Little Things You Hate

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bigger SSD are pretty cheap now, 1TB units for around the $100 mark.

Probably a good time to grab my big backup 2.5" drive and back it up on an SSD.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My computer woes were above my ability to fix.

I took it down to a local IT shop and asked them to fix it.

Ends up I had an intermittently faulting CPU which was an i7 10700f at only 18 months old. They had it for a week bench testing and checking, they did a good job. Replaced the CPU and I will probably have to scumtree the warranty CPU.

Gets it home, another fresh install of Windows... and find they have formatted my 2TB storage drive, the only 'spinny' drive I have on the computer as windows, programs and other storage requirements are handled by 2 x SSD's.

I havent back up the drive to another 2TB hard drive I have in my locker in work for about 3 years.

I specifically said, disconnect the 'big storage' HD and do what you want with the rest of it. Last 3 years of photos and videos (apart from what is on my phone or uploaded to Youtube) lost :confused:
Yeah that’s shit.

Windows 10 consumes about 15gb. So if your 2TB drive was full of your “stuff”, only a little is likely lost. If it had contained just 15tb of your “stuff”, most is likely gone as windows was written over the top.

The ultimate boot cb is a freeware collection of Linux software packages, supporting Fat and NTFS, which will let you recover your files. The TestDisk app will let you recover lost files.

It’s not a backup unless there are three copies and one is off site. Easy to say. Hard to implement long term.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah that’s shit.

Windows 10 consumes about 15gb. So if your 2TB drive was full of your “stuff”, only a little is likely lost. If it had contained just 15tb of your “stuff”, most is likely gone as windows was written over the top.

The ultimate boot cb is a freeware collection of Linux software packages, supporting Fat and NTFS, which will let you recover your files. The TestDisk app will let you recover lost files.

It’s not a backup unless there are three copies and one is off site. Easy to say. Hard to implement long term.
The old 2TB regular drive only had my photos, videos, music and documents on it. They had no need to format it.

The other 2 SSD's were 240gb for windows and programs only and 500gb for me to use as storage with the idea to move stuff to the big drive when it was getting full.

cammas

Seamstress
Looking good. My Mrs would definitely get along with Mrs Cammas colours and styles. Does come out great and giving new life to old unwanted stuff is a plus. Better to DIY than going to the local Guangzhou shop full of pre-aged chinese knockoffs - every area has a few of those new vintage shops.

It just does my head in that the sanding blocks and sandpaper come out after painting it. I find that hard to get used to :D I do admire that she gets stuff that I would pass on and make it work out somehow. Even the bedhead disappeared in the spare room. After all of that is has been commandeered by the fahn cat who seems to own everything by default anyhow. I sometimes wonder why I bother.
Cat looks mighty comfy!

We got the new base and mattress delivered today and the side rails are a touch too tight. Out comes the drills and wood chisel, take brackets off move them over 25mm and chisel out some of the Mrs handy work. Luckily she’s not fussed after all the effort she has put in distressing no one will see this bit hidden away, as she said “after all this work, that’s the bed we’re dying in!” All these years of of living with me has taken its toll on her :D.

Still need to do some of the top rails but it’s getting close to be done, I do have to say she does a stellar job of it and it’s looking good.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I use time machine for the iMac (auto backups to an external hard drive) and other devices backup over the air to iCloud regularly.
As @Haakon said, it's something Apple is very good at.
Its more for me about not being dicked around when there is a fault. Just swap it and move on. Although Time Machine is pretty good.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh I see...so you're 1 hour and 15 minutes late opening the gate for boarding, but now I am expected to rush? Fuck you Jetstar.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh I see...so you're 1 hour and 15 minutes late opening the gate for boarding, but now I am expected to rush? Fuck you Jetstar.
To then stand in line at the gait for another hour lol.

Was on my way back from the goldy with the family last school holidays when all the turmoil due to staff shortages etc.
Coolangatta, so happy enough waiting for delays out in the general terminal where you can at least get a seat. But no Jetstar open the gait knowing full well the plane hadn't even arrived yet and started making announcements to go to gait. By the time we actually boarded everyone was sitting on the floor lol.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Its more for me about not being dicked around when there is a fault. Just swap it and move on. Although Time Machine is pretty good.
Three Macs in the house all backup to a NAS in mirrored RAID, that NAS then backs up to another local NAS but only one drive. I also do remote backups every once in awhile, probably due again to do it which is just a spinny drive sent to my parents, labelled very well so it doesn’t get borrowed.

Also have iCloud backups of phones, photos are also then stored on one Mac plus get downloaded through a Docker container directly to NAS each night.

Haven’t had to call in anything in anger yet to test it properly. Have had some drive failures over the years which have been detected but only ever in mirrored RAID which just gets rebuilt when you drop a new drive in.

Did have one funny (not actually laughing though) failure after I expanded a RAID array from 2x2TB drives to 2x4TB drives. Hit the 2TB limit which was a software error and could only read the data. Problem was I didn’t have enough spare capacity on other drives to move the data around. Ended up dropping a backup NAS offline and borrowing drives to store data then rebuilt everything back up. Was pretty nervous when I was rebuilding the RAID array as I was exposed and it’s not uncommon for drives to fail when pushing them rebuilding arrays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
The travel environment is changing.
In the last few months I have had 2 opportunities to travel to NZ. Both times I looked at both Qantas and AirNZ and both times Qantas had more convenient times and cheaper flights. Two weeks after the second booking I looked at AirNZ and noted flights had changed again and it actually would have been cheaper to fly with them. Flight times were also more convenient.

Things to remember; airlines track your lookups and their pricing slowly increases the more you look at individual flights without booking.
I use a private browser window for lookups to get around this bastardry.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The travel environment is changing.
In the last few months I have had 2 oppurtunities to travel to NZ. Both times I looked at both Qantas and AirNZ and both times Qantas had more convenient times and cheaper flights. Two weeks after the second booking I looked at AirNZ and noted flights had changed again and it actually would have been cheaper to fly with them. Flight times were also more convenient.

Things to remember; airlines track yout lookups and their pricing slowly increases the more you look at individual flights without booking.
I use a private browser window for lookups to get around this bastardry.

No way...the airline industry is a clean and competitive market based on offering passengers a good deal.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a company I know that put in a new ERP system 18 months ago and still has problems processing invoices. So when invoices are not paid this company gets put on a no delivery before payment list. This is with dozens of suppliers and is still happening.

Who would have guessed that when you put in a business critical application suite with inadequate budget, staffing and testing this would happen ?

ROTFLMAO

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
A client of mine has transitioned to SAP. Amidst all that fuckery, they have lumped all their suppliers with the requirement to send invoices through that system. Yet they haven't sorted it and its invoicing day today.
Sounds like a company I know that put in a new ERP system 18 months ago and still has problems processing invoices. So when invoices are not paid this company gets put on a no delivery before payment list. This is with dozens of suppliers and is still happening.

Who would have guessed that when you put in a business critical application suite with inadequate budget, staffing and testing this would happen ?

ROTFLMAO
Apparently, it's a standard practice, once one's business gets big enough to be able to Stop All Progress, they engage one of the large professional services firms to roll it out. Generally they either ignore or declare that they don't require any up front customisation, roll out the same as the last fucked implementation of whatever ERP it is, and then charge the client a fortune to slowly polish the turd.

From what I've seen it's one of the most fucked user interfaces possible, and the size of the roll out is inversely proportional to the amount of training and guidance provided.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I have a confirmed PO number so I'm just going to send it to a manager and they can sort it out. Surely there is a back up process where invoices can be manually processed.

I actually enquired at least a month ago to avoid being in this situation and they still haven't sorted their shit out. When I chased them up last week they sort of made it out like it was my issue and will have to wait until they sort it out. Go figure.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
While SAP is bad, SunSystems is fucking tragic ERP software that will force you to reconsider life itself. I’ve PTSD from that shit that will last me a lifetime