Little Things You Love

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I made a little progress. Which to be honest, was a lot easier than anticipated*.

Preparing the patient for surgery:
View attachment 397537

(*Did not expect this to have internal cable guides, but have them it did. I had been mentally preparing for another wrestling match with added tricks involving seal picks, dental floss and a vacuum like with my FM1001, but these just slipped right through in seconds... Was a little anticlimactic after all the time I spent putting it off. :oops:)

Truly though, the biggest contribution to building this thing today was clearing out a space in my shed to complete it. :rolleyes:

I'm going to install the headset cups and I'm done for the day. Cooler weather forecast for throughout the week (sub-30, brrr... :p), so might be able to tick off some bits and pieces on a few evenings at least.
What frame is that @beeb?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nice. Looking forward to seeing you use all of the travel on the plain you live on now...
Found out there's a hill with some trails nearish to work, and about the same travel time from home as what the You Yangs were to my old house. But this is also intended partly for high-country shuttle days, so should be able to tackle anything I'm capable of riding.

TL;DR: No, I'll never use all the travel. :p

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Found out there's a hill with some trails nearish to work, and about the same travel time from home as what the You Yangs were to my old house. But this is also intended partly for high-country shuttle days, so should be able to tackle anything I'm capable of riding.

TL;DR: No, I'll never use all the travel. :p
Ride with no spring? That should use all the travel. ;)

On a serious note is that the new Rock Shox superduper with HBO?

shiny

The bottom-out bumper would probably still thwart me!

Yep. I liked the prior version on my Sentinel, so thought I'd try the new one.
Nice. Like the feature set on the new Super Dupers but never been overly impressed with past RS products I have had although that’s now 8 years or so. Still doing an air vs coil experiment but if I end up coil it’s on the short list. :)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nice. Like the feature set on the new Super Dupers but never been overly impressed with past RS products I have had although that’s now 8 years or so. Still doing an air vs coil experiment but if I end up coil it’s on the short list. :)
If I can tell any difference between this and the last one I'll let you know - but I ran the last one with pretty minimal damping and just relied on the spring for support, so I likely won't tell much difference with this one (especially as I don't typically send gaps or big drops). It's the extra midstroke support, but in a really active and fluid feel over chatter that made me want coil again on this frame.

What I can say though, is that the HBO adds another hint of anno colour (purple) - which agitates me more than it should. An EXT Storia definitely has that playing in its favour. :p

shiny

If I can tell any difference between this and the last one I'll let you know - but I ran the last one with pretty minimal damping and just relied on the spring for support, so I likely won't tell much difference with this one (especially as I don't typically send gaps or big drops). It's the extra midstroke support, but in a really active and fluid feel over chatter that made me want coil again on this frame.

What I can say though, is that the HBO adds another hint of anno colour (purple) - which agitates me more than it should. An EXT Storia definitely has that playing in its favour. :p
Sharpie time. Cheapy coil I have came with a Progressive spring, might grab a standard spring and see how it feels but gives the bike a nice pedalling feel with minimal tweaks to damping.

Rorschach

LTIL: Supportive management.
2 years in a row I've had a really good payrise in lieu of the job I've been doing and with a promotion my current boss has been angling for with not dissimilar responsibilities to my current workload I should be in for more.
While this hopefully means I have more disposable income to throw at toys, it'll likely mean it'll get wiped out in tax or whatever the wife has her eye on, but the sentiment is there from work

Rorschach

It wont ever get wiped out in tax. You will still get more take home pay, varies depending on whether you are pushed into the next tax bracket or not. Best to look at offsetting the income using the typical legal methods...

Congratulations!
I jumped a tax bracket last year, so will get a bit more this year thankfully!

Put it straight into a 'skimming account' and tell your missus nothing ;)
I am eyeing up an eeb as my knees start to disintegrate. Sounds like a plan...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I am eyeing up an eeb as my knees start to disintegrate. Sounds like a plan...
A bloke a worked with back in Belfast when I was an apprentice... 30ys ago :rolleyes:, he had been skimming his pay rises and some OT for years to pay for golf trips and drinking weekends.
After his second kid was born, his missus sat him down and said "Harry I need a new car, I've enquired at the bank for a loan"
He sat and listened to his wife and they got a £7000 loan for a new VW while he was sitting with £9000 in his secret skimming account, he was fckn spewing :p

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It wont ever get wiped out in tax. You will still get more take home pay, varies depending on whether you are pushed into the next tax bracket or not. Best to look at offsetting the income using the typical legal methods...

Congratulations!

Funny thing, a long time ago I received a small pay rise and subsequently my take home pay went backwards. But I was still encumbered by a HECS debt at the time and sliding a bracket on that was different to the income tax scale. Fortunately this helped pay the debt of quicker and eventually I did have a good chunk more take home pay.