Little Things You Love

safreek

So this is your dog mate?
I only wish I was that young. He is a friend of my partner. He is stuck in QLD for work and can't come back. His girlfriend works at the hospital so isn't home all the time. Due to the dog being vulnerable at those times we have decided it's best for her to do sleep overs.
I have already fallen in love with her and any c*** would want to be a super hard mofo to take her from me.
I'm old enough to be Josh's grandpa. Sad face

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Dunno about strength per say, but it could be that he didn't think of it as anything out of the ordinary. Just not wired that way.
Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Mentally more capable of dealing with it, I reckon my kids would have exhausted themselves panicking and crying. He might have been more responsive to his surroundings and his immediate needs, ie cold, thirsty, etc... Stuff like that. Certainly no expert, just guessing. Either way, amazed he's OK.

moorey

call me Mia
Dunno about strength per say, but it could be that he didn't think of it as anything out of the ordinary. Just not wired that way.
Sounds familiar, and I know this is your wheelhouse.
2 or 3 times, our closest neighbours foster child (maybe 11yo, with severe autism) wandered off in the middle of winter in just trackie pants, t-shirt and bare feet. It’s hundreds of acres of thick trees, deep gullies and tall bracken here. Huge searches were mounted, hundreds of volunteers as well as SES, fire and police all night with spotlights. Foster dad was clear that he wouldn’t be hiding, but wouldn’t come out if someone was close, and would likely be wandering down hill to the lowest ground he could find, and just sitting in a quiet spot.
Always took at least 12h to find him, he must have been freezing, but I can almost guarantee he’d sit there until he died of hunger or exposure. When found, he always happily took the persons hand and walked back with them showing no sign of discomfort or emotion.
Granted, it was always only something like 12-15h, but yes, wired differently as you say.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Mentally more capable of dealing with it, I reckon my kids would have exhausted themselves panicking and crying. He might have been more responsive to his surroundings and his immediate needs, ie cold, thirsty, etc... Stuff like that. Certainly no expert, just guessing. Either way, amazed he's OK.
You're on the right track, and the words I used weren't as descriptive as they could've been. This little champ was probably totally oblivious to the environment around him. Hungry and thirsty maybe, but he had a limitless adventure park in front of him and was focussed on all the fun stuff. When the sun went down and he couldn't see anything, his body clock shut his eyes and he had a sleep. There's a very high chance that he has had food of some description and the police chopper found him sitting in a puddle having a drink. When he was hungry he would've put something in his mouth and chewed, if it wasn't nice it would've come straight back out.

Please don't take this as me playing down what this champ has gone through, 3 days is a long time to be in the bush without support. And he may well have been aware that mum and dad weren't around, but with so many things to explore there were plenty of distractions. I'm part of the support group for a family with a 9yo non-vebal boy and when he decides on something, his focus is lazer like, nothing will stop him.

Plus I'm just a random bloke on the internet making assumptions about a kid's level of autism, every single case has it's own quirks.

Oh, and my kids at that age would've been useless too.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is the story about lil Sampa, the dog I put on the pet thread that got stolen.
The true story is the police got suspicious of the fella because he was recently released from prison and when he told them he paid 800 for her.
Apparently the only thing he would pay that sort of money for is drugs. Got busted because parole officer visits were cancelled and police were doing home checks.
Lil Sampa is laying beside me right now
Was the dog held hostage for owed money?