Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Victorian roads can eat a bag of dicks, then go fuck themselves with a secondhand buttplug.

After the nonstop drive across, unload and return, I feel like I've done 10 rounds in an MMA cage.

As Dan said, why would you want to go there?
Its not Victoria, its everywhere... Australia cant build roads for shit, and they certainly cant built them for the all heavy vehicle traffic they increasingly get.

Throw in a bunch of wet weather and its potholes for all.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Its not Victoria, its everywhere... Australia cant build roads for shit, and they certainly cant built them for the all heavy vehicle traffic they increasingly get.

Throw in a bunch of wet weather and its potholes for all.
Agreed. Why they use hot mix on roads that they know are going to carry heavier traffic like trucks has to come down to cost. Although the ongoing repairs of potholes must push the lifecycle costs through the roof.

I read somewhere that the US uses up to 12 inches of concrete on their larger highways. Makes sense since I'll bet highway 101 hasn't been resurfaced since Clint Eastwood made Dirty Harry movies. Any major road here with a tarry black looking surface turns to rubbish once trucks get on it regularly.

Haakon

Agreed. Why they use hot mix on roads that they know are going to carry heavier traffic like trucks has to come down to cost. Although the ongoing repairs of potholes must push the lifecycle costs through the roof.

I read somewhere that the US uses up to 12 inches of concrete on their larger highways. Makes sense since I'll bet highway 101 hasn't been resurfaced since Clint Eastwood made Dirty Harry movies. Any major road here with a tarry black looking surface turns to rubbish once trucks get on it regularly.
I will give Vic a kick though for the Hume - its a nice enough run for the most part in NSW, but cross the Murray and its a bloody goat track...

Cement is the only way to go for major highways. Although even those in NSW are starting to crack in a few places... One big crack i didnt see in time had me clenching and wondering if the 45 series sidewalls on the Alfa were going to survive...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I will give Vic a kick though for the Hume - its a nice enough run for the most part in NSW, but cross the Murray and its a bloody goat track...
The Hume in Vic was just starting to blow apart badly before the floods, but with all the media hype around the damaged roads during the floods and on the run-up to the state election it all got fixed up in record time.

Haakon

The Hume in Vic was just starting to blow apart badly before the floods, but with all the media hype around the damaged roads during the floods and on the run-up to the state election it all got fixed up in record time.
I bet it was still with thin shitty hot mix on badly prepared aggregate... Will last two years tops and be just as shitty as it was before the floods.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Although even those in NSW are starting to crack in a few places... One big crack i didnt see in time had me clenching and wondering if the 45 series sidewalls on the Alfa were going to survive...
I'd bet that potholes are partly why SUV's / 4WD's more popular. I have 40 series on the Mazda and share your pain :(

Haakon

I'd bet that potholes are partly why SUV's / 4WD's more popular. I have 40 series on the Mazda and share your pain :(
Quite likely... I was toying with the idea of getting the optional 18 inch alloys for the alfa to replace the 17s on it, now pondering the 16s with Tassie roads...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Quite likely... I was toying with the idea of getting the optional 18 inch alloys for the alfa to replace the 17s on it, now pondering the 16s with Tassie roads...
I have thought the same. A decent wack on a thinnish wheel isn't going to end well. Apart from having what I would assume a bit slower acceleration then it doesn't to be that bad an idea. Cheaper tyres too.

Haakon

I have thought the same. A decent wack on a thinnish wheel isn't going to end well. Apart from having what I would assume a bit slower acceleration then it doesn't to be that bad an idea. Cheaper tyres too.
You'll get better acceleration and ride quality on smaller wheels as they're lighter! Less unsprung mass.