Little Things You Love

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Metal additive manufacturing is so cool in concept but a total PITA in the practice. That's a good write up because it shows that the 'printing' part of things is the easy part. Even so, I don't think it mentioned the fact that the parts themselves shrink and deform as part of the annealing process, so you often need complicated support structures to stop distortion during heat-treat. These then need to be removed with a lot of manual labour.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

moorey

call me Mia
View attachment 378389

View attachment 378390

Ex-Kerry Packer Jaguar XJS twin-turbo V12 fetches surprising result at auction | Drive

It went for $217,000 which is a 'staggering' amount according to the reporter -

Eh? That's about the price of a boring fancy SUV like a BMW X7 or an Audi SQ7.
Just look at the damn thing!!!
*It's tuned to 1200Bhp as well (although given the size of the engine, that'll probably just get it moving...)
That’s eHeckler GX build money.

Jpez

Down on the left!
LTIH.first. Thieving scum. At some point over the last couple of days someone pinched 4 ratchet straps from the back of my ute. I mean wtf..

LTIL. the ratchet straps we’re farked. The ratchet teeth were so worn they were almost unusable. They’d get stuck on and I’d have to use a boot to loosen it .only I could loosen them. My offsider wouldn’t even try and would just “buy some more dickhead” I’d been meaning to buy some new ones for a while but couldn’t find the brand I particularly like. So the knobheads basically stole something that is useless. They also didn’t realise that there was an under tray drawer (unlocked-yes. Fuckwit I’ll take that) that contained a nearly new 6ft stabila level, 1200 stabila level and a 1200 long Festool track and various other stealable items.

BWAHAHAHAAAABAHAAA !!! Fuckers!!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
View attachment 378389

View attachment 378390

Ex-Kerry Packer Jaguar XJS twin-turbo V12 fetches surprising result at auction | Drive

*It's tuned to 1200Bhp as well (although given the size of the engine, that'll probably just get it moving...)
That is hilariously f***ing stupid. I love it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
View attachment 378389

View attachment 378390

It's probably staggering because Packer flogged around a Race track, molested it, he hasn't owned it for years and someone tried to kill it with fire. Plus it was also up against some true Aussie history with Seton's Falcon and that pristine Group A

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It's probably staggering because Packer flogged around a Race track, molested it, he hasn't owned it for years and someone tried to kill it with fire. Plus it was also up against some true Aussie history with Seton's Falcon and that pristine Group A
And still it survived. That's craftsmanship for you!

The other two are just fancy versions of your da's old motor.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
And still it survived. That's craftsmanship for you!

The other two are just fancy versions of your da's old motor.
No country of birth bias there, noooo I assume
The original car designed by a committee who never met to discuss their parts in the whole. The V12 was a backward step in engine design compared to the in line 6s. I like watching a few of these around Lakeside. Big thunderous lumps. That get overtaken by minis.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The original car designed by a committee who never met to discuss their parts in the whole. The V12 was a backward step in engine design compared to the in line 6s. I like watching a few of these around Lakeside. Big thunderous lumps. That get overtaken by minis.
In line sixes are my favourite engine format - they're balanced and sound glorious to me.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So what. It's a work of art.
If it's performance and handling you're after then you need look no further than your average modern hot-hatch but if you want to turn heads the XJ-S is a fantastic contender