Little Things You Hate

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
But that's not how religious studies are taught is it. It goes back to Moorey wanting to introduce critical thinking studies and how that would conflict with a religious school's agenda.

I think schools should teach religion but from an historical and cultural perspective. It helps everyone to understand people's beliefs and perspectives.
Maybe you should send your kids to a parochial school for a year, you'd definitely learn something.

It's not the 50s, or even the 80s anymore. At least in Catholic schools, RE is taught pretty much the same way science is. As in, "this is the information we believe to be true at this point in time, but it is up to you, to find your own evidence either way".

It's also now more of a moral compass, than a strict set of rules.

Religion and belief is not a bad thing in 99% of cases, it's churches and power hungry despots who twist it for their own gains that were the issue. Now it's media magnates and would be dictators who are using it for their own unrelated agendas.

FWIW: Raised a Catholic, currently swing between agnostic and atheist, married a Catholic school teacher, realised she was the devil, left said daemon, in a relationship with a, raised as communist atheist, with buddist/Hindu leanings.

It's all spice, live the way you think you should, and let others do the same.

it's a nice bridge...

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe and I'm happy to be corrected. But if those pseudo sciences were taught as fact in schools today then that's a problem.
Not really. If you haven’t explored and decided for yourself, you’re no better than flat earthers or homeopaths really.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It's not the 50s, or even the 80s anymore. At least in Catholic schools, RE is taught pretty much the same way science is. As in, "this is the information we believe to be true at this point in time, but it is up to you, to find your own evidence either way".
I went to a catholic school (being a school full of non-believers with access to amazing sporting competition) and our main teachings in religion related to watching popular comedy and crime movies. I think it was our favourite ‘class’ TBH.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Why wouldn't you discuss religion with your kids?

Any smart parent would want their children to be fully armed with an understanding of different beliefs, cultures, politics, sexualities, etc, and the tools to make their own informed decisions.
I didn't say I didn't, I just don't give it much time. The same reason I don't give flat earth theories, healing crystals or homeopathy much time either. Sure, talk about their existence and why they're nonsense but I wouldn't ignore them.