Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've never caught one, but I've seen a lot of them in the water while fishing, they love cruising in the small breaks and the gutters on the beach. Used to see a bloke same time every year that had an electric wire rope winch and chair bolted to a car trailer, and would send the bait out with a drone. He would make a ton of noise, so I would always move up the beach a bit more, then his offsiders would come up to me half tanked to see what I had caught and trip all over my fishing gear. It was quite amusing when they would somersault on the sand like a clown and spill all their beverage.

These guys were doing the science.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, Linkedin is an awkward one, it can be a bit of a "look at me, look at me" wank fest, especially when you know how shit someone is and their profile reads like they are a superstar. Not unlike a lot of resume's really...You can get by without it, and anyone who knows what they are looking at should be able to get everything they need off your Cover Letter.
LinkedIn is more like FB for business people compared to what it was once upon a time.

Full of faff with 'struggles', 'triumphs against all odds' and really insta-worthy nice sounding motivational sayings about whatever is the new business flavour of the month.

I would only go Premium for a short time if looking for work and other leads had dried up.

If this is true we are well and truly doomed, DOOMED !!!

"At least half of the fresh-cut flowers sold in Australia are imported and up to 10 million roses are flown into the country for Valentine's Day."

1676329731611.png

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
If this is true we are well and truly doomed, DOOMED !!!

"At least half of the fresh-cut flowers sold in Australia are imported and up to 10 million roses are flown into the country for Valentine's Day."

View attachment 397024
Thankfully my wife has some good sense and doesn't like bought flowers as they are just a waste of money.

cammas

Seamstress
I brought Mrs. Cammas flowers when first started dating and she said "what's the use they're going to die"

A couple months later I went to the florist and brought a dried arrangement, when I gave them to her I said "Here you go, these are dead already"

She was able to keep them for years, until the point they fell apart during one of our moves.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Is that 2 metres? Not small, what on earth were they fishing for in the harbour?

PS fishing in the harbour is illegal and will give you heavy metal poisoning.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Only on commercial fishing, and checking the stomach contents for Caddick.

1676361016082.png

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wow, that’s really sad isn’t it. Do you know what the source of the dioxin and heavy metals was ie natural sources, dredging or some industrial water releases?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Is that 2 metres? Not small, what on earth were they fishing for in the harbour?

Approx 2.5 & 3m, people fishing there all the time...and keeping it :eek:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I once went to the park in the middle of the night and picked all the popped that were there. I took them to a woman immediately. Despite being woken in the middle of the night she was very excited by this token of my interest in her. She kept those flowers in a vase until they wilted, died, rotted, stained the kitchen bench top, and the water in the vase evaporated. There was a similar incident with some balloons. Then eventually I saw the signs of crazy and it was time to move on.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Wow, that’s really sad isn’t it. Do you know what the source of the dioxin and heavy metals was ie natural sources, dredging or some industrial water releases?
The dioxin mostly came from the former Union Carbide site on the Rhodes Peninsula. And the fun fact is that all of the contaminated soil is still there...sealed up in clay cells under carpark and parkland. I worked there for a time in the early 90s during the cleanup. Further up Homebush Bay from Union Carbide was both the ICI chemical refinery and the Berger paint factory. And the Clyde Oil Refinery was a little further up river...

Not to mention numerous other chemical and industrial facilities sprinkled all around the harbour foreshores and tributaries. It's easy to forget that a century ago much of Sydney Harbour was basically a sewer surrounded by working class people and the urban poor. So nobody cares much when more shit fell in it...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Only on commercial fishing, and checking the stomach contents for Caddick.

View attachment 397043
Well there you go. As long as you don't sell the fish, who cares about heavy metals and dioxins?

There used to be three refineries on the harbour, plus two coal gasification plants, plus Union carbide, ICI and all the rest. The Parramatta river has certainly improved but I'm sure that the cockroach archeologists of the future will find a nice fat layer of contaminated sandstone in a few million years time.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well there you go. As long as you don't sell the fish, who cares about heavy metals and dioxins?

There used to be three refineries on the harbour, plus two coal gasification plants, plus Union carbide, ICI and all the rest. The Parramatta river has certainly improved but I'm sure that the cockroach archeologists of the future will find a nice fat layer of contaminated sandstone in a few million years time.

I wouldn't even eat anything out of the Brisbane River, there are all types of industrial runoff that industry keeps quiet about.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The dioxin mostly came from the former Union Carbide site on the Rhodes Peninsula. And the fun fact is that all of the contaminated soil is still there...sealed up in clay cells under carpark and parkland. I worked there for a time in the early 90s during the cleanup. Further up Homebush Bay from Union Carbide was both the ICI chemical refinery and the Berger paint factory. And the Clyde Oil Refinery was a little further up river...

Not to mention numerous other chemical and industrial facilities sprinkled all around the harbour foreshores and tributaries. It's easy to forget that a century ago much of Sydney Harbour was basically a sewer surrounded by working class people and the urban poor. So nobody cares much when more shit fell in it...
The Derwent River in Hobart is no better.

All these people that keep going on about "how it was so much better in the old days" seem to forget about all the toxic industries just dumping their shit into the seas and rivers, all the local tips that were built on creeks and waterways, lead in fuel and paint, coal and wood smoke pollution choking the towns and cities. Sure, it's not perfect now but if we keep going the way industry was going back in the 50's to the 70's we would be absolutely fooked now. Ah the old rose tinted glasses.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!

We did a survey job on the river at Homebush Bay, soil smelt really bad and a few of the guys came out with weird skin rashes

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The Derwent River in Hobart is no better.

All these people that keep going on about "how it was so much better in the old days" seem to forget about all the toxic industries just dumping their shit into the seas and rivers, all the local tips that were built on creeks and waterways, lead in fuel and paint, coal and wood smoke pollution choking the towns and cities. Sure, it's not perfect now but if we keep going the way industry was going back in the 50's to the 70's we would be absolutely fooked now. Ah the old rose tinted glasses.
Yep, Melbourne was nicknamed Smellbourne in the 1890s owing to how much (literal) shit and everything else was just getting dumped into the Yarra.