Little Things You Love

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Some years ago at adult schoolies on the Gold Coast (indy) they ran mustangs and corvettes around the track between races. Driven by up and coming drivers etc. Watching those slide around even though they weren't racing was much more enjoyable than the procession of Indy cars whose drivers thought an apex was part of a rotary engine and a racing line was a really quick pencil sketch.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Some years ago at adult schoolies on the Gold Coast (indy) they ran mustangs and corvettes around the track between races. Driven by up and coming drivers etc. Watching those slide around even though they weren't racing was much more enjoyable than the procession of Indy cars whose drivers thought an apex was part of a rotary engine and a racing line was a really quick pencil sketch.
Back at the 2009 Clipsal 500 there was a kind of track display with all kinds of unobtanium up to and including a Veyron. Given how expensive most of the stuff was and how little run off the Adelaide circuit has a lot of cars were pretty tentative but several weren't - a 997 GT2 had the hammer down everywhere and a Koenigsegg CCR got a little too enthusiastic and spun into a wall near where I was standing.

Minlak

custom titis
Back at the 2009 Clipsal 500 there was a kind of track display with all kinds of unobtanium up to and including a Veyron. Given how expensive most of the stuff was and how little run off the Adelaide circuit has a lot of cars were pretty tentative but several weren't - a 997 GT2 had the hammer down everywhere and a Koenigsegg CCR got a little too enthusiastic and spun into a wall near where I was standing.
Assuming if you can afford said cars the costs are meh any but still this is the service on a Veyron that is US dollars too of course.

There are some very good reasons for such a high maintenance cost. Bugatti recommends all fluids have to be changed each year, that alone costs $25,000. Bugatti also advises all Veyron owners to change the tires once every couple of years and a fresh new set which costs a heart-wrenching $38,000. The wheels have to be replaced every 10,000 miles. The replacement of the wheels will set you back $50,000. All that means that you will have a six-figure maintenance after just couple of years of ownership

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Spending 25% of its bluebook on "upgrades" is just self indulgent wank. You wouldn't fit minions to a road bike so you could take it to rampage, would you? Sure the improved grip would make it safer, and it'd look trick, but it'd still be a waste of time.
Do you advocate not maintaining vehicles?

If I was to replace OEM dampers with OEM dampers it’d be the same cost.

You exist here on a MTB forum & are chastising people for spending $1k on car suspension

I’m entertained with how this is riling you up! I think I’m going on eBay now to buy some carbon fibre stick on parts.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Assuming if you can afford said cars the costs are meh any but still this is the service on a Veyron that is US dollars too of course.

There are some very good reasons for such a high maintenance cost. Bugatti recommends all fluids have to be changed each year, that alone costs $25,000. Bugatti also advises all Veyron owners to change the tires once every couple of years and a fresh new set which costs a heart-wrenching $38,000. The wheels have to be replaced every 10,000 miles. The replacement of the wheels will set you back $50,000. All that means that you will have a six-figure maintenance after just couple of years of ownership
God. Damn.

Having said that, the Veyron is less a car and more a surface based Concorde fuck you physics engineering exercise that was meant to be basically impossible given the parameters the head of the project dictated. Still crazy but.

Minlak

custom titis
God. Damn.

Having said that, the Veyron is less a car and more a surface based Concorde fuck you physics engineering exercise that was meant to be basically impossible given the parameters the head of the project dictated. Still crazy but.
This is even better

At Top Speed:- The Bugatti Veyron's tires will last 15 minutes. However, it will run out of fuel in 12

I watched a service on one of these super car style things on YouTube was essentially an engine drop to change the fluids

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Do you advocate not maintaining vehicles?

If I was to replace OEM dampers with OEM dampers it’d be the same cost.

You exist here on a MTB forum & are chastising people for spending $1k on car suspension

I’m entertained with how this is riling you up! I think I’m going on eBay now to buy some carbon fibre stick on parts.
Yeah, I don't understand whacking parts on a bike to try to turn a XC into a DH slayer, either.

Not riled up, just don't understand the point of justifying pointless upgrades by claiming you're converting hairdresser's purse into a rockstars coke straw, or a hand grenade into a airbag. Maintain by all means but diminishing returns is a thing, and 25% of value is well past the vanishing point.

Just say, "yeah I know, pointless but I can..." And leave it at that. It's a polo, it will never handle.

With 1/4 million on the clock, you'd be better off swapping it for I9 hydra front hub end caps plus cashbthei way, and investing in a hatch that was designed to actually handle, like a Hyundai.

Been so long, but it's like falling off a bike...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A Polo touched you when you were a child, didn’t it?
There is a polo gti that does the sprints. It is bloody quick. Owner describes it as: "Almost stock except for the coilovers, bigger turbo and intercooler, ecu and massive brakes and slick tyres." Anyway what do I know, I have a dirty Toyota 4wd and dropped >10% of purchase price on suspenders. Whatever floats your boat. This thread has been educational as I didn't know ADRs are written around maximum performance, I foolishly thought they were just minimum standards for safety.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had this lifting goal in mind for months now. 5 years ago had my first gym date with my wife as i processed the unexpected cancer diagnosis. Later got told even money chance of making 5 years. 140kg bench can kiss my shiny metal ass. It didnt want to go up but it did.

Now off to watch my kid play touch footie and take them riding this weekend

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had this lifting goal in mind for months now. 5 years ago had my first gym date with my wife as i processed the unexpected cancer diagnosis. Later got told even money chance of making 5 years. 140kg bench can kiss my shiny metal ass. It didnt want to go up but it did.

Now off to watch my kid play touch footie and take them riding this weekend
Thread back on track. Well done!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice work. I managed a few reps of 100kg a couple of months ago and the smugness level afterwards could've powered a television.
High volume benching has become my happy place. At my age my back need to be measured with squats and deads but bench i go until i can't and its great.