Little Things You Hate

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We were up at Derby last year and there was a young family camped next to us; Mum, Dad, a couple of young boys. Dad was on a 10+ year olds Giant Trance, Mum on an older XTC and the boys on Fluid branded Anaconda MBT's. They were lovin' it! We spoke to them a bit and they reckoned it was the best fun they had together in a long time. You would think the kids were at Disneyland.
Somehow I don't think spending 10x the money is 10x the fun.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
We were up at Derby last year and there was a young family camped next to us; Mum, Dad, a couple of young boys. Dad was on a 10+ year olds Giant Trance, Mum on an older XTC and the boys on Fluid branded Anaconda MBT's. They were lovin' it! We spoke to them a bit and they reckoned it was the best fun they had together in a long time. You would think the kids were at Disneyland.
Somehow I don't think spending 10x the money is 10x the fun.
Yeah, if the carbon Trance and the Orange were stolen I'd go and buy the base model alloy Trance for $4ish K and pocket the change...

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My brother popped into lbs to get pricing on new Hightower. GX kicking off at $14k. He is taking another hard look at Canyon.
Or you could do the brotherly thing and build him something.

Carbonda FM1003 or FM1002, lots of sweet stuff, you’d come in under 14K for a much better build, and almost good as new bike day is building a sweet bike for a family member. And you might have parts to help get him going, lessen the financial hit, or know someplace for buying and selling of parts……

That FM1003 cost zooks $1150 usd.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Designed by a dude from Adelaide. Bowmesiter was bought out and employed to work with CBs new wheels. I would try if I had a 29r and money.
I ran into him a couple of times on PWT when he was riding his Kalimoxto Bronson. Really nice bloke. Would've bought a set of his BC Tamar wheels on the spot at the time if I had the coin. A Synthesis wheelset seemed the next best thing - I run them without inserts through some pretty angry terrain and they love it.

I hope Bouwmeester restarts BC Composites again at some point. His Insta feed shows he's building caravans currently(!)

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Or you could do the brotherly thing and build him something.

Carbonda FM1003 or FM1002, lots of sweet stuff, you’d come in under 14K for a much better build, and almost good as new bike day is building a sweet bike for a family member. And you might have parts to help get him going, lessen the financial hit, or know someplace for buying and selling of parts……

That FM1003 cost zooks $1150 usd.

He already has 2 bikes. He just has a case of N+1.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cheap bikes are cheap bikes, life is way too short to spend your entire life repairing crap bikes. When I was close to 100kgs I used to make the 3 piece cranks come loose in the BB, went to the LBS they put in a quality spindle, and the same thing occurs within a month. Then a friend talked me into buying an XT hollowtech crankset with the outboard BB, oooh man was that part a thing of beauty back then, cost more than the original bike itself but it never came loose again, easier to clean and work on. :)

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Cheap bikes are cheap bikes, life is way too short to spend your entire life repairing craps bikes. When I was close to 100kgs I used to make the 3 piece cranks come loose in the BB, went to the LBS they put in a quality spindle, and the same thing occurs within a month. Then a friend talked me into buying an XT hollowtech crankset with the outboard BB, oooh man was that part a thing of beauty back then, cost more than the original bike itself but it never came loose again, easier to clean and work on. :)
I'll back that up. I killed a Big W bike in 3 months doing the distances I normally do.

Of course I never, ever, not in a million years use it to justify a purchase now, nope, not me :rolleyes:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Cheap bikes are cheap bikes, life is way too short to spend your entire life repairing crap bikes. When I was close to 100kgs I used to make the 3 piece cranks come loose in the BB, went to the LBS they put in a quality spindle, and the same thing occurs within a month. Then a friend talked me into buying an XT hollowtech crankset with the outboard BB, oooh man was that part a thing of beauty back then, cost more than the original bike itself but it never came loose again, easier to clean and work on. :)
There’s cheap, and then there’s just not expensive… Deore, not acera.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d put forward that even the more reasonably priced group sets , Acer a etc , are 10 times better that the deore xt of 5 yrs ago.
The higher end , XT super duper scram etc , it’s more weight weening , than actual build or performance , I think an XT rear derailleur with Standard rear cassette is a win , xt brakes but wit the adjustable strength levers , ice tek rotors , tho - I rate them . ( but I’m fat )
chains - dura ace , if only for the coating .
rims , get good uns - they do feel nicer

Keep in mind , I’ve only ridden my bike like 2 kms since May ……….

Flow-Rider

Burner
I’d put forward that even the more reasonably priced group sets , Acer a etc , are 10 times better that the deore xt of 5 yrs ago.
The higher end , XT super duper scram etc , it’s more weight weening , than actual build or performance , I think an XT rear derailleur with Standard rear cassette is a win , xt brakes but wit the adjustable strength levers , ice tek rotors , tho - I rate them . ( but I’m fat )
chains - dura ace , if only for the coating .
rims , get good uns - they do feel nicer

Keep in mind , I’ve only ridden my bike like 2 kms since May ……….
I replaced a 10sp xt 780 shifter a few months ago that I've had for about 9 years across a few bikes with a new deore, and I can notice the difference in shifting, it works but doesn't feel nice or as direct as the old XT I had. Pretty sure the XT was heavier too as the Deore shifter is all plastic.