Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Waiting...and waiting...a very big snowfall landed overnight (still pumping down too). Most of the ski fields here (Myoko at the moment) are having huge problems dealing with the volume, extreme negative temps, and strong winds in order to open chairlifts for the day. I would quite like to get out there and savour this delicious pow smorgasbord but the chairs...!!!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might be for fashion? Bells are all over a pretty fugly accessory unless it is the knog or one of its lookalikes so I sure some people hide them away. How you ring it under the saddle is another thing.

Spend umpteen thousands on a sleek carbon fibre low drag co-efficient cafe racer uber ride and top it off with an awkward gong on the handlebars :D
Technically you don't need to ring it (at least in Vic) and you can just yell at people. From the VicRoads website:
A cyclist is required to have a bell or similar warning device on his or her bicycle. When overtaking other path users a cyclist should use this warning device, or his or her voice to warn others.

I'm always curious about what "similar warning device" actually means.
I had a (boring) argument with some cops in QLD about whether I was a fitted audible warning device, which was the QLD wording at the time, as the bike didn't work without me and I could make a variety of sounds to warn of different things; thus being far more effective then a bell, with the added benefit that I didn't have to move my hands off the brake in order to operate it...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm always curious about what "similar warning device" actually means.
I had a (boring) argument with some cops in QLD about whether I was a fitted audible warning device, which was the QLD wording at the time, as the bike didn't work without me and I could make a variety of sounds to warn of different things; thus being far more effective then a bell, with the added benefit that I didn't have to move my hands off the brake in order to operate it...
For no real good reason, I can do a good impersonation of the mighty bin chicken Ibis. i might have to exercise this fine talent while out n' about. A good sizes 'Gnnarrrrrr ..............gnarrrrrr.....' has to save lives :D I is guaranteed to get you wierd looks when Ibis whispering but isn't good enough to bea tthose airpods.

I was with @Asininedrivel with the approach too. I didn't put a bell on the roadie for a while since the Campag hub had a dual purpose.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Waiting...and waiting...a very big snowfall landed overnight (still pumping down too). Most of the ski fields here (Myoko at the moment) are having huge problems dealing with the volume, extreme negative temps, and strong winds in order to open chairlifts for the day. I would quite like to get out there and savour this delicious pow smorgasbord but the chairs...!!!
Just walk up! Earn your turns ;)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I find that ringing a bell only causes the walker in front to up out of their skin and immediately jump either left or right. A 50/50 chance it's into your path. Had an old codger have a go at me yesterday who was walking slap bang in the middle of the pathway. I called out about 5m from him that I was coming past on his right, he wasn't moving over so I slowed right down and as I came past him, he turned and said, "Lucky I seen your shadow, or you would have frightened the life out of me". I just rode on but should have schooled him in keeping to the left.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I find that ringing a bell only causes the walker in front to up out of their skin and immediately jump either left or right. A 50/50 chance it's into your path. Had an old codger have a go at me yesterday who was walking slap bang in the middle of the pathway. I called out about 5m from him that I was coming past on his right, he wasn't moving over so I slowed right down and as I came past him, he turned and said, "Lucky I seen your shadow, or you would have frightened the life out of me". I just rode on but should have schooled him in keeping to the left.
I've been referring to bells as pedestrian randomisers for a while.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Easy targets...
The only 2 senses needed to take a person out for a walk, dummified by blasting music in their ears and eyes down scrolling shitty social media.

Been riding a lot of bike paths, gravel and easy MTB lately as I'm trying to avoid an injury and the majority of people walking shared paths/trails are oblivious to their surroundings.

Not the younger generation either, middle age women seem to be the worst lately.

Might die down when the new year resolutions fall by the wayside.

fsdgdffg.jpg

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've been referring to bells as pedestrian randomisers for a while.
Yes, you can't win. You ring the bell and scare the life out of them and you ride past them and do the same. If it's possible, I ride right off the path and take a wide berth to save the whole issue but it's not always possible.
I've often heard the comment on the topic of shared pathways about a cyclist that "almost hit me" which really means, that someone on a bike simply passed them. They seem to think that we are blind and can't see them to go around safely or we would intentionally run into them. If I hit a pedestrian at speed, I'd be the one that came off second best.
They just need to understand that, yes, I can see you, and no, I'm not going to hit you for my safety rather than yours.

cammas

Seamstress
I commute a lot by bike path in Melbourne and I just let my hub do the talking as it will be no different to a bell because no one will hear it, as everyone has earphones and the like with their head buried in a phone. I also go through Southbank and that’s more like a game of getting through without putting a foot down, people are oblivious to it being a shared path.
Scooter riders are the scourge of the bike paths especially after market ones, as they fly along trying not to yield to anyone but it’s a game scooter rider who tries against this, let’s say, stout rider.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes, you can't win. You ring the bell and scare the life out of them and you ride past them and do the same. If it's possible, I ride right off the path and take a wide berth to save the whole issue but it's not always possible.
I've often heard the comment on the topic of shared pathways about a cyclist that "almost hit me" which really means, that someone on a bike simply passed them. They seem to think that we are blind and can't see them to go around safely or we would intentionally run into them. If I hit a pedestrian at speed, I'd be the one that came off second best.
They just need to understand that, yes, I can see you, and no, I'm not going to hit you for my safety rather than yours.
I hit a pedestrian in 2016 at about 20ks, luckily the two of us came out of it unscathed except for a few scratches. I saw him in the distance while I was sitting on 30ks, he was walking hand in hand with his misses, let go of her hand and walked to the other side of the path, then went back and walked hand in hand again. I thought it was safe to pass, but Just as I got a few meters away from them, he lets go of his misses hand, I start braking with both brakes and yelling at the same time, but he tries to run in front of me and jumps over the wheel and we both hit in midair.

The only 2 senses needed to take a person out for a walk, dummified by blasting music in their ears and eyes down scrolling shitty social media.

Been riding a lot of bike paths, gravel and easy MTB lately as I'm trying to avoid an injury and the majority of people walking shared paths/trails are oblivious to their surroundings.

Not the younger generation either, middle age women seem to be the worst lately.

Might die down when the new year resolutions fall by the wayside.

View attachment 396511
Yeah, Aussie don't do bike paths too well. When I ride through the CBD here you get a lot of Asian tourist groups, you can tell they come from a country where they commute on bikes, because you can zigzag all around them, and they don't even flinch. They always stop and turn their heads and look when they want to cross the path, that's what I always keep an eye on when I'm on the paths here.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Well worth the wait! There was about 1 full Australian season of snow up there! O'er waist deep in most places, super fluffy, and dry. But fuck me it was cold! I almost had to put a thermal shirt on for the last hour.

Just walk up! Earn your turns ;)
Would have been more of a swim.

IMG_20230125_110317145~2.jpg

Calm down...that 190cm isn't their claim for fresh snow.

Also bells are stupid. People upset that you don't have one would just find something else to be upset about because they hate bikes. They probably also kick their dog.

cammas

Seamstress
LTIH- strong winds blowing like anything while riding, get home from said ride and 30 minutes later wind dies out completely, seriously WTF.
Also front tyre decided to have a squirt while slowing pedalling up a hill, luckily not enough pressure to spray me, then did it again later in the ride, so now I have to top up the sealant but at least it’s doing its job and kept me going with little noticeable air pressure drop, that’s for tomorrow when it’s cooler.