Little Things You Hate

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Fark, Melrose is looking like ideal conditions, unfortunately a bigger drive is off the cards as we're visiting friends, kids already shitty about a 10 hour trip.
Looks like a wet Easter for all on the Southern end. Bit wetter in Vic and 90% usually means you are getting some.

jgdfdje.jpg

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1pm and its sunny, hasnt rained in a couple of days. I get that the grounds might still be drying out but surely council knows now if they need to stay closed instead of making us wait for 3pm, making plans both ways for footy training to be on or off.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A few of us were talking about unlawful electric moto access on @Stredda 's new ebike thread.

Mountain biker injured in crash with electric motorbike on one-way Sunshine Coast trail

Queensland authorities are investigating after a mountain bike rider was injured in a collision with a motorcyclist on a one-way trail on the Sunshine Coast. Beth Fairley was riding at Tewantin when she slammed into an off-road electric motorcyclist coming up the trail.
I was about to post this story. Where's my pitchfork!?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't want to jump in on @Stredda 's thread about his e bike with this as I felt the discussion had moved pretty far from it's original premise already. We were riding in Western Colorado and Moab, Utah last September where I saw quite a few signs like the one below. I asked in a Moab bike shop what the deal was and the response's (from some staff and customers) was along the lines mentioned in @Stredda 's thread.
Yes, the small percentage of outlaws riding illeagally are hard to catch but the penalties are hefty when they do. Usually includes the loss of the bike they are on plus a shit ton of cash.
No, I am not against e bikes; never ridden one. Just can see this behavior has doing nothing to help gain more access and funds.
20220914_092648 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I didn't want to jump in on @Stredda 's thread about his e bike with this as I felt the discussion had moved pretty far from it's original premise already. We were riding in Western Colorado and Moab, Utah last September where I saw quite a few signs like the one below. I asked in a Moab bike shop what the deal was and the response's (from some staff and customers) was along the lines mentioned in @Stredda 's thread.
Yes, the small percentage of outlaws riding illeagally are hard to catch but the penalties are hefty when they do. Usually includes the loss of the bike they are on plus a shit ton of cash.
No, I am not against e bikes; never ridden one. Just can see this behavior has doing nothing to help gain more access and funds.
View attachment 398698
I've seen the situation over in the US and it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction and usually comes from two groups.

1: An entity in a land access authority position who has a policy of no motorised vehicles, and it's a lot of work to change that policy so it is much easier to bang a few No Ebikes stickers about. The ones that may have an actual concern aren't awae of the differences in Ebike categories and once again it's put in the two hard basket.r

2: The anti-Ebike people in the MTB community who use the excuse of trail access as a way to push their own preconceived perceptions.

My role over the past 10 years has been with development of MTB trails in Tasmania, I've been heavily involved with the Wild Mersey, Penguin, Dial Range and West Coast trails, so I do know a thing or two about getting trail access. I deal with Parks and Wildlife on a weekly basis. I have also yet to see any pushback due to Ebikes specifically it's more around mountain bikes in general.
Once again, ensuring that stakeholder are properly educated that class 1 Ebikes don't do any more damage to the trails than normal bikes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen the situation over in the US and it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction and usually comes from two groups.

1: An entity in a land access authority position who has a policy of no motorised vehicles, and it's a lot of work to change that policy so it is much easier to bang a few No Ebikes stickers about. The ones that may have an actual concern aren't awae of the differences in Ebike categories and once again it's put in the two hard basket.r

2: The anti-Ebike people in the MTB community who use the excuse of trail access as a way to push their own preconceived perceptions.

My role over the past 10 years has been with development of MTB trails in Tasmania, I've been heavily involved with the Wild Mersey, Penguin, Dial Range and West Coast trails, so I do know a thing or two about getting trail access. I deal with Parks and Wildlife on a weekly basis. I have also yet to see any pushback due to Ebikes specifically it's more around mountain bikes in general.
Once again, ensuring that stakeholder are properly educated that class 1 Ebikes don't do any more damage to the trails than normal bikes.
E-Bikes definitely add to more trail wear, pretty much everyone I know that's bought one has gone from 10~20k rides to 20~50k rides and their rides are more frequent. I've seen a few here and they get to higher speeds going downhill and then skid everywhere to wash off speed.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
E-Bikes definitely add to more trail wear, pretty much everyone I know that's bought one has gone from 10~20k rides to 20~50k rides and their rides are more frequent. I've seen a few here and they get to higher speeds going downhill and then skid everywhere to wash off speed.
That's a pretty flawed argument.
Yes, more riding means more wear, but could also say that the huge uptake of mountain biking as a whole has caused more wear and tear on the trails. Do we limit to how many riders can ride each trail and that you can only ride once a week? E-mountain bike sales are less that 20% of MTB sales so the wear and tear is by far coming from the non-Ebikes.
Ebikes get no more speed going downhill than a normal bike and skidding into corners has been a problem with riders well before Ebikes were a thing.

I've heard all the thinly researched arguments against Ebikes and I haven't seen one that stacks up with any real world evidence.

"They are heavier so do more damage" There's far more difference in the weight of the rider than the bike.
"They cut switchbacks" Cutting switchbacks has been an issue well before Ebikes existed.
"They are new to MTB and don't know how to respect the trails and other users" That could be said for anyone new to mountain biking and a large majority have been mountain biking for years.
"The speed differences are too much between Ebike to non Ebikes" The speed difference between a elite rider and an unfit beginner is far larger.
"They can ride farther so cause more wear" So we start restricting to how far people can ride now? :rolleyes:
Like anything, it comes down to education, whether it be a code of conduct placed at trail heads, trail etiquette pushed in MTB media and clubs and calling out actions if it is seen, and that goes for all riders, regardless of what they ride.