Little Things You Hate

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Being proud of something you had absolutely no control over. Be proud of your achievements, not something that randomly happened to you.
You wouldn't be proud to have brown hair, or to have green eyes, or to be over 5'2" bla bla. Why be proud of being born in a particular country? You had nothing to do with it.
Being proud to be Australian......or any nationality for that matter....I just don't get it.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Being proud of something you had absolutely no control over. Be proud of your achievements, not something that randomly happened to you.
You wouldn't be proud to have brown hair, or to have green eyes, or to be over 5'2" bla bla. Why be proud of being born in a particular country? You had nothing to do with it.
Being proud to be Australian......or any nationality for that matter....I just don't get it.
So you're George Carlin...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Fuck. I'm sorry. If I knew you were going to bump into my parents I would've given you a heads up. Not about the nationality bit per se, just the taking credit part

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Most people would be horrifed to know how much of the world depends on ancient languages no one learms anymore. The finance industry is a prime case
The past is the past though.

There is nothing we as a society can learn from history. Especially not in a financial way...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I’m horrified at the shitty culture that’s developing over Australia Day. People choosing to offer their sincere heartfelt sympathy to the Aboriginal people by only sharing their support on social media is putrid. I could not believe the way that some people I know very well who wrote some text basically condemning anyone that recognizes Australia Day; even read some stuff where a girl exclaimed she was anti-white people because of their history in Australia. She’s 100% of white heritage and has nothing to do with any kind of Aboriginal or indigenous culture. People are doing this purely for popularity on a social media surely?
I’m a basketball fan, huge basketball fan. I balled my eyes out when Australia won the bronze medal at the Olympics last year. The team was led so well by Patty Mills; a renowned advocate for not only the Aboriginal community but for the goodness of Australia as a whole. I was stoked to see Dylan Alcott named Australian of the Year but I wanted to see Patty get just ‘cause. He was acknowledged in Australia Day honors so that was great to see. Anyway, I had my Boomers jersey on yesty morning on the beach and doing my usual thing saying G’day to whoever walks by, I was told to get fucked twice by people wearing their Always was Always will be gear. I walk those beaches twice and sometimes three times a day and have never seen any of these crowds and can’t help but think they were out in force purely looking to tell people like me to fuck off. How sad.
My point? This is fueled by shitty journalism and fed by stupid people reading it and acting on it. It’s causing more grief and divide when it should be serving as a means of awareness and understanding. We should ALL be celebrating this country because we are outstanding and we deserve to be praised for the beautiful place we all live in. Instead of spreading hate about a topic that 99% of the people sprooking about it have no understand of, how about you shut up and don’t engage in it? You look fucking stupid and you only make things worse.
Australia is awesome. Say G’day to random people and enjoy this amazing place we live in.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
We should ALL be celebrating this country because we are outstanding and we deserve to be praised for the beautiful place we all live in.
Sorry, thats nonsense. Australians are absolutely not outstanding, we dont "deserve" to be praised for the accident of living in a nice bit of scenery. We certainly shouldn't be praised for looking after the aforementioned scenery...

Nationalism is for dumb people.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sorry, thats nonsense. Australians are absolutely not outstanding, we dont "deserve" to be praised for the accident of living in a nice bit of scenery. We certainly shouldn't be praised for looking after the aforementioned scenery...

Nationalism is for dumb people.
See, me replying with something that attacks you would be ironic; moronic even but I think your reply backs my point pretty effectively.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
See, me replying with something that attacks you would be ironic; moronic even but I think your reply backs my point pretty effectively.
lol. Not quite ;) Australia is fine, could be worse, could be better - like pretty much everywhere else.

Minlak

custom titis
I’m horrified at the shitty culture that’s developing over Australia Day. People choosing to offer their sincere heartfelt sympathy to the Aboriginal people by only sharing their support on social media is putrid. I could not believe the way that some people I know very well who wrote some text basically condemning anyone that recognizes Australia Day; even read some stuff where a girl exclaimed she was anti-white people because of their history in Australia. She’s 100% of white heritage and has nothing to do with any kind of Aboriginal or indigenous culture. People are doing this purely for popularity on a social media surely?
Heard some interesting stuff on a POD cast the other day about "Social Credit Score" - essentially the basis is you are rewarded for your social presence and beliefs with things like better interest rates on loans etc - Access to certain events and activities if you have a good social credit score - these are determined by your social media accounts - this is becoming main stream in the USA it seems - gathering momentum - the new fear is it will take a turn in the direction of the China social credit scores.

I don't celebrate Australia Day - that was just our family and upbringing no importance put on it at all - but there does seem to be a ground swell of support for erasing the past and or holding people accountable - Personally the state of Australia should be judged on what we are doing now - not what happened over 200 years ago.

Last edited: