Little Things You Hate

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
The argument regarding choice of school and their perspective on correct deity is probably the same as voting when the NBN was a major election topic.
It should be obvious that one party had the best overall NBN perspective, but not necessarily the best benefit overall, and we got what we did as a result. Same with schools, why forgo a more suitable education for your kids because of one specific aspect?
Clearly the marketing didn't work too well on the NBN that we ended up with either.

indica

Serial flasher
The argument regarding choice of school and their perspective on correct deity is probably the same as voting when the NBN was a major election topic.
Yes, no... Money spent on a brainwashing organisation is the thing I take issue with.
The Catholic Church does not deserve my money.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And deadly. Is there a bigger reason for mass pogroms, extermination’s, cultural genocide, war after wars and take overs because ‘my god is better than your god’ or ‘you must now believe in my god’ ?
Fuck that shit. The sooner mankind matures and realises we don’t need religion and fuck it right off the better.
I believe you need to familiarise yourself with the bigger dick foreign policy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Don't lose sight of the fact that it is the kid's education that is important. If the best education involves being at a school run by a mainstream religion then to me it is a no brainer. Both my sons went to catholic schools, not my choice but after some fair investigation was the best option. Neither son was forced to participate in religious education or activities. One was a more academic school with sport and music as solid focus. The other vocational focused and much more personal which was very important. Neither stream took time out of education to indoctrinate the kids with religion. Neither required communion or confirmation. Not sure about others experiences but it seems a lot of talking out of arses without first hand knowledge. A mate sent his son to a different denomination school because that was know to have the best social program which suited his son. Better that than getting lost and not getting a suitable education. Park your bias, it is about the kids.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Don't lose sight of the fact that it is the kid's education that is important. If the best education involves being at a school run by a mainstream religion then to me it is a no brainer. Both my sons went to catholic schools, not my choice but after some fair investigation was the best option. Neither son was forced to participate in religious education or activities. One was a more academic school with sport and music as solid focus. The other vocational focused and much more personal which was very important. Neither stream took time out of education to indoctrinate the kids with religion. Neither required communion or confirmation. Not sure about others experiences but it seems a lot of talking out of arses without first hand knowledge. A mate sent his son to a different denomination school because that was know to have the best social program which suited his son. Better that than getting lost and not getting a suitable education. Park your bias, it is about the kids.
So why do they identify as a religious organisation?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Tax reasons.

Today private schools in Australia receive 75% of all federal funding. We have gone a long way past just bringing poor Catholic parish schools up to public school standards. These days the poor schools across Australia, those needing help, are public schools. Today we don’t just fund Catholic schools, we now fund all religious schools including two Scientology schools with fewer than 50 students, each receiving almost $10,000 per student every year from the public purse. We also fund 31 Exclusive Brethren schools that in many cases get more government funding per student than nearby government schools.
If you were a parent, you send your kids to a better funded school.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Apologies of this seems cherry picked, it's the first one I found but it doesn't sound very optional to me -

Religious Education (RE) is an additional and compulsory KLA for all students in Catholic schools.

"Students in Years 7-12 are invited into a deeper and more personal relationship with God through their exploration of the sacred Scriptures, their participation in personal and communal prayer, and their living out of Catholic social and moral teaching through works of ministry."

creaky

XMAS Plumper
"Students in Years 7-12 are invited into a deeper and more personal relationship with God through their exploration of the sacred Scriptures, their participation in personal and communal prayer, and their living out of Catholic social and moral teaching through works of ministry."
If you knew anything about religion, you would know that translates into:

"Students in Years 7-12 are invited to watch the sacred scriptures including every John Grisham and Tom Clancy novel converted to a movie”

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Used to get these sorts of calls/texts/emails very rarely, I’d it just me or are the really regular, and more elaborate lately?
I get a few per week also. Probably harvested your details from a FB breach a few years ago.

If you are in the mood then string them along and waste their time. That is what they are investing in you so use it how you like.

When the script gets to a critical part, like you AnyDesk ID then tell them you can't hear them and hang up. They will keep calling and calling back.

They got pissy on me when I told them that I hope the Covid situation was getting better in Western Bengal. Don't know why, I thought it was a nice gesture. People are hard to please.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Neither required communion or confirmation. Not sure about others experiences but it seems a lot of talking out of arses without first hand knowledge. A mate sent his son to a different denomination school because that was know to have the best social program which suited his son. Better that than getting lost and not getting a suitable education. Park your bias, it is about the kids.
Where the catholic school is probably dictates the rules they set for accepting kids..
Where we are in Melb (midde ring burbs) the local catholic primary school wouldn’t accept our kids as they weren’t baptised catholic. Wife is greek orthodox and baptised them in that flavour.. Not the right type of Christian for them.. There was a couple of spots for non catholics but it was at the priest’s discretion. We had to have a couple of meetings with priest and attend mass regularly so he could see we were committed.. So that put us off instantly. Not interested in going to a school where the priest decides who comes and goes..
The secondary schools won’t even look at you unless your kids sacraments aren’t up to date.. The rush of baptisms, communions and confirmations in grade 5/6 from non religious families was hilarious.. A mate who was raised muslim tried to get his un-baptised son into a well known catholic boys secondary school.. Only way he would get in is if there was a free spot after all the catholic raised kids had passed on it.. Baptised catholics come first at that school..
This is a part of Melbourne though where there are good state schools. Both public/private/independent are all packed from over-population so the independent/Catholic schools can pick and choose..

Flow-Rider

Burner
We had new neighbours with a dyslexic kid and they couldn't find a school that had a suitable program to take him, so the wife moved back to where they had come from 320kms away as he still had employment locally. The father was actually part of the stolen generation and I was a bit surprised when he said it was a good Catholic school.

moorey

call me Mia
I think FB are just trolling me now. I've had bans in the past that I can see that comments taken out of context could seem inappropriate:

'I could tell you where to by Michelin tyres currently, but I'd have to kill you'

'Burn the witch!' (to a mate on our private club members only page who somehow was on there despite lapsed membership'

But the latest 7 day ban, I have to LOL.

I'm on a private page for one of my Favourite podcasts. It's an american podcast. It's fathers day there, so I commented in a thread:

'You Americans and your crazy Fathers Day dates! To all the dads out there, have a good one'

7 day full FB ban for breaching community standards with hate speech.....many lols....other than I need FB for committee discussions leading up to the race this weekend. DOH!

Lucaw

Next in line
I think FB are just trolling me now. I've had bans in the past that I can see that comments taken out of context could seem inappropriate:

'I could tell you where to by Michelin tyres currently, but I'd have to kill you'

'Burn the witch!' (to a mate on our private club members only page who somehow was on there despite lapsed membership'

But the latest 7 day ban, I have to LOL.

I'm on a private page for one of my Favourite podcasts. It's an american podcast. It's fathers day there, so I commented in a thread:

'You Americans and your crazy Fathers Day dates! To all the dads out there, have a good one'

7 day full FB ban for breaching community standards with hate speech.....many lols....other than I need FB for committee discussions leading up to the race this weekend. DOH!
and people ask why i don't have facebook

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
@moorey there is a solution to this: if you stop trying to use Facebook your issues with Facebook will drastically reduce. I have conclusive proof that avoiding Facebook also stops you getting banned from Facebook. If you must use Facebook, speak in its language. Avoid complete words, grammar, spelling, patience, manners and friendliness. Respond to all correspondence with threats, but by misspelling everything and getting random with apostrophes the algorithms won't pick it up.