Little Things You Love

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
After picking up the brake bits went a bit further north for luncheon and happened upon my niece in the local shopping centre carpark. She did not see me. So I followed stealthily and when she unlocked the car I climbed into the passenger seat as she was getting in the driver's side.

I haven't heard screams like that for years.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
After picking up the brake bits went a bit further north for luncheon and happened upon my niece in the local shopping centre carpark. She did not see me. So I followed stealthily and when she unlocked the car I climbed into the passenger seat as she was getting in the driver's side.

So a ‘little thing you love’ is making someone think they’re about to be attacked/sexually assaulted (or worse) to the point they’re literally left screaming?

Calling that out as some supremely fucked up behaviour.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So a ‘little thing you love’ is making someone think they’re about to be attacked/sexually assaulted (or worse) to the point they’re literally left screaming?

She might have just feared for her cheeks when she saw her uncle?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis

Did it reignite your passion for serial killing?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I didn't think of that at the time but yeah it was dumb.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Fuck me, what kind of world are we creating where you can't have a joke with you family without people insinuating rape and violence.
Not to mention that while she is a tiny tiny lady she could still kick my arse but yes I should have thought about it.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Fuck me, what kind of world are we creating where you can't have a joke with you family without people insinuating rape and violence.
This isn't about cancelling anyone or taking a giant poo on Dales, There's just a lot more going on for women in terms of personal safety than most of us blokes realise.

It could have been someone with malicious intent getting in Dales' niece's car with her.
I read that many women are hyper-alert to their surroundings when walking, going to their parked cars etc, especially at night and/or when alone, because a significant number of women have been threatened/attacked/ mugged/sexually assaulted when out and about.

This interactive map of greater sydney is a bit of an eye-opener
click on each one of the orange 'bad' dots, and there's a reported incident that took place there

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I am not in anyway condoning the kinds of things some people do to women, but I thought that it is a refreshing change to see that DC has a close enough family in where he can get away with pulling stunts on other family members...i'm sure he wouldn't have done something like this if there was family history or something else going on in the background..
It's a shame that the media and the government has put the fear of god into every man, women and child for almost every activity and event that we do in our daily lives......I wish the world would just lighten the fuck up!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This isn't about cancelling anyone or taking a giant poo on Dales, There's just a lot more going on for women in terms of personal safety than most of us blokes realise.

It could have been someone with malicious intent getting in Dales' niece's car with her.
I read that many women are hyper-alert to their surroundings when walking, going to their parked cars etc, especially at night and/or when alone, because a significant number of women have been threatened/attacked/ mugged/sexually assaulted when out and about.
I 100% understand where you's are coming from but where does the world go from here.

Can't do a jump out an BOOO in case it represents a mugger, cant throw a surprise bday party in case it causes anxiety and panic attacks.

It was only funny 'Uncle Dales', not weird Uncle Dales who seen me in the car park and walked on without speaking in case he was labelled a dirty old pervert.

Shits gone mad :confused:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Great relationship and close family, that side at least. She went from a scream to hysterical laughter but I can see how it looks to some.

Nearly as much fun as 'borrowing' the spare car key and scabbing a lift somewhere and then moving the car after you split up to do different things.

I think I must be a bad person. I got blamed for all the pranks at work. Unfair targeting based on probable cause and guilt. None were dangerous though.

cammas

Seamstress
@Dales Cannon if it makes you feel any better I did a similar thing to my daughter last night, as I may have had one too many pints last night I asked my daughter to pick me up at train station as she had her head buried in her phone and her window down, I stuck my face and went BOO. She screamed and I laughed so did her boyfriend in the drivers seat and her daughter in the backseat.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I 100% understand where you's are coming from but where does the world go from here.

Can't do a jump out an BOOO in case it represents a mugger, cant throw a surprise bday party in case it causes anxiety and panic attacks.

It was only funny 'Uncle Dales', not weird Uncle Dales who seen me in the car park and walked on without speaking in case he was labelled a dirty old pervert.

Shits gone mad :confused:
The sky 'news' style "everyone's been cancelled, can't do anything any more, everyone gets triggered and should HTFU" isn't really a useful response.

For most of us, it's as you were. I think we can be a bit more aware that shit has gone sideways for some, in a very real sense.

IMO, Dales didn't finish the story that it ended with his Niece laughing ( and maybe a few good shoulder punches to Uncle Dales), and to a degree, I think that's why he got called on it. Also, all we had were the words to go on, not the voice tonality, body language and context.

Shit Has gone mad. But there is also a LOT of fucked up shit going on, so it's no wonder people are a bit jumpy, IMO.

And yes, the media is guilty of some needless beat-ups to try to make us fearful.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
/\ /\ /\ This. /\ /\ /\

It's fucking staggering how bad it's getting, even if you only take the conservative 1 in 5 statistics:

The hardest thing to wrap your head from a blokes point of view, is it's not something women are likely to discuss with you. There's a good chance several friends/families have been the victim of sexual assault or abuse, and you just don't know about it. I used to think it was mostly a media beat-up until I sat down and asked some female friends and family members what their experiences have been and the responses were surprising in their frequency and alarming in the severity of several of them (Bear in mind I only asked about 4 of them). Getting flashed seemed to be especially common when they were teens (by weird old dudes in overcoats), getting groped as teens/adults (on public transport or in the workplace) was also commonplace, a couple of them had been stalked home from the train by total strangers (ie: different men on different occasions), one had been grabbed and had a man try to assault them (at night, walking home from a night out but they were not intoxicated luckily) - she had managed to escape and run away. There was also another young woman I knew who sadly had been raped, and more than once at that. First time during a toxic relationship, then by the same bloke several times after leaving him. She shacked up with another bloke who was the big burly "protector" type afterwards but unfortunately he turned out to be a domestic violence-committing piece of shit who beat her when he didn't get his way on trivial things. I also remember that my sister had walked down the same stretch of road as Jill Meagher before Meagher was taken, raped and murdered. My sister had gone through only about 10 minutes earlier, and I still remember my sister talking about it later - much like Jill Meagher, my sister had turned down the offer from a friend to walk to the train station or home with her assuming she’d be safe on her own. She was annoyed with herself for not taking her friend up on the offer, but also so angry that she even has to consider it.

Obviously @Dales Cannon hasn't set out to do anything malicious (aside from the obvious prank), and I was probably a bit blunt with my phrasing given I couldn't sleep and it was 2:30 in the morning - to his credit he's acknowledged it possibly wasn't the best idea with the benefit of hindsight.

(@ozzybmx) I'm all for a 'jump scare' with mates or family, and would suggest just sneaking up behind and yelling "boo!" or rapping your knuckles on the window of the car would be fine as you're basically announcing yourself and it's only a momentary thing where they get startled and then all's good when they spot you. I love a prank generally, but just thought that climbing into the car was a step too far and that the associated fear would/could be too real or too much until she realised what was going on. Fight or flight is a weird thing and you never know how people are going to react. Life goes on, but yeah...

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am outside the circle of bad shit happening, at least for now. I didn't think about it even for a second as the opportunity was just too great to pass up. Had it been a close friend, male or female, same thing would have been done but I really do see the difference. The carpark was packed so who knows what others thought. Not that I care about that anyway.

I was talking with my BIL today about other stuff, and he was aware of the joke since it has been shared widely around family and friends, and he mentioned a mutual friend in the same area was subject to a home invasion earlier in the week so that was probably in their minds and I was ignorant of this other episode.

I am aware of the continued poor treatment of women and it is a piss poor situation where a woman cannot feel safe in any environment.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
15 years ago I’m sitting at a regional servo after way too little sleep one early morning. Work mate no1 is in my front passenger seat. Work mate no2, who wasn’t going to the same place as us but was a creature of habit, had stopped at the same servo and did a dales to us getting in the backseat saying “give me all your money”.

Work mate no1 pissed himself. Literally. Had to go change.

Many many laughs. Did scare the fuck out of me too initially so a chick would have an absolute panic.

I’m all for practical jokes. In a modern world we need to be conscious of what goes on for women, half the women I know have been assaulted or sexually assaulted. It’s a shit world for them. It’s for this reason my 12yo step daughter is a very skilled at Taekwondo, she’s already given her 11 yo cousin a concussion when he went too far.