Little Things You Love

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
LTIusedtoL = when baking day wasn't about bread
Oh but it can be...a lot of oil goes into bread and butter spreads over it. Should we get together for a bake Off? Bread...scones...cup cakes...Brownies?

What about using a creaming gun to ensure a nicely puffed dollop of cream? I hear you can get those nitrogen bulbs delivered 24/7 on the busy baking districts.

How good? Super. I have been baking our own bread for about 35 years. Now the boys have left home just one day per week. But a great day indeed. Yvonne has even been know to schedule a "work from home day" on baking day!

Yes!!!

moorey

call me Mia
Are they on hard tails with drop bars?
NO! You have to buy a very specific bike to ride on gravel.

Seriously though…gravel is the absolute worse material to ride on. There’s nothing redeeming about it. At best, it’s a thing to get to/from, or link up MTB trails.
Why?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
NO! You have to buy a very specific bike to ride on gravel.

Seriously though…gravel is the absolute worse material to ride on. There’s nothing redeeming about it. At best, it’s a thing to get to/from, or link up MTB trails.
Why?
Ever considered a bike trip to wa?

Worst of both worlds.
I get it’s just me, but seriously….gravel utterly sucks to ride on.
You are not alone, gravel is fucked.

Try riding beside railway tracks, gravel is wonderful after ballast.
Try riding along train tracks...rocks and sleepers = horrific. There used to be a bunch of abandoned train line around here to ride on. So much yuck.

moorey

call me Mia
Aaaannnnddd (Auscycling email coming up with all the goods) …..

View attachment 388006
I’ve just flung them a pissed off email. MTB didn’t rate a mention at all in the monthly newsletter. Not even the Oceania champs from 2 weeks ago.
Gravity events sell out in minutes, no thanks their absolutely pathetic entry system that crashes with more than 3 people online.
All the promises of one body to rule them all went as well as we knew it would. Luckily the membership fees didn’t skyrocket or anything….

Binaural

Eats Squid
Gravel is just a joyless slog on a road bike, at least in the parts of the world I've ridden. In Germany/Austria I did a lot of long backcountry trips in the alps etc., and many of the marked "cycle ways" are gravelled rather than paved. It's slow, you can't corner too hard, rocks ping off your frame all the time, and there's usually neither steep ups or downs since the gravel would shift if there were. So it is a constant source of wonder to me that gravel bikes remain a thing. I can sort of see the point if you live in the country with a mix of graded dirt roads and tarmac on a daily basis, but I've never had too many problems riding a normal road bike on those either.

Anyway, this is the LTIL thread, so I'll shut up now :)

moorey

call me Mia
Gravel is just a joyless slog on a road bike, at least in the parts of the world I've ridden. In Germany/Austria I did a lot of long backcountry trips in the alps etc., and many of the marked "cycle ways" are gravelled rather than paved. It's slow, you can't corner too hard, rocks ping off your frame all the time, and there's usually neither steep ups or downs since the gravel would shift if there were. So it is a constant source of wonder to me that gravel bikes remain a thing. I can sort of see the point if you live in the country with a mix of graded dirt roads and tarmac on a daily basis, but I've never had too many problems riding a normal road bike on those either.

Anyway, this is the LTIL thread, so I'll shut up now :)
I understand gravel as an alternative to MTB if you don’t have access to trails, and an alternative to road…in that roads are an evil place to ride.
I don’t understand it as a stand alone goal and something people seek out.
I also know that it doesn’t matter that I don’t understand. I purposely ride oranges. My argument is invalid.

Last edited:

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Gravel can work for me as I back onto a rail trail and have a heap of bushland with access tracks through it close by - good for turning off the brain and going for a pedal straight from the door. Good for a chill out. I can also do a 'gravel' ride to the pub with mates. Not sure I'd take the effort to pack for a trip to specifically go for a gravel ride - may as well go for a MTB ride at that point.