Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Missus - 'Out on the patio, there's all this mud and leaves washed down from the garden somehow'

Me - WTF... impossible !

No, its came up the patio drain from a stormwater blockage.

Shoves hose down to clear the blockage, water bubbling up from the gap between the FULLY CEMENTED and fancy pattern patio and the house wall :mad:

No water disappearing, stormwater pipe broken under the patio, pissing out from the gap at the wall of the house and a step... maybe has been for years and now has leaves blocking where the pipes have separated.

Be fck'd if I'm digging up the patio.

The back left part of the house all drains into a rainwater tank and the overflow goes down a pipe, that tees into the patio drain, then drops into a common line that is clear... but the patio is fully undercover and gets no rain, so only the rainwater tank overflow.

Easiest solution, get rid of the rainwater tank and route the stormwater line from the back of the house down the fenceline at 1.5m height and tee into the original common stormwater line after it exits the side of the cemented patio pad. I wont see the white pipe as we have a screen around the roofline for privacy... neighbour will get to see it though.

Looks like tomorrow is sorted FFS :rolleyes:
insewerants?

cammas

Seamstress
We kept having issues with the back of the house gutters overflowing after we built the veranda, everyone kept saying it was too much roof space (?) for the gutter to handle put in a box gutter. Son pulls the sheets off drops in a box gutter for me seemed to settle it down.
Following summer we decided to put in an outdoor spa, so had to redo the area next to veranda, which was covered in layers of Tuscan rock, so I pulled out the retaining wall and got a bloke in with a bobcat to make a clean slate to start from. Bobcat starts and gets a few buckets out then starts sinking and getting bogged, WTF?
End up having to dig it out the whole area by hand, to find that the dick who had the house before us didn’t lay the storm pipes properly ie just placed all the rock straight on top of the pipes. It split the pipe in multiple places so every time it rained, it just seeped into the soil but being under all the rock we couldn’t see it. Son came in layed new pipe properly so there was no need for all the other work, FFS.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Missus - 'Out on the patio, there's all this mud and leaves washed down from the garden somehow'

Me - WTF... impossible !

Shoves hose down to clear the blockage, water bubbling up from the gap between the FULLY CEMENTED and fancy pattern patio and the house wall :mad:

No water disappearing, stormwater pipe broken under the patio, pissing out from the gap at the wall of the house and a step... maybe has been for years and now has leaves blocking where the pipes have separated.

The back left part of the house all drains into a rainwater tank and the overflow goes down a pipe, that tees into the patio drain, then drops into a common line that is clear... but the patio is fully undercover and gets no rain, so only the rainwater tank overflow.

Easiest solution, get rid of the rainwater tank and route the stormwater line from the back of the house down the fenceline at 1.5m height and tee into the original common stormwater line after it exits the side of the cemented patio pad. I wont see the white pipe as we have a screen around the roofline for privacy... neighbour will get to see it though.

At least its only a drainage problem... Fuckwit plumbers I had fix some gutters when we had this place rented out didnt bother connecting the down pipe to the underground pipe - so a couple of wet winters it was dumping onto the ground instead. So now that corner of the house has sunk on its footings a couple of inches as the clay went soft. Kirsty wants to try to get the insurance to cover the $8K for a geo resin injection, but I dont rate her chances....

cammas

Seamstress
Here’s some photos from when we did it, as we had to get all the rocks out so bobcat could come back the next day to fill his truck, so it was Mrs and I on the shovel to get done in time. To make it worse I’m never been happy with how it ended up so after I finish the front yard I’m going to redo this area and the rest of the backyard.

IMG_8051.jpeg

IMG_8048.jpeg
IMG_8049.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Fuckwit plumbers
The perfect reason to attempt it yourself. Theres a lot of good ones out there but its a lottery of who you get if you dont know a good one.

Here’s some photos from when we did it, as we had to get all the rocks out so bobcat could come back the next day to fill his truck, so it was Mrs and I on the shovel to get done in time. To make it worse I’m never been happy with how it ended up so after I finish the front yard I’m going to redo this area and the rest of the backyard.

View attachment 399834
Another perfect reason why I'm taking the easy option, redoing about 3 square metres of patio would be a massive job. Besides, even if I could access the broken pipe easily, I'd be deleting the rainwater tank regardless.

safreek

Me - WTF... impossible !

Are you going to have the pipe directed towards your neighbors place, be a two in one bonus. Fucken neighbours

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The perfect reason to attempt it yourself. Theres a lot of good ones out there but its a lottery of who you get if you dont know a good one.

Another perfect reason why I'm taking the easy option, redoing about 3 square metres of patio would be a massive job. Besides, even if I could access the broken pipe easily, I'd be deleting the rainwater tank regardless.
I would have, but we were in Canberra at the time…

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Are you going to have the pipe directed towards your neighbors place, be a two in one bonus. Fucken neighbours
Are you my rear neighbour? Fuck. We built and had massive flooding issues in our backyard afterwards. Turned out rear neighbour had a 100mm stormwater pipe just pointed at our back fence. Had previously just run down the side of our yard and under the fence into our neighbours
Complained to him directly and got told there’s no other way. Complained to council who agreed it was f-ed.
Rather than fight through courts/council, I put an extra 2-3k of plumbing, a drain, and many metres of ag pipe across my back fence. Then turns out they must have done something because it hasn’t poured out that pipe since… thanks for the communication Saf!!

Plumbing sucks when it isn’t done right.

safreek

Are you my rear neighbour? Fuck. We built and had massive flooding issues in our backyard afterwards. Turned out rear neighbour had a 100mm stormwater pipe just pointed at our back fence. Had previously just run down the side of our yard and under the fence into our neighbours
Complained to him directly and got told there’s no other way. Complained to council who agreed it was f-ed.
Rather than fight through courts/council, I put an extra 2-3k of plumbing, a drain, and many metres of ag pipe across my back fence. Then turns out they must have done something because it hasn’t poured out that pipe since… thanks for the communication Saf!!

Plumbing sucks when it isn’t done right.
Oh I'm probably that bastard.
Does the waste water smell like real strong chemicals.
If you see a minimum of 20 visitors with some of them coming 2 or 3 times, yeah that's me :D

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Oh I'm probably that bastard.
Does the waste water smell like real strong chemicals.
If you see a minimum of 20 visitors with some of them coming 2 or 3 times, yeah that's me :D
FYI, there's a thread for that:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I mean, between group chats with mates, work, siblings, wider family, and various kids sports team chats…

I have a hard time remembering which ones I can swear in, which ones appreciate memes, and which ones I should mute permanently for incessant whinging about nothing in particular. Group chat etiquette, it’s tough!
Yep, I once wrote "shit cunts" in a messenger group chat in reference to an awful effort by the hawthorn sportsball club. No issue with writing it.

The issue was that instead of writing it in the footy chat group, I wrote it in the extended family chat group that has around 70-80 relos in it :cool:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Yep, I once wrote "shit cunts" in a messenger group chat in reference to an awful effort by the hawthorn sportsball club. No issue with writing it.

The issue was that instead of writing it in the footy chat group, I wrote it in the extended family chat group that has around 70-80 relos in it :cool:
At least you get to have a quiet, peaceful Christmas now.

safreek

I mean, between group chats with mates, work, siblings, wider family, and various kids sports team chats…

I have a hard time remembering which ones I can swear in, which ones appreciate memes, and which ones I should mute permanently for incessant whinging about nothing in particular. Group chat etiquette, it’s tough!
I sent this gif to say something was all cool.
Apparently I am a digital blackface person. Never heard of anything so fucken stupid
Don't ban me for being a Nazi fucker white supremacist
IMG_20230525_114037.gif