Little Things You Hate

moorey

call me Mia
The proliferation of scammers ringing up and pretending to help you with something while trying to actually fleece you.
They're shameless, and bloody convincing at times, and I can see how they get so many people.
They almost got me today claiming that our 30 day free Amazon trial test had been cancelled had actually been accidental charging us for the last few months and she’d help me cancel it and arrange a refund on the $60ish we were owed back. Couldn’t be done by the Amazon site of course, only she could help over the phone.
I played along to see where she was going with it until she tried to direct me to download an app that would let her access my phone and the Amazon account settings. Lol. Right.
I said I that she sounded like a scammer….click, she hung up.

Used to get these sorts of calls/texts/emails very rarely, I’d it just me or are the really regular, and more elaborate lately?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The proliferation of scammers ringing up and pretending to help you with something while trying to actually fleece you.
They're shameless, and bloody convincing at times, and I can see how they get so many people.
They almost got me today claiming that our 30 day free Amazon trial test had been cancelled had actually been accidental charging us for the last few months and she’d help me cancel it and arrange a refund on the $60ish we were owed back. Couldn’t be done by the Amazon site of course, only she could help over the phone.
I played along to see where she was going with it until she tried to direct me to download an app that would let her access my phone and the Amazon account settings. Lol. Right.

Used to get these sorts of calls/texts/emails very rarely, I’d it just me or are the really regular, and more elaborate lately?
I've had few of the, I owe money to tax and are going to get locked up. Probably not scamming haha.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Covid hasn't hit these calls centres hard enough?

I was recently contacted about renewing my Amazon subscription...I have no subscriptions to streaming services.

I've had few of the, I owe money to tax and are going to get locked up. Probably not scamming haha.

I got that one recently. I'm pretty sure I am a long ay own th ATO priority list.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Ive been getting the amazon one every day for the last month...

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh I love taking those ATO scam calls!!!
I got one today that sounded like a 1980s computer voice saying that inland revenue was taking legal action against me. From a number in parramatta.

Just seems a very poorly planned attempt. A modern voice and the ATO might seem more likely totheir targets.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I love the scammers pretending to be Telstra IT support. Christ they can get pushy. Asking what service is in need of assistance often ends the call quickly. “Look mate, I look after 47 sites, I need account code, location, billing entity, service that you believe needs assistance, and the name of the person who raised the ticket”

My fav is pretend they have called a deputy commissioner from the ATO on his personal mobile, best they call the main line and ask for me as it’s illegal for me to take the call on a line that isn’t recorded. Leaves me quickly googling someone so I can drop a name. I no longer answer with my name when called from an unknown/blocked ID.

Sadly these fuxkers call when I’m too busy normally.

Have held them on the line for 25 mins fucking around before they realise they have been had.

moorey

call me Mia
I used to enjoy this when I had time. Another personal favourite is say “hang on I’ll get my mum/dad” and then hand the phone to the kids to continue the negotiation.
Until the kids download the app they want or hand over passwords and CC numbers :oops:
My daughter, particularly is bloody credulous about being sucked into stuff. I’m on the Commitee at her school having input into the curriculum. I’m lobbying for critical thinking component for all kids. Being a catholic school, they probably don’t want that.