in Camden then try and not live to far away. Narellan Rd routinely ranks in the top 10 worst roads in NSW, it's a clusterf#ck. I know people who live in South Camden and it can take 25-30 minutes to get to Campbelltown. Camden Valley Way is being upgraded but it funnels into Narellan and gets congested.

No idea about rents out this way. I think that living here is no different to living anywhere else. All areas have crime, some more than others. Camden doesn't have a bad rep when it comes to crime.

No need for a tour guide check out the maps in my sig below.

Cheers,
CBG.

Last edited:

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I would steer clear of Livo. & surrounds. Trust me you will be concerned for your safety personal or otherwise.

Maybe look at Horningsea park, Carnes Hill, Oran park, Harrington park. All nice newer areas, closer to everything you have listed. Lots of young families & plenty of greenspace. Not sure about the cost of rent though. Would be a good place for a first home buyer to invest with the 2nd airport & associated infrastructure being pumped into the area.
Heard good things from some locals who live in the Oran/Harrington Park areas, only issue is that they're still a bit far from Sydney CBD too. Should have mentioned in the original post that I still want it within Sydney because I'll be travelling to visit the family in Ryde and the girlfriend in Marrickville on a weekly basis.

Will do some research into Horningsea Park/Carnes Hill though, looks right on the cake in terms of location... Thanks!

I know the pain when it comes to commuting. I worked at North Ryde for some time and the driving nearly drove me mad.

The traffic around the Camden area is really bad these days. If you are working in Camden then try and not live to far away. Narellan Rd routinely ranks in the top 10 worst roads in NSW, it's a clusterf#ck. I know people who live in South Camden and it can take 25-30 minutes to get to Campbelltown. Camden Valley Way is being upgraded but it funnels into Narellan and gets congested.
Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it), I regularly start work at 6 or 7am so will avoid the traffic. If I were in Liverpool (or that vicinity), I'd be travelling against the traffic both ways too!

Unfortunately looks like I may still hit traffic on Narellan Rd on the way home at 3-4pm.

Thanks for the heads up re; Kentlyn too! Still wouldn't mind having some company when checking it out ;)

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heard good things from some locals who live in the Oran/Harrington Park areas, only issue is that they're still a bit far from Sydney CBD too. Should have mentioned in the original post that I still want it within Sydney because I'll be travelling to visit the family in Ryde and the girlfriend in Marrickville on a weekly basis.

Will do some research into Horningsea Park/Carnes Hill though, looks right on the cake in terms of location... Thanks!

Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it), I regularly start work at 6 or 7am so will avoid the traffic. If I were in Liverpool (or that vicinity), I'd be travelling against the traffic both ways too!

Unfortunately looks like I may still hit traffic on Narellan Rd on the way home at 3-4pm.

Thanks for the heads up re; Kentlyn too! Still wouldn't mind having some company when checking it out ;)
The further you are away from the freeway the longer it will take to get to Ryde or Marrickville.

We visit relatives in the Ryde area and find it not a bad trip. Down the M5, up Fairford Rd, right onto the Hume Highway then left onto Centenary Drive all the way through to Ryde.

One of my brothers lived in Petersham and the trip in wasn't to bad outside of peak hour. It actually takes less time to get to the Ikea at Tempe than the Ikea at Rhodes.

CBG.

mtb1611

Seymour
I live in Mount Annan and work in Canley Vale. Narellan Rd gets feral if you're leaving the area after 7:30am - I leave home at 6:50am and am at work by 7:30am at the latest. In the afternoon it varies, the bottleneck currently being where traffic exits the M5 at Narellan Rd, banking up several km prior to the exit (I don't sit in it though....).

We built in Mt Annan 3 and a half years ago and love it. Lots of good road and mtb to be had out that way. Rents are quite high, with a 4 bedroom.2 bathroom.double garage property setting you back $550 a week.

I lived in Liverpool for 11 years prior to moving to Mt Annan. Livo is not somewhere I would choose to reside....