Little Things You Love

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I love the whole “roadies don’t need discs” thing. It’s just so weird!

My roadie doesn’t “need” discs either, especially at my fitness/skill lever - but good god damn they’re nice to have! Rim brakes suck so hard…

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The fact that Egan Bernal still races with rim brakes...
Disc brakes on road bikes are simply unecessary.

View attachment 389297
Ya see, when they came out on road bikes, I had the same opinion. And then I tried my mates roadie, and then I still had the same opinion. And then I went home and rode my rim brake roadie as my MTB was out of action, and I nearly rode into a car at the lights.

And then after that, Shimano got their shit together and if I ever buy a new roadie, it'll have discs.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My roadie performs perfectly well with rim brakes.
However. I'd probably have a different opinion if;
a) wasn't a featherweight
b) ran nice carbon rims

LTIL
My cheap old roadie is lighter than (and rides just as well) a very expensive mid/high range 2022 road bike.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ya see, when they came out on road bikes, I had the same opinion. And then I tried my mates roadie, and then I still had the same opinion. And then I went home and rode my rim brake roadie as my MTB was out of action, and I nearly rode into a car at the lights.

And then after that, Shimano got their shit together and if I ever buy a new roadie, it'll have discs.
Rim brakes ARE disc brakes. And shit.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The fact that Gianni Bugno still races rim brakes
Disc brakes on road bikes are totally unecessary
As are gravel bikes...
...and a heap of other shit.View attachment 389304
-Gianni Bugno is retired, and what a former pro may prefer is relevant to 95% of other cyclists?
-Your opinion is noted. No one is forcing you to buy a disc brake roadie...ride what you want. However, from a design perspective, the move to disc brakes has freed up a number of constraints including rim width
-Gravel bikes is a whole other story....;)

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Gianni Bugno is retired, and what a former pro may prefer is relevant to 95% of other cyclists?

Sorry. I thought I was being ironic? Obviously not. A bit like Alanis Morissette and her completely non ironic lyrics to her song 'Ironic'.

No one is forcing you to buy a disc brake roadie...ride what you want.

Very true. But they are forcing me to vote in another pissing contest in a couple of weeks.
Roadies don't need anywhere near the same braking power as an MTB and while they'll all weighing their scrotum hair to save a nano-gram, they are adding a shit load in the form of calipers, rotors, hydro levers, hydraulic cables. Not to mention the added gyroscopic effect (re: stress) on the hubs. Next time you have a bike in the stand, spin the rear wheel as hard as you can and try to stop it at the hub and then the rim. See which you have more luck with?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I think I've made an impression of the good kind in the four months I've been at my new work. Getting my timesheet signed off today, second boss who I don't normally work under casually asked if I'd be interested in shifting to a different area. Expanding a tiny bit, he said, "pretty high-tech & intricate mouldings, which we think are right up your alley". I'll take that! :D

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Gianni Bugno is retired, and what a former pro may prefer is relevant to 95% of other cyclists?

Sorry. I thought I was being ironic? Obviously not. A bit like Alanis Morissette and her completely non ironic lyrics to her song 'Ironic'.

No one is forcing you to buy a disc brake roadie...ride what you want.

Very true. But they are forcing me to vote in another pissing contest in a couple of weeks.
Roadies don't need anywhere near the same braking power as an MTB and while they'll all weighing their scrotum hair to save a nano-gram, they are adding a shit load in the form of calipers, rotors, hydro levers, hydraulic cables. Not to mention the added gyroscopic effect (re: stress) on the hubs. Next time you have a bike in the stand, spin the rear wheel as hard as you can and try to stop it at the hub and then the rim. See which you have more luck with?
Hmmmmm, no fish in the river today? Coz I reckon you'd know they're not struggling to get down to the UCI minimum weight........ ;)