Little Things You Hate

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Americans work for their tips. Table service, checking in if foods ok, any more drinks, fresh cutlery the second a kid throws one on the floor.
Aussie hospitality is walking into an empty restaurant, getting some menus yourself, and being told to order at the counter when you're ready by some nonchalant 17yr old who doesn't look up from their phone.
Getting suggested tips at those places annoys me. I'm happy to pay 20% or more if I visit the US though.
I agree to a point - but the service you get at many higher end restaurants is above and beyond anything I’ve experienced in the US and where tips really are warranted.

I bartended in a few 1 and 2 hat restaurants in uni, and the wait staff and sommeliers there deserved every cent of their tips - 15-20% was the norm. They got paid the same award wage, but the tips reflected their encyclopaedic knowledge of the menu and every variation of dietaries, attention to detail, massive wine and beverage knowledge and real effort to always be personable and hospitable - all from hours of unpaid study and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Over the short time I have worked in hospitality I have seen a few tips. My favourite was either $20 from a table I wasn't even working on because they noticed how shit the rest of the stuff were and thought I was killing it or a $10 from a dad who had brought his family for dinner that included ab adult son with an ASD whom I had gotten on well with...even if he did want to mix our top shelf rum with coke!

As a general rule I reckon tips suck. Among the people I have worked with those who bitch and moan about not getting tips or poor tips tend to be the people that deserve them the least. But working for a minimum wage also sucks. Employers should be doing better to encourage and retain good staff, fostering the kind of service in venues that makes people want to spend their money.

Don't want to leave a financial tip? Try:
  • shouting a round of drinks for the staff, they love that.
  • bring enough birthday cake to your party for the staff to get a slice.
  • let their boss know that they were a key part of having a good night. Too much negative feedback flows through and good staff don't often get a pat on the back.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to watching first round of the world rally championship only to find its moved to stan sports. Cant justify paying for stan, then the extra for the sports option for wrc events that are about one a month. Cant wait for some streaming options to go out of business so we get some decent consolidation. I guess i should be glad i dont need 4 packages just to follow football.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looking forward to watching first roind if the world rally championship only to find its mived to stan sports. Cant justify paying for stan, then the extra for the sports option for wrc events that are about one a month. Cant wait for some streaming options to go out of business so we get some decent consolidation. I guess i should be glad i dont need 4 packages just to follow football.
I have been watching some of the testing. Weird sound.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
nbn scheduled maintenance between 0300 and 0500. Wouldn’t normally be a problem but I can’t turn off any of the lights in my house because they’re all Smart Globes. Im too lazy to venture outside to the fusebox so it appears im stuck in some mad Guantanamo Bay style sleep-deprivation type bollocks.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I just removed a load of old leadlight and brass light shades from our storage area today, about 8-9 in total. It would be a shit thing to smash and dump them as they are probably worth money to the right person... though I want them gone for free.

Still considering my options, took a pic to put on the local page for free but want them all gone to 1 pick up. Not posted yet as I cant be arsed with people calling today.
Too late to ask for a couple of pics? No guarantees mind.......

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I agree to a point - but the service you get at many higher end restaurants is above and beyond anything I’ve experienced in the US and where tips really are warranted.

They got paid the same award wage, but the tips reflected their encyclopaedic knowledge of the menu and every variation of dietaries, attention to detail, massive wine and beverage knowledge and real effort to always be personable and hospitable - all from hours of unpaid study and training.
Yeah, this sort of thing is f-ed.
Paying experienced staff award at places where average bill might be $300+/head and expecting tips is just being a shit boss.

I've been to a few 'high end' places in Sydney and overseas. Not really my preferred scene. If my waiter at Quay (a few years back) was being paid award wage I'd say the same thing to Mr Gilmore. That place was pricey af (and not worth it - IMO). They also had a line on the bill for the 15-20% tip already calculated from memory.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Who were the "celebrity" chefs and restauranteurs that all got busted for underpaying their staff a little while back?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Looking forward to watching first round of the world rally championship only to find its moved to stan sports. Cant justify paying for stan, then the extra for the sports option for wrc events that are about one a month. Cant wait for some streaming options to go out of business so we get some decent consolidation. I guess i should be glad i dont need 4 packages just to follow football.
Stan really need to fuck off out of the sports game unless they include it as part of the overall package. I'm not paying extra just for the Champions League and a motorsports series that isn't really suited for live viewing.

Is there any WRC coverage / highlights on Red Bull TV?

smaj

Likes Dirt
We’re having unscheduled maintenance here (i.e. something went up in flames), and I’m beginning to realise how many basic things I have need Internet. I’m WFH and luckily can tether my phone to the work laptop to get by, but no streaming music and too lazy to figure out how to get the old method to work again, so just complaining about it instead :)